Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 10:06 AM

14,473 posts, read 20,648,603 times

Advertisements

The minister seemingly expects young couples to go to the minister for guidance when considering marriage or starting a family. If they do not then the minister feels that she has failed the couple(s) and that the couple(s) did not have the confidence in the minister to tell their plans.

Is this a minister with higher than normal expectations?

Old 04-02-2017, 01:50 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
control, simply a means of control and at a later date instill guilt & shame

Old 04-02-2017, 02:24 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
If the ministry leans toward an arrogance then it is expected that people not have the confidence of the ministry , where as if the ministry is family of God then the pride will not be evident , so if there is a hierarchy in the church were people are devalued then couples may turn to court house to be married , see there may be different factors at play and it may depend on the heart of the couple and their level of confidence in the Lord , with the confidence in the leaders of the church

Old 04-02-2017, 03:58 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
The minister seemingly expects young couples to go to the minister for guidance when considering marriage or starting a family. If they do not then the minister feels that she has failed the couple(s) and that the couple(s) did not have the confidence in the minister to tell their plans.

Not enough information. The minister may well have conveyed the idea that she only has the best interest of the couple at heart and is a trustworthy and experienced counsellor, but that idea may have met with blocks in the perception of one or both of the people involved, often because OTHER "authority figures" have failed them.

All a minister can do is be faithful to her charge and maybe ask if a seriously involved couple would LIKE to talk about some of the things that will face them at ANY stage of their relationship.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:13 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:

I would say a broken brain is at work with the minister.

that is not to say guidance is a bad thing. adult guidance is a good thing, but not the only thing.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:18 PM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Quote:

That should NEVER EVER HAPPEN EVER, NO, I mean that it should NEVER EVER HAPPEN, EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A couple that submits under the authority of a minister is an enemy of their own house and their own authority and the two are one, their minister is not the third party.

I wouldn't recommend that a couple should EVER seek council of a preacher JUST BECAUSE they think the preacher has some sort of magical guidance that maybe he even says that you two shouldn't be married.

If you have to take a class of a preacher to get married, I would look at you in a very peculiar way.

Just don't.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:07 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,709,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
"she" was the key word in the OP.
This sexist comment is no surprise.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:

I am not a minister, however, I would not perform a marriage ceremony for two people who did not share something of themselves with me. I think it is normal for a minister to request a guidance meeting before performing a marriage. If these two think otherwise, why not go to the justice of the peace, etc. I think this situation shows that the minister realizes that marriage is a very serious thing and not to be entered into lightly or on a whim.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
That should NEVER EVER HAPPEN EVER, NO, I mean that it should NEVER EVER HAPPEN, EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A couple that submits under the authority of a minister is an enemy of their own house and their own authority and the two are one, their minister is not the third party.

I wouldn't recommend that a couple should EVER seek council of a preacher JUST BECAUSE they think the preacher has some sort of magical guidance that maybe he even says that you two shouldn't be married.

If you have to take a class of a preacher to get married, I would look at you in a very peculiar way.

Just don't.
This is preposterous. What is wrong with discussing the serious ramifications of holy matrimony before performing a marriage ceremony? Most all houses of worship do this and there is nothing unusual about it. What is unusual is that the couple finds it to be troublesome. If they find this to be too much trouble, they probably are not ready for the challenges of marriage.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
control, simply a means of control and at a later date instill guilt & shame
How can you possibly make such a ridiculous judgement of someone you know NOTHING about? Your comment is incredibly presumptuous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity