Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 02:14 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
I see a lot in it, you've just got to dig deeper. The first clue to what is going on is the threshing floor and winnowing barley. Barley is a first fruits, a type of overcomer, a kind of person who is willing to go through the removal of the chaff, the circumcision of the heart. The threshing floor was the threshing floor of David where he built an altar and did sacrifice, a low set rock type of foundation stone, a type of Christ, set outside the city so that the wind could blow away the chaff. He was taken outside the city to be crucified.

The instructions she got were identical to a priest who is getting ready to serve, and change his garments. A person fasting is told to wash their face and anoint it with oil. The fact she obeyed and chose an old man, meant that all respect of persons (choosing what she couldn't see as opposed to what she could, exactly the opposite of Eve) had been overcome and she was obedient to the Spirit and not the lusting of the flesh for money/mammon/self gain or the lust of the flesh for youthful vigor of a mate.

There's a lot more to be gleaned if you look up the Hebrew word meanings, too. Peace
So what about the part to wait until after he got done drinking? Is there symbolism there as well?

Maybe if she had did all of this and went to him in the middle of the day, I could see your point. How about how Boaz told her to leave?

Ruth 3:14 - So she lay at his feet until morning and rose before one could recognize another; and he said, "Let it not be known that the woman came to the threshing floor.

He told her to leave while it was dark and tell no one about it. Why go thru all of that - if this was proper thing to do?

I can go for symbolism where it's warranted - but not at the cost of reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 05:57 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,724,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
[/color]

Quote:
He told her to leave while it was dark and tell no one about it. Why go thru all of that - if this was proper thing to do?
what do you demand your wife do to prove she loves you ? I am sure there is plenty. as does God command we do things like almost kill their child as a sacrifice or any other sort of Object lesson ... how can we count the ways he asks us to step out in faith knowing that he is our protection and our truth.
it is so hard to do .. and so easy to pretend that our God never would or has ever asked or demand we or anyone believe him enough to jump out of the plane and believe he is our parachute in any or all situations in this life . I'm guessing you haven't actually met him have you dear ? just don't have a real marriage with him either right? because he will asks as much as any spouse will ask for you to prove you love them. that is the kind of relationship he has to have with us in order for us to trust him for and through what is coming into this world. in order to build into us what it takes to trust him for our lives or not, but still knowing he will ressurrect us on his day .

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 04-21-2017 at 06:05 PM..

Old 04-23-2017, 08:30 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
You are missing the paradox and the subversive story of the lineage of David and ultimately, Jesus.

Go back to the Sodom and Gomorrah story. Lost in all the dancing and shrieking about gay rape is THE ACTUAL REASON for the telling of the story, which is that the Moabites and Ammonites are descended from inbred bastards--the sons of Lot and his daughters.

But Ruth is a Moabite, and a matriarch of the royal line. Imagine that. As Jesus tends to demonstrate, the rules of human society are not always the rules of God.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:21 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,060,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
Context.
hahaha, true,
content without context is a pretext to a textproof.
Thats the typical atheist approach to the bible.

Find a parable, pose it as a real story then prove it impossible.
And they even notice the lie slipping through their mind.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:11 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,724,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
hahaha, true,
content without context is a pretext to a textproof.
Thats the typical atheist approach to the bible.

Find a parable, pose it as a real story then prove it impossible.
And they even notice the lie slipping through their mind.
it is not a parable !
the only lies around here are the lies are in the mind of men of no belief and no faith !
Not God and not the book!
lies are what sin hides behind.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:24 PM

4,765 posts, read 1,993,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
To me, this is the story of a smart aggressive young woman who seduces a rich man by getting into his bed at night. That's it. Period. You see these kind of women all the time.

Is that the only lesson of the story? How a poor woman can seduce a rich man? What am I missing here? I've read the story many times. Why is it in the Bible? What does it have to do with religion?
You need a better Bible or some serious lessons to help your reading comprehension.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
He was her kinsman redeemer, a type of Christ. She was a type of our soul, and laid at his feet in humility and submission, not to seduce. He had a choice of redeeming her or not, just as Christ had.

EVERYTHING in there is about the reuniting of soul and Spirit, ie. undoing what A and E did in the garden. The sooner you look for the types of this, the quicker you see the big picture. Peace
Good summary. Top bad it will fall on ignorant ears.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I taught this in adult Sunday School a couple of months ago and suggested kinda the same thing. However - to your point above, it was Ruth's mother-in-law, Naomi, who set up the plan for Ruth to seduce Boaz after he had drunk some wine.

Naomi is usually lifted up as some sort of heroine... I said she sent Ruth into a tempting situation. However, the hand of the Lord and the character of Boaz prevented a tempting situation from turning into sinful mess.

One lady in the class thought I was taking a dark view of the situation. I told her I was being real. Naomi was trying to use sex to get Boaz to marry Ruth, and get her basic needs taken care of. I don't think Naomi was inherently evil, but she attempted to use a worldly method to solve a problem.

The thing about it was that Boaz was already interested in Ruth to begin with. All of Naomi's scheming was unnecessary.

At the end of the day - this is part of the lineage of Jesus Christ (read into the background of the families), which is probably why the account is included.
If you think the book of Ruth is about sex, you have missed the whole point of the book.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
So what about the part to wait until after he got done drinking? Is there symbolism there as well?

Maybe if she had did all of this and went to him in the middle of the day, I could see your point. How about how Boaz told her to leave?

Ruth 3:14 - So she lay at his feet until morning and rose before one could recognize another; and he said, "Let it not be known that the woman came to the threshing floor.

If there was something immoral about their conduct, they would have gone into the barn and had sex. Boaz told he if he could redeem her he would.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You are missing the paradox and the subversive story of the lineage of David and ultimately, Jesus.
The story is neither a paradox nor subversive. It is an allegory. For those who don't know, allegories are always based on a literal event.

Quote:
Go back to the Sodom and Gomorrah story. Lost in all the dancing and shrieking about gay rape is THE ACTUAL REASON for the telling of the story, which is that the Moabites and Ammonites are descended from inbred bastards--the sons of Lot and his daughters.
The story of Sodom and Gomorrah was about an attempted homosexual rape and it is ridiculous to say that is the ACTUAL REASON for telling the story. You need to do some research on the "kinsman redeemer."

Quote:
But Ruth is a Moabite, and a matriarch of the royal line. Imagine that. As Jesus tends to demonstrate, the rules of human society are not always the rules of God.
If God's rules were the rules of human society, human society would be much better than it is today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity