Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 11:43 AM

1,100 posts, read 796,256 times

Advertisements

May the Lord help you to follow this line of truth;

2 Peter 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Matthew 10:19 But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak.20 For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.

So everything that His disciples says was from the Holy Ghost. As led by the Spirit, even Paul makes it clear when he is the one speaking by permission and when the Lord is by commandment.

1 Corinthians 7:6 But I speak this by permission, and not of commandment.7 For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that.8 I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, it is good for them if they abide even as I.9 But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.10 And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband:11 But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife.12 But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.

Peter verified that the epistles of Paul were part of scripture.

2 Peter 3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

And as moved by the Holy Ghost, those words came from Jesus Christ, because Jesus Christ is our Good Shepherd.

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

Just as the fruits of the Spirit comes by Jesus Christ.

Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:.........11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

So all the 4 gospels, the epistles, and the sayings of His disciples were from Jesus Christ thru the Holy Spirit in those that had written His sayings for us to have to follow Him as His disciples & no other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 12:18 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Are there any MORE hoops we should jump through in order to replace the "Guide" Jesus promised with the Bible?

Old 02-28-2017, 12:23 PM

1,100 posts, read 796,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Are there any MORE hoops we should jump through in order to replace the "Guide" Jesus promised with the Bible?
How does seeing the books in the N.T. as scripture as moved by the Holy Ghost as replacing the Guide when we all need the Guide to see His written words in the N.T. by His disciples as scripture?

Old 02-28-2017, 12:30 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorInSpirit View Post
May the Lord help you to follow this line of truth;

2 Peter 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Matthew 10:19 But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak.20 For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.

So everything that His disciples says was from the Holy Ghost. As led by the Spirit, even Paul makes it clear when he is the one speaking by permission and when the Lord is by commandment.

1 Corinthians 7:6 But I speak this by permission, and not of commandment.7 For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that.8 I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, it is good for them if they abide even as I.9 But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.10 And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband:11 But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife.12 But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.

Peter verified that the epistles of Paul were part of scripture.

2 Peter 3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

And as moved by the Holy Ghost, those words came from Jesus Christ, because Jesus Christ is our Good Shepherd.

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

Just as the fruits of the Spirit comes by Jesus Christ.

Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:.........11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

So all the 4 gospels, the epistles, and the sayings of His disciples were from Jesus Christ thru the Holy Spirit in those that had written His sayings for us to have to follow Him as His disciples & no other.
The New Testament is a collection of commentary and opinion...

Old 02-28-2017, 12:47 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
How does seeing the books in the N.T. as scripture as moved by the Holy Ghost as replacing the Guide when we all need the Guide to see His written words in the N.T. by His disciples as scripture?
It doesn't. Our liberal friends seek license to make things up.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
What the perception does is turn people to "scripture" usually as the ONLY authority, but certainly the FIRST source of information INSTEAD of asking how any particular perception comports with the Spirit as checked by the characteristics Jesus taught about that Spirit. There has never been a more divisive perception in the history of Christianity that that we should look to scripture as authority. EVERY controversy in the history of the church has been ABOUT how to interpret "scripture."
It is that idea that is responsible for the fragmented "Christianity" we see today.

If we looked at "scripture" as a tool FOR the Spirit and if we were familiar with the controversies in the early church that are reflected in those books we would be able to see better how to conduct our lives and teach about the love of God expressed in community.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
It doesn't. Our liberal friends seek license to make things up.
Says our "conservative friend" who depends on doctrines of men for his perceptions.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:47 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Says our "conservative friend" who depends on doctrines of men for his perceptions.
This should make you happy, nate.

2 Peter 1

No prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.

Old 02-28-2017, 03:23 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
yeah, sure.
truth is, this below is when "His" word became YOUR religion:

The First Council of Nicaea was the first ecumenical council of the Church. Most significantly, it resulted in the first uniform Christian doctrine, called the Nicene Creed. With the creation of the creed, a precedent was established for subsequent local and regional councils of Bishops (Synods) to create statements of belief(!!!!) and canons of doctrinal orthodoxy—the intent being to define unity of beliefs for the whole of Christendom.

So that's what you all believe. Whatever THEy decided years back and whatever "local councils" decided years after.
Not a living word of the Christ.

And pay attention to the key word - creation.
Ah, yes indeed. The Holy Spirit worked through all of them (abate known for politics, greed, lust, misery, warmongary and what not. Politicians from religion, in short term)

Old 02-28-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
This should make you happy, nate.

2 Peter 1

No prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.
Well, yes, this refers to "prophecies," not "scripture." Doctrines of men try to make it apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity