Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 01:31 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,773,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Indeed, there ARE rational explanations of the "Atonement," but you stick to the irrational because it's what you have been taught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 02:17 PM

45,541 posts, read 27,146,343 times
Quote:
Indeed, there ARE rational explanations of the "Atonement," but you stick to the irrational because it's what you have been taught.
It's not a matter of rationality. It's a matter or whether or not it's true.

From a human perspective much of it won't make sense.

However, there are witnesses that claim Jesus physically rose from the dead, and that His death paid of our sins. I believe the witnesses. You don't.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:39 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,914,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I have asked this question at a couple of websites and never gotten a good answer. I might as well go for it here. It isn't actually a Bible passage, per se, but I have often heard the term "Jesus died for your sins". For years this proclamation has perplexed me. How did Jesus's death have any effect on my sins? If Jesus had lived to a ripe old age and died of a heart attack, how would my sins be any different today in any real, discernable way?

Jesus died for those who have repented of sin( stopped doing the sin)-- the door is open to all--Few find the entrance Jesus taught. Why? Because he as well taught--satan is the ruler of this world( system of things)-- There exist( symbolic) a table of God and a table of demons( 1Cor 10:21)-- Many thinking they are serving God are partaking off the table of demons, It has been satans #1 tool--from generation to generation, from parent to child--false god worship and things off the table of demons handed down. Transforming into an angel of light( 2Cor 11:12-15)--( as some teachers as well)--But God says one cannot partake of his table if they partake off the table of demons--the broad and spacious path means--his( satan) hands are in many things on this earth. Making them look good to the mortal heart.
Jesus taught the path--- bottom line of it all = Matt 7:21--those living now to do his Fathers will, get to enter his kingdom.
Learn and apply -ALL - that Jesus taught--it begins here--Matthew 6:33--Therefore, keep on seeking-FIRST- the kingdom and his( YHWH(Jehovah) righteousness and all these other things will be added to you( sustenance, covering, spirituality)--then one can accomplish this= John 4:22-24

Old 04-27-2017, 08:16 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,382,802 times
Quote:
Well, I had an analogy of stealing a candy bar from a 7-11 and being condemned for a week at Disneyworld. If you want to actually get to the specifics and forgo the analogy, then I'll tell you what you can do: you can nail me to a cross and let me hang there until I die if forever after I can have heaven, which, by the way, would include great pizzas, endless beer, orgasmic episodes without any time needed to recharge, and the Cleveland Browns winning the Super Bowl. Heaven is worth a few days of pain.
OK, run through Mecca saying Allah is a fraud. You will get what you ask for, quickly too.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:12 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,910,926 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It's not a matter of rationality. It's a matter or whether or not it's true.

From a human perspective much of it won't make sense.

However, there are witnesses that claim Jesus physically rose from the dead, and that His death paid of our sins. I believe the witnesses. You don't.
Where you make your mistake is that you believe that your explanation of HOW "atonement" works has to be true, but it doesn't. What MATTERS is that "Atonement" is true. Whether ANY of the "explanations" of HOW it works is true or not does NOT matter.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:40 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
My guess to why God just doesn't "decree" reconciliation is because He doesn't work that way. And being who He is - He understands what is needed to be reconciled back to Him.

God's Son made the decree in person 2,000+ years ago. Many still chose not to believe Him. What makes you think everyone would believe Him today?
When I say that God should make his decree about reconciliation, I am talking about a great pronouncement that is very clear and comes from all places: TV, radio, thunder that is heard as language and speaks of this decree. God probably has an imagination. He can take it from there. If those things do not work, he can perform a miracle where everyone comes with the aforementioned knowledge already in his head, like I have innate knowledge that I should not poke myself in the eye with a sharp stick.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Jesus died for those who have repented of sin( stopped doing the sin)-- the door is open to all--Few find the entrance Jesus taught. Why? Because he as well taught--satan is the ruler of this world( system of things)-- There exist( symbolic) a table of God and a table of demons( 1Cor 10:21)-- Many thinking they are serving God are partaking off the table of demons, It has been satans #1 tool--from generation to generation, from parent to child--false god worship and things off the table of demons handed down. Transforming into an angel of light( 2Cor 11:12-15)--( as some teachers as well)--But God says one cannot partake of his table if they partake off the table of demons--the broad and spacious path means--his( satan) hands are in many things on this earth. Making them look good to the mortal heart.
Jesus taught the path--- bottom line of it all = Matt 7:21--those living now to do his Fathers will, get to enter his kingdom.
Learn and apply -ALL - that Jesus taught--it begins here--Matthew 6:33--Therefore, keep on seeking-FIRST- the kingdom and his( YHWH(Jehovah) righteousness and all these other things will be added to you( sustenance, covering, spirituality)--then one can accomplish this= John 4:22-24
You will have to give me evidence of any of that. Not proof, just good evidence.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Agan, you totally dismiss that Jesus left heaven and bore the sins of every person.
Yeah, and as I said in my OP, the logic of that whole concept baffles me.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Where you make your mistake is that you believe that your explanation of HOW "atonement" works has to be true, but it doesn't. What MATTERS is that "Atonement" is true. Whether ANY of the "explanations" of HOW it works is true or not does NOT matter.
The "HOW" is important.

I guess you believe you can just make up anything and call it atonement. God doesn't work that way.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
When I say that God should make his decree about reconciliation, I am talking about a great pronouncement that is very clear and comes from all places: TV, radio, thunder that is heard as language and speaks of this decree. God probably has an imagination. He can take it from there. If those things do not work, he can perform a miracle where everyone comes with the aforementioned knowledge already in his head, like I have innate knowledge that I should not poke myself in the eye with a sharp stick.
He has the #1 book in the history of man written by people who knew Him. Not sure what else you want God to do there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity