Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 04:28 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,778,610 times

Advertisements

How do you think that heretics should be dealt with? I am referring to those people who cause people to question and to leave the Christian faith. Do you think that moralities have changed and progressed, and that it is better to not kill them today?

If you are a "traditional" Christian, do you think that it was right for heretics to be killed during past centuries by your Christian ancestors?

Do you see a parallel between the killing of Jesus and the killing of so-called "witches" or other heretics?

You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.
John 8:44
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 05:22 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,075,915 times
Shooting is too good for us...
Are heretics really responsible for people "leaving" the church simply because they are faced with questions that demand logical answers?

I see heretics as the people who manipulate and shame others to STAY in the church and DENY reasonable discussion.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:14 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,117,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Are heretics really responsible for people "leaving" the church simply because they are faced with questions that demand logical answers?
Logical - seems innocent enough, but we know that to be naturally minded (carnally - Romans 8) is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

God is spirit, and the logical mind can't believe in Him, and without faith it's impossible to please God.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:30 AM

32,928 posts, read 26,160,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
How do you think that heretics should be dealt with? I am referring to those people who cause people to question and to leave the Christian faith. Do you think that moralities have changed and progressed, and that it is better to not kill them today?

If you are a "traditional" Christian, do you think that it was right for heretics to be killed during past centuries by your Christian ancestors?

Do you see a parallel between the killing of Jesus and the killing of so-called "witches" or other heretics?

You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.
John 8:44
First of all, the term heretic needs to be defined. As the term applies to Christianity, a heretic is someone who while professing to be a Christian, corrupts the teachings or doctrines of the Christian faith that has once for all been handed down by the apostles to the saints.

A person who identifies himself or herself as a witch but who has never professed to be a Christian is not a heretic but is part of the Wicca religion. From the standpoint of Christianity she would be considered a pagan, but not a heretic.

No, it was never right to kill heretics. But heretical teachings need to be countered with the true teachings of the faith which were taught by the apostles who represented Jesus and His teachings. And a heretic in a local church assembly who insists on causing dissensions within that assembly should be banned from that assembly.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:35 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,432,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
** First of all, the term heretic needs to be defined. As the term applies to Christianity, a heretic is someone who while professing to be a Christian, corrupts the teachings or doctrines of the Christian faith that has once for all been handed down by the apostles to the saints.

A person who identifies himself or herself as a witch but who has never professed to be a Christian is not a heretic but is part of the Wicca religion. From the standpoint of Christianity she would be considered a pagan, but not a heretic.

No, it was never right to kill heretics. But heretical teachings need to be countered with the true teachings of the faith which were taught by the apostles who represented Jesus and His teachings. And a heretic in a local church assembly who insists on causing dissensions within that assembly should be banned from that assembly.
** Which is why so many people reject parts of or entirely the three historic Christian Creeds of the true faith:
  1. ATHANASIAN CREED
    • was written in combating two errors that undermined Bible teaching.
  2. NICENE CREED
    • was written in defense of the true Christian faith in order to safeguard the apostles’ teaching.
  3. APOSTLES’ CREED
    • is a brief statement of gospel truths taught by the apostles.
added thought: which all three creeds hold to the Deity of Jesus Colossians 2:9 ...

Last edited by twin.spin; 03-23-2017 at 08:52 AM..

Old 03-23-2017, 09:29 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,075,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Logical - seems innocent enough, but we know that to be naturally minded (carnally - Romans 8) is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

God is spirit, and the logical mind can't believe in Him, and without faith it's impossible to please God.
Don't fear the Nietzsche...

Old 03-23-2017, 01:09 PM

18,822 posts, read 27,268,040 times
Someone said:

It is destiny of all great religions
To start as heresy
And end
As superstition.

Which is very true, as look at what was done to say Christ, or Majavir, or Mohamed. Many true prophets and precursors of later accepted faiths were killed. And many religions came and vanished into becoming "cults" and "sects" or woodoo shmoodoo type things.

So how to know, who is heretic and who is next say Christ?

Old 03-23-2017, 02:10 PM

9,670 posts, read 9,938,192 times
If people need to follow heretics than they and the heretics will all be judged in the end through Jesus who hold the judgment seat in eternity , and the heretics to man may get a pass into heaven , but the heretics to God would be a grave error ......

Old 03-24-2017, 03:12 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,778,610 times
Well, my question was mainly directed at traditional/orthodox Christians. Has anyone here ever seen "The Crucible" by Henry Miller? It depicts a fictional story set during the Salem Witch trials. But I think it accurately shows how these people are. I think the traditional types are the kind of sheep-like people who are cowards. They don't want to make waves. So they would be like the majority of the townspeople in the story.

Anyone in that story who tried to stand up for the accused witches found themselves being accused of witchcraft also. I can see someone like Jesus standing up for them. But, as Gandhi said, "Christians are not like Jesus."

I think the are the polar opposite of Jesus.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:13 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,762,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Well, my question was mainly directed at traditional/orthodox Christians. Has anyone here ever seen "The Crucible" by Henry Miller? It depicts a fictional story set during the Salem Witch trials. But I think it accurately shows how these people are. I think the traditional types are the kind of sheep-like people who are cowards. They don't want to make waves. So they would be like the majority of the townspeople in the story.

Anyone in that story who tried to stand up for the accused witches found themselves being accused of witchcraft also. I can see someone like Jesus standing up for them. But, as Gandhi said, "Christians are not like Jesus."

I think the are the polar opposite of Jesus.
Using fiction, or hypotheticals, now who is being irrational.

Dang it.
You just reminded me of fractions. Stop it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity