Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 05:45 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,709,508 times

Advertisements

I know there are those here who believe in demons, do any of you believe in ghosts?

The reason I ask this is because I kind of like the idea of houses being haunted and people being able to see ghosts, (but I don't want nothing to do with any demons). It seems feasible to me that after passing on that some people might be trapped in a certain realm just beyond the veil because of fear - perhaps they are afraid of going to the light. Now I could never say with certainty that I believe in ghosts, but I can say with certainty that I LIKE trying to believe in them and I love ghost stories and shows about ghosts.

I suppose since this is the Christian forum you may also feel free to tell me why this is forbidden by God and dangerous, etc... Hey, it's like Halloween in April!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 07:26 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
I know there are those here who believe in demons, do any of you believe in ghosts?

The reason I ask this is because I kind of like the idea of houses being haunted and people being able to see ghosts, (but I don't want nothing to do with any demons). It seems feasible to me that after passing on that some people might be trapped in a certain realm just beyond the veil because of fear - perhaps they are afraid of going to the light. Now I could never say with certainty that I believe in ghosts, but I can say with certainty that I LIKE trying to believe in them and I love ghost stories and shows about ghosts.

I suppose since this is the Christian forum you may also feel free to tell me why this is forbidden by God and dangerous, etc... Hey, it's like Halloween in April!
Ghosts are supposed to be the spirits of people who have died but are unable to move on from this plane of existence for one reason or other. On the other hand, according to the book of 1 Enoch, demons are the spirits of the dead Nephilim who are the half human / half angelic offspring who were born to human females who mated with angels. I Enoch expands on the Genesis 6:4 affair in which the Nephilim were on the earth in the days when the sons of God (angels) came in to the daughters of men who bore children to them. Both Peter and Jude, writing under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit also state that it was disobedient angels who were responsible for the Genesis 6:4 incident (2 Peter 2:4-5; Jude 1:6). That then was the origin of the demons.
1 Enoch 15:8 And now, the giants, who are produced from the spirits and flesh, shall be called evil spirits upon 9 the earth, and on the earth shall be their dwelling. Evil spirits have proceeded from their bodies; because they are born from men and from the holy Watchers is their beginning and primal origin; 10 they shall be evil spirits on earth, and evil spirits shall they be called. [As for the spirits of heaven, in heaven shall be their dwelling, but as for the spirits of the earth which were born upon the earth, on the earth shall be their dwelling.] And the spirits of the giants afflict, oppress, destroy, attack, do battle, and work destruction on the earth, and cause trouble: they take no food, but nevertheless 12 hunger and thirst, and cause offences. And these spirits shall rise up against the children of men and against the women, because they have proceeded from them.

The Wesley Center Online: Book Of Enoch
In my opinion then, demons are responsible for much of the occult activity, including ghosts, that occurs. It can be tempting to delve into the occult, but really it is not a good idea, and God did issue commands to not get involved with the occult as for example in Deuteronomy 18:10-11. Now you might say, yes, but that was under the Mosaic Law, and we are not under the Mosaic law. But nevertheless, when you get involved in occultic activity you invite and make yourself vulnerable to influence from supernatural entities who are not nice guys.

You're not going to get Casper the friendly ghost.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:52 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
There has never been, any human-angelic or animal hybrids.
Nothing stimulates the imagination more than poetry and fables

Old 04-23-2017, 07:52 PM

Hmmm... the book of Enoch is a real trip, as are a lot of the Old Testament books in the accepted Canon of scripture.

Apparently I lean toward a fear of dabbling in the occult because of the reasons you mentioned. I mean, I probably would not turn down a haunted tour of Alcatraz when I visit my daughter living in California, but I would never try to summon a ghost myself. I do indulge in documentaries about psychics who help to find missing people - but I've never felt any assurance that there is anything to it.

Speaking of "speaking to the dead", I know a lot of people who regularly talk to their departed loved ones, some only when they visit the grave, and others more regularly. They don't seem to be trying to summon ghosts, but believe that their loved ones are still with them in spirit. I've never been one to talk to the departed, not because I have anything against it, but probably more that it was never part of my cultural upbringing.

When I was a little girl, I just loved Casper the Friendly Ghost.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:56 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
They prefer Spirit not ghost.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I agree that it would be impossible for a human to have offspring with a ghost/spirit/angel/demon. The idea certainly stretches my imagination farther than I am willing to go.

But I do make one exception, that being God bringing a son into Mary's womb. I do believe God did that, but it had nothing to do with human sexuality.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:46 PM

You don't have to be a biological father to love, or to be one in Spirit.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:27 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
I agree that it would be impossible for a human to have offspring with a ghost/spirit/angel/demon. The idea certainly stretches my imagination farther than I am willing to go.

But I do make one exception, that being God bringing a son into Mary's womb. I do believe God did that, but it had nothing to do with human sexuality.
Since angels are able to assume human form and function, including eating as is shown in Genesis 18, there is no reason to assume that angels are incapable of mating with a human female and producing offspring. One shouldn't be so quick to dismiss as impossible things that one doesn't understand. The New Testament writers believed it, as did the Jews of that time. I believe it as well. And demons do exist which means that they had to have had an origin. I don't expect that to change your opinion however.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Since angels are able to assume human form and function, including eating as is shown in Genesis 18, there is no reason to assume that angels are incapable of mating with a human female and producing offspring. One shouldn't be so quick to dismiss as impossible things that one doesn't understand. The New Testament writers believed it, as did the Jews of that time. I believe it as well. And demons do exist which means that they had to have had an origin. I don't expect that to change your opinion however.
Those were the mighty men of old, the renowned who were lured away by the riches; and beauty of world.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The writers of the Old Testament wrote down many things I do not believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity