Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 05:27 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,965,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
Easter is never mentioned in the Scriptures. It is simply a time of celebration of Jesus' resurrection.
Or, rather, Easter is the non-biblical ' Resurrection of Spring ' .
Easter is Not Jesus' resurrection day because just as a wedding anniversary does Not always come on a Sunday, the anniversary of God resurrecting Jesus does Not always fall on a Sunday.
Besides Jesus gave only one way to remember him as found at Luke 22:19 by the annual passing of the bread and wine.
That event took place right before his death. No mention of keeping a resurrection day because it is faithful Jesus' ransom price paid for us that is so important - Matthew 20:28.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
I am baffle at how people don't understand that Easter replace the name Passover after Constantine came into power in the Roman Empire. Easter derived from the word Estrogen and was actually a pagan festival that worship a fertility god. That's where the eggs came from. I am so grateful Christ being our Passover and Lamb of God. So saddened that the holy day or holiday has been reduced down to eggs, chocolate, and a bunny. I see no reference to Easter in the New Testament, but I do see references to the Passover.
No reference to Easter because Easter is the ' Resurrection of Spring ' celebration.
Pagan Constantine helped fuse non-biblical with biblical, but that does Not make the non-biblical Easter as Scripture.

In Scripture, Jesus wanted his death to be remembered - Luke 22:19.
Remembered by the annual passing of the bread and wine.
Thus, for Christians then Jesus replaced the Jewish Passover with a remembrance of his day of death.
Faithful Jesus' death paid the ransom price to free us from sin and death - Matthew 20:28
The anniversary day of Jesus' death ( Jewish lunar month of Nisan the 14th day ) often corresponds with Passover.
So, as an anniversary does Not always fall on a Friday, the anniversary of Jesus' death can Not always come on a Friday.
That means then the anniversary date when God resurrected Jesus can Not always come on a Sunday.
So, it seems to me we want to also remember the words found at 1st Corinthians 10:20-21.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:36 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,044,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
No reference to Easter because Easter is the ' Resurrection of Spring ' celebration.
Pagan Constantine helped fuse non-biblical with biblical, but that does Not make the non-biblical Easter as Scripture.

In Scripture, Jesus wanted his death to be remembered - Luke 22:19.
Remembered by the annual passing of the bread and wine.
Thus, for Christians then Jesus replaced the Jewish Passover with a remembrance of his day of death.
Faithful Jesus' death paid the ransom price to free us from sin and death - Matthew 20:28
The anniversary day of Jesus' death ( Jewish lunar month of Nisan the 14th day ) often corresponds with Passover.
So, as an anniversary does Not always fall on a Friday, the anniversary of Jesus' death can Not always come on a Friday.
That means then the anniversary date when God resurrected Jesus can Not always come on a Sunday.
So, it seems to me we want to also remember the words found at 1st Corinthians 10:20-21.

Normally, I agree with all of your posts, but I have to disagree with part of this one. Jesus DID NOT replace the Jewish Passover, He FULFILLED it, He IS the Passover lamb, and the "last supper" was a Passover Seder and the cup He picked up was the FOURTH CUP, the one that only the Messiah or Elijah can drink, thus plainly declaring Himself the Messiah.

And what WE are to do with that, is allow the works of the Holy Ghost to have preeminence in our lives, as He leads us to become a LIVING SACRIFICE just as He was. Which He will do, if we come out of Egypt, lay down our lives for Him, and allow reaping where we have not sown, just as He did.

And we remember Him by eating of the bread/Word in the light/wine of the candlestick; this is true communion, ie. communing with Him in Spirit/wine and in Truth/Word. That means you do everything as unto Him, although few want to hear it, INCLUDING walking in the feasts WITH the light/understanding of the Spirit. And we do this in the same hope that they had/have; that the Messiah of Israel will come through OUR DOOR and consume our WINE. Peace

Old 04-16-2017, 07:42 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Normally, I agree with all of your posts, but I have to disagree with part of this one. Jesus DID NOT replace the Jewish Passover, He FULFILLED it, He IS the Passover lamb, and the "last supper" was a Passover Seder and the cup He picked up was the FOURTH CUP, the one that only the Messiah or Elijah can drink, thus plainly declaring Himself the Messiah.
And so AS representative "Elijah" He passed that cup around to those who were NOT so qualified?

Old 04-16-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
And what WE are to do with that, is allow the works of the Holy Ghost to have preeminence in our lives, as He leads us to become a LIVING SACRIFICE just as He was. Which He will do, if we come out of Egypt, lay down our lives for Him, and allow reaping where we have not sown, just as He did.
And we remember Him by eating of the bread/Word in the light/wine of the candlestick; this is true communion, ie. communing with Him in Spirit/wine and in Truth/Word. That means you do everything as unto Him, although few want to hear it, INCLUDING walking in the feasts WITH the light/understanding of the Spirit. And we do this in the same hope that they had/have; that the Messiah of Israel will come through OUR DOOR and consume our WINE. Peace
Interesting that you say Jesus fulfilled the Passover.
I'll add Messiah of a 'spiritual Israel ' to come......
- 1st Peter 2:5,9; Galatians 4:26

To me there is a difference between Holy Ghost and God's holy spirit.- Psalms 104:30
By using the word ghost it can come across more like a holy spook.
Noah Webster replaced ghost with spirit because God's spirit is Not an apparition as a ghost would be.
Webster felt that when words are understood different from when first introduced in the original language then the words ( or word ) does Not present the Word of God. For example: God's spirit is neuter gender at Numbers 11:17,25 as the word 'it'. Just as we in English might refer to a car or a ship as a ' she ' but 'it' still remains a neuter ' it'.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:57 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
In the beginning..Is now, and ever shall be.

Jewish faith practices it's customs of rituals.
Christians practice it's customs of rituals.
It is in these beginnings...

I struggle with praising in Christian faith a God who encourages the killing of his child..To serve a purpose. Not to mention having jesus's mom have to endure seeing her childs brutal death...What kind of omnipotent entity can be so merciless.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I struggle with praising in Christian faith a God who encourages the killing of his child..To serve a purpose. Not to mention having jesus's mom have to endure seeing her childs brutal death...What kind of omnipotent entity can be so merciless.
God did Not kill his Son according to Acts 3:15
Those un-faithful Jews failed to bring Jesus to justice thus sharing in community blood-guilt - Deuteronomy 21:1-9
Jesus' mom endured what those un-faithful men did to her Son.
Jesus willingly came to Earth to be a ransom sacrifice for us - Matthew 20:28
Sinner Adam un-balanced the scales of justice for us. Sinless Jesus re-balanced the scales of justice for us.

It was Satan and Adam who introduced enemy death into the human family.
If we could stop sinning we would Not die. Since we can't stop sinning we die.
We can't resurrect oneself or another, so we need someone who can resurrect us.
Because Jesus died a faithful-to-God death, then God resurrected ( Not killed ) his Son - Acts 2:32.
Thus, Jesus was given the power of the resurrection for us - Revelation 1:18.
Jesus will undo enemy death for us - 1st Corinthians 15:26; Isaiah 25:8.

Adam was un-faithful under least. Jesus was faithful under much.
Satan challenges all of us. Touch our ' flesh ' (loose physical health) and we would Not serve God - Job 2:4-5
Both Job and Jesus, under adverse conditions, proved Satan a liar and so can we.
Adam did Not uphold God as his Sovereign. Both Job and Jesus respected God's Sovereignty.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:21 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
I am baffle at how people don't understand that Easter replace the name Passover after Constantine came into power in the Roman Empire. Easter derived from the word Estrogen and was actually a pagan festival that worship a fertility god. That's where the eggs came from. I am so grateful Christ being our Passover and Lamb of God. So saddened that the holy day or holiday has been reduced down to eggs, chocolate, and a bunny. I see no reference to Easter in the New Testament, but I do see references to the Passover.
"Easter" did not derive from "estrogen". It derived from Eoster, a pagan goddess of the dawn and of fertility or spring renewal.
http://www.allaboutjesuschrist.org/t...easter-faq.htm

However, Easter did not always symbolize Christ's resurrection from the dead and the meaning of Easter was quite different than what Christians celebrate today. The feast day of Easter was originally a pagan celebration of renewal and rebirth. Celebrated in the early spring, it honored the pagan Saxon goddess Eastre. When the early missionaries converted the Saxons to Christianity, the holiday, since it fell around the same time as the traditional memorial of Christ's resurrection from the dead, was merged with the pagan celebration, and became know as Easter. The meaning of Easter was also changed to reflect its new Christian orientation.

Apart from pagan influences, Constantine felt that the marking of Jesus' death and resurrection should not occur on the same day as Passover, but should have its own day, independent of any other religion's holiday.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-16-2017 at 08:51 PM..

Old 04-16-2017, 08:58 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
Quote:
Uh, because Passover is a separate holiday celebrated all over the world by Jews, who are not Christians, which predates Christianity by thousands of years, and Easter is a Christian holiday that has nothing to do with Judaism.

I really, really don't understand the point of these threads.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:07 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Uh, because Passover is a separate holiday celebrated all over the world by Jews, who are not Christians, which predates Christianity by thousands of years, and Easter is a Christian holiday that has nothing to do with Judaism.

I really, really don't understand the point of these threads.
Thank goodness someone said what i was going to.

Thats like asking why Christmas and Hanukkah arent the same....

FTR: Passover is more than just lambs blood. Thats the christian version, of course they neglect to leave out the rest of the story!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity