Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 01:26 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times

Advertisements

http://patrickmadrid.com/st-patricks...-powerful-man/

A prayer and story of St. Patrick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 01:56 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,612,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Happy St. Patrick's Day, Janelle.

The beer is cold, the corned beef is cooking, the whiskey will flow. We will share a fire on the pond with the neighbors tonight. Someone will watch The Quiet Man, I am sure.

We count our blessings.

Old 03-17-2017, 02:58 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Green eggs and ham.

Old 03-17-2017, 04:05 PM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times

Old 03-17-2017, 06:43 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,707,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Green eggs and ham.
Mmmm....

Old 03-17-2017, 06:47 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,707,735 times
I have Irish ancestors so I've always enjoyed St. Patrick's day, even though someone posted some bad story about Saint Patrick on Facebook that I didn't look closely at. I don't know the history of St. Patrick. I assume he was a Catholic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk7i0IZBAho

Old 03-17-2017, 07:21 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Green eggs and ham.
Over 10 years since I last went to a bar on St Patrick's day . The last few weeks I was thinking about going down to my local Irish bar on St Patrick's day , got a text this morning from an Irish buddy of mine from Dublin who I used to play with down in Newport a few years back, asking to join him for a few pints, and watch him perform, I I did ��Let me say though, I enjoyed the music the Harp Lager($6 a pint ��), and the beautiful burger my wife did on the grill for me after I returned worse for wear. But why do do Americans go daft with an affinity to all things Irish and talk like they are from the Emerald island once a year. I work on an home of a popular Irish musician whose wife is all American , whenever I converse with her you would think she is born n bred in Ireland. What is all that about?.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:03 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
I have Irish ancestors so I've always enjoyed St. Patrick's day, even though someone posted some bad story about Saint Patrick on Facebook that I didn't look closely at. I don't know the history of St. Patrick. I assume he was a Catholic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk7i0IZBAho
Lol! Yes, I think his choices at the time were Catholic or Catholic.

But seriously, if you do want a brief overview of who he was, as well as a delightful and fascinating overall history of Ireland, read How The Irish Saved Civilization by Thomas Cahill.

How the Irish Saved Civilization https://g.co/kgs/AC6U99

Old 03-17-2017, 08:07 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Over 10 years since I last went to a bar on St Patrick's day . The last few weeks I was thinking about going down to my local Irish bar on St Patrick's day , got a text this morning from an Irish buddy of mine from Dublin who I used to play with down in Newport a few years back, asking to join him for a few pints, and watch him perform, I I did ��Let me say though, I enjoyed the music the Harp Lager($6 a pint ��), and the beautiful burger my wife did on the grill for me after I returned worse for wear. But why do do Americans go daft with an affinity to all things Irish and talk like they are from the Emerald island once a year. I work on an home of a popular Irish musician whose wife is all American , whenever I converse with her you would think she is born n bred in Ireland. What is all that about?.
The Irish retained a strong identity in the US. Look at the Fitzgeralds and the Kennedys. How about all those Irish-Americans who funded the IRA for so many years?

Old 03-17-2017, 08:13 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The Irish retained a strong identity in the US. Look at the Fitzgeralds and the Kennedys. How about all those Irish-Americans who funded the IRA for so many years?
For sure MQ, no problem with that, but when i hear the JFK Speech of "Ask not what your country can do for you" there is no hint that he's just set foot off the boat from Dublin in his speech. The Irish Americans that funded the IRA did not liberate Ireland from the British, any form of peace that exists, exists because of what the peaceful Irish brought about, no matter how it may appear that the IRA did.. . Desire regardless of nationality when centered on love and peace can never fail to be fufilled.

Last edited by pcamps; 03-17-2017 at 08:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity