Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2017, 12:30 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,039,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Like it is idiotic to claim only a few are saved and the many are on the broad way of destruction ?. So much for the numbers game Namaste

Which, of course, you know I HAVEN'T claimed any such thing, but that doesn't stop you from distorting the truth, does it? Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyawehNyoh View Post
-
If Acts 2:1-12 is the model; then it seems to me that a genuine Spirit-gifted tonguer should be able to communicate with an honest to gosh real-life language instead of spewing unintelligible blabber.

"Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard them speaking in his own language.

. . . Utterly amazed, they asked: "Are not all these men who are speaking Galileans? Then how is it that each of us hears them in his own native language? Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs-- we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!"

Mozart composed some amazing music; but had he not arranged it properly, it would likely grate on people's nerves instead of entertaining them; sort of like when an orchestra verifies the pitch of its instruments just prior to a performance. The discordant din that the orchestra makes like that is a cacophony instead of a melody.

"Even in the case of lifeless things that make sounds, such as the flute or harp, how will anyone know what tune is being played unless there is a distinction in the notes?"

Modern tonguers typically don't compose anything pleasant to the ear. The words and grammar and syllables coming out of their mouths are a discordant cacophony that only serve to reinforce the outside world's opinion that Christians are just another sect of kooks and fanatical whack jobs.

/

But here is the root problem, it seems TO YOU.....but YOU are not the giver of the gifts, and YOU don't get to determine how they are used.

Again, as was prescribed, they heard them all in their own languages, not because the disciples were speaking 18 languages all at once (scholars estimate there were at least 18 language speakers present for the feast from all over) which would be the definition of confusion, but because the INTERPRETER, who IS the HOLY GHOST saw fit to fall on them so they could HEAR with spiritual ears the interpretation of the tongues being spoken. Like all people who are ignorant of the way the gifts operate, you want to take what appeals to you of the "rules" when it appeals to you do so, but without consistency across the board. Meaning since there were MANY present, the GIFT OF INTERPRETATION also had to be present.

It's not supposed to be pleasant to your ear, who ever said it was? What a weak argument, that is, lol. Well, 1 in 4 Christians are, so I guess you'll just have to live with it. Peace

Old 05-23-2017, 04:33 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
That's nonsense Richard and you have NO WAY of knowing that to be true. It is a spiritual experience. Peace
Oh, you have no idea where I've been or what I have been through...IOW, my experiences...

Old 05-23-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
That's the truth in any language.

You know what I mean...

Old 05-23-2017, 06:02 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Which, of course, you know I HAVEN'T claimed any such thing, but that doesn't stop you from distorting the truth, does it? Peace
Well your bible says it is so, if read through the eyes of a bible fundamentalist ? No ?. So why is idiotic to claim the many can be wrong ?.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Well your bible says it is so, if read through the eyes of a bible fundamentalist ? No ?. So why is idiotic to claim the many can be wrong ?.

Maybe because it's wrong to tag me with a label, just because? Instead of reading what I actually said and responding to it ONLY, instead of constantly lumping me with people whose views do not necessarily coincide with mine. If you want to bash people who believe that, then go bash them, quit putting me into a topic category I don't fall under. Peace

Old 05-24-2017, 12:46 AM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times
What do you think of this, Rbbi1?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tp4ENcSvFc

Or, how about this from the young girl who, the fawning adults believe anyway, has the interpretation of tongues?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieFUcaXW5LE&t=207s

So, we're supposed to believe that the Holy Spirit gives some insignificant message in supposed 'angel language' and then the 'interpreter' translates that trivial message into English, is that the way it works?

Now, using my God-given brain, my logical question to this 'Holy Spirit' would HAVE to be ..."Why play the silly games, HS, why not give this rather 'zero' message in English to begin with ...?"

My next question would be, "How come God created so many stupid people?"

Old 05-24-2017, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post

Or, how about this from the young girl who, the fawning adults believe anyway, has the interpretation of tongues?:

So, we're supposed to believe that the Holy Spirit gives some insignificant message in supposed 'angel language' and then the 'interpreter' translates that trivial message into English, is that the way it works?

Now, using my God-given brain, my logical question to this 'Holy Spirit' would HAVE to be ..."Why play the silly games, HS, why not give this rather 'zero' message in English to begin with ...?"

The first little girl is praying in tongues, but that's not the gift of interpretation of tongues, it's word of knowledge. And while these messages may look trivial, the gifts have the ability to transform lives overnight, depending on the messages, obviously.

The second little girl asked for a spiritual gift, and she got it, and it was interpretation of tongues, as she said. She said she heard in English what the Spirit was saying through another girl who was praying in tongues. Perfectly scriptural; that's how it works, and that's how it worked on the day of Pentecost in Acts 2.

He meets us where we're at in our faith and maturity, both natural and spiritual, and these children as young as they are, likely would not be given any major detailed earth shattering messages.

This is the way He structured His speaking gifts, you'll have to ask Him why. My guess is because it's for BODY ministry. Peace

Old 05-24-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post

Those were not languages...Just a lot of babbling...

Old 05-24-2017, 08:55 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Rules? I just speak in tongues or pray in tongues, whatever it is called, period...with
amazing results...just amazing to me. No one has to believe me... Don't care.
Maybe some babble... don't care about them, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity