Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2017, 12:35 PM

23,141 posts, read 10,441,143 times

Advertisements

Jesus Reinstates Peter
14This was now the third time Jesus appeared to the disciples after He was raised from the dead. 15When they had finished eating, Jesus asked Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love Me more than these?” “Yes, Lord, He answered, “You know I love You.” Jesus replied, “Feed My lambs.”

Invitation to the Needy
"Ho! Every one who thirsts, come to the waters; And you who have no money come, buy and eat. Come, buy wine and milk Without money and without cost. 2"Why do you spend money for what is not bread, And your wages for what does not satisfy? Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good, And delight yourself in abundance.…

Helping the Needy, clothing the naked, feeding the poor with food and drink for free, Let he who has no money come and eat to his fill, and drink to his desire.

Let all the widows come, and bring the lame, the deaf and the blind, see, they need no money and he who has charity will see to the needs of many as a great tree of Sukkot where all the creatures come up under his branches and are sustained by his fruit. All those who have no homes come and build their nests in his arms, and he is a shelter against the storm and he is sheltered from those who seek him as prey.

One who sows the barley will seed many fields but he will leave half of his field for the poor who come to glean, he who is sifted and refined in the wheat will have words that are as gold, and where there is barley from horizon to horizon, the wheat is so much more precious, but he who harvests the fruit bringing oil and wine in the last harvest has walked through the Barley, been separated in the wheat and has now become a tree of the feast of Tabernacles where all the creatures find shelter under his shade, as a comfort from the heat, and he who is found under his Sukkah has a shelter from the fire to come.

To sell all you own to give to the poor is to sell yourself into slavery for the needs of others. That you may give up your own ambitions, your own life to the study of the word of God that you would become a great tree of the feast of booths that you are able to be charitable.

Come and buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 12:50 PM

23,141 posts, read 10,441,143 times
Default Learning The Language of God As You Move From The South To The East, To the North, to the West

This is what happens to you in a progressive walk with God where if you progress, your end is Benjamin.

Jacob Blesses his Sons

1And Jacob called unto his sons, and said, Gather yourselves together, that I may tell you that which shall befall you in the last days.{YOU PERSONALLY}
2Gather yourselves together, and hear, ye sons of Jacob; and hearken unto Israel your father.

South
3Reuben, thou art my firstborn, my might, and the beginning of my strength, the excellency of dignity, and the excellency of power:
4Unstable as water, thou shalt not excel; because thou wentest up to thy father's bed; then defiledst thou it: he went up to my couch.
5Simeon and Levi are brethren; instruments of cruelty are in their habitations.
6O my soul, come not thou into their secret; unto their assembly, mine honour, be not thou united: for in their anger they slew a man, and in their selfwill they digged down a wall.
7Cursed be their anger, for it was fierce; and their wrath, for it was cruel: I will divide them in Jacob, and scatter them in Israel.

East
8Judah, thou art he whom thy brethren shall praise: thy hand shall be in the neck of thine enemies; thy father's children shall bow down before thee.
9Judah is a lion's whelp: from the prey, my son, thou art gone up: he stooped down, he couched as a lion, and as an old lion; who shall rouse him up?
10The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and unto him shall the gathering of the people be.
11Binding his foal unto the vine, and his ass's colt unto the choice vine; he washed his garments in wine, and his clothes in the blood of grapes:
12His eyes shall be red with wine, and his teeth white with milk
13Zebulun shall dwell at the haven of the sea; and he shall be for an haven of ships; and his border shall be unto Zidon.
14Issachar is a strong ass couching down between two burdens:
15And he saw that rest was good, and the land that it was pleasant; and bowed his shoulder to bear, and became a servant unto tribute.

North
16Dan shall judge his people, as one of the tribes of Israel.
17Dan shall be a serpent by the way, an adder in the path, that biteth the horse heels, so that his rider shall fall backward.
18I have waited for thy salvation, O LORD.
19Gad, a troop shall overcome him: but he shall overcome at the last.
20Out of Asher his bread shall be fat, and he shall yield royal dainties.

West
21Naphtali is a hind let loose: he giveth goodly words.
22Joseph is a fruitful bough, even a fruitful bough by a well; whose branches run over the wall:
23The archers have sorely grieved him, and shot at him, and hated him:
24But his bow abode in strength, and the arms of his hands were made strong by the hands of the mighty God of Jacob; (from thence is the shepherd, the stone of Israel
25Even by the God of thy father, who shall help thee; and by the Almighty, who shall bless thee with blessings of heaven above, blessings of the deep that lieth under, blessings of the breasts, and of the womb:
26The blessings of thy father have prevailed above the blessings of my progenitors unto the utmost bound of the everlasting hills: they shall be on the head of Joseph, and on the crown of the head of him that was separate from his brethren.

27Benjamin shall ravin as a wolf: in the morning he shall devour the prey, and at night he shall divide the spoil.

28All these are the twelve tribes of Israel: and this is it that their father spake unto them, and blessed them; every one according to his blessing he blessed them.

The goal is always Benjamin, but he who is in Naphtali gives goodly words. This chapter is a progressive step ladder in walking with God through each of the tribes.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:16 AM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
This is what happens to you in a progressive walk with God where if you progress, your end is Benjamin.
Jacob Blesses his Sons
1And Jacob called unto his sons, and said, Gather yourselves together, that I may tell you that which shall befall you in the last days.{YOU PERSONALLY}
2Gather yourselves together, and hear, ye sons of Jacob; and hearken unto Israel your father.
South
3Reuben, thou art my firstborn, my might, and the beginning of my strength, the excellency of dignity, and the excellency of power:
4Unstable as water, thou shalt not excel; because thou wentest up to thy father's bed; then defiledst thou it: he went up to my couch.
6O my soul, come not thou into their secret; unto their assembly, mine honour, be not thou united: for in their anger they slew a man, and in their selfwill they digged down a wall.
7Cursed be their anger, for it was fierce; and their wrath, for it was cruel: I will divide them in Jacob, and scatter them in Israel.
East
8Judah, thou art he whom thy brethren shall praise: thy hand shall be in the neck of thine enemies; thy father's children shall bow down before thee.
9Judah is a lion's whelp: from the prey, my son, thou art gone up: he stooped down, he couched as a lion, and as an old lion; who shall rouse him up?
10The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and unto him shall the gathering of the people be.
11Binding his foal unto the vine, and his ass's colt unto the choice vine; he washed his garments in wine, and his clothes in the blood of grapes:
13Zebulun shall dwell at the haven of the sea; and he shall be for an haven of ships; and his border shall be unto Zidon.
15And he saw that rest was good, and the land that it was pleasant; and bowed his shoulder to bear, and became a servant unto tribute.
North
17Dan shall be a serpent by the way, an adder in the path, that biteth the horse heels, so that his rider shall fall backward.
West
22Joseph is a fruitful bough, even a fruitful bough by a well; whose branches run over the wall:
24But his bow abode in strength, and the arms of his hands were made strong by the hands of the mighty God of Jacob; (from thence is the shepherd, the stone of Israel
25Even by the God of thy father, who shall help thee; and by the Almighty, who shall bless thee with blessings of heaven above, blessings of the deep that lieth under, blessings of the breasts, and of the womb:
26The blessings of thy father have prevailed above the blessings of my progenitors unto the utmost bound of the everlasting hills: they shall be on the head of Joseph, and on the crown of the head of him that was separate from his brethren.
27Benjamin shall ravin as a wolf: in the morning he shall devour the prey, and at night he shall divide the spoil.
28All these are the twelve tribes of Israel: and this is it that their father spake unto them, and blessed them; every one according to his blessing he blessed them.
The goal is always Benjamin, but he who is in Naphtali gives goodly words. This chapter is a progressive step ladder in walking with God through each of the tribes.
::Sigh::

Old 06-04-2017, 11:12 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,042,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post

Jacob Blesses his Sons

South

East

North

West

Yep. The knowledge that we are to eat of the showbread (12 loaves, 12 tribe's having the word baked in them) by which we have Christ formed in us (who then becomes the veil with the cherubims woven into it), should be part of Christianity 101. Oh, wait, it is. Paul said he had to stay with the Galatians until Christ be formed in them. Peace

Old 06-04-2017, 11:25 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,042,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Rbbi1, anyone who is deceived does not know that they are deceived, that is why we need to be vigilant and not just believe it because we read it, hear it or think it. We need to test the spirits to see if they are of God.

The Acts languages were actual human languages, they had a point - to inform people of the gospel .......

In Corinthians the thrust of Paul's argument is that the point of languages is to be understood.

1Co 14:1 Pursue love, and seek eagerly the spiritual things, but rather that you may prophesy.
1Co 14:2 For the one speaking in a tongue does not speak to men, but to God, for no one hears, but in spirit he speaks mysteries.
1Co 14:3 But the one prophesying to men speaks for building up, and encouragement, and comfort.
1Co 14:4 The one speaking in a tongue builds himself up, but he prophesying builds up an assembly.
1Co 14:5 And I wish all of you to speak in languages, but rather that you may prophesy. For the one prophesying is greater than the one speaking in tongues, unless he interpret, that the assembly may receive building up.
1Co 14:6 But now, brothers, if I come to you speaking in tongues, what will I profit you, except I speak to you either in revelation, or in knowledge, or in prophecy, or in teaching?
1Co 14:7 Yet lifeless things giving a sound, whether flute or harp, if they do not give a distinction in the sound, how will it be known what is being piped or harped?
1Co 14:8 For also if a trumpet gives an uncertain sound, who will get himself ready for war?
1Co 14:9 So also you, if you do not give a clear word through the language, how will the thing being said be known? For you will be speaking into air.
1Co 14:10 So it may be many kinds of sounds are in the world, and not one is without distinct sound.
1Co 14:11 If, then, I do not know the power of the sound, I will be a foreigner to the one speaking, and he speaking to me, a foreigner.
1Co 14:12 So also you, since you are zealots of spiritual things, seek to build up the assembly that you may abound.
1Co 14:13 So then, the one speaking in a language, let him pray that he may interpret.
1Co 14:14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful.
1Co 14:15 What then is it? I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the mind; I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with the mind.
1Co 14:16 Else, if you bless in the spirit, the one occupying the place of the unlearned, how will he say the amen at your giving of thanks, since he does not know what you say?
1Co 14:17 For you truly give thanks well, but the other is not built up.
1Co 14:18 I thank my God that I speak more languages than all of you.
1Co 14:19 But in an assembly I desire to speak five words with my mind, that I may also instruct others, than myriads of words in a foreign language.
1Co 14:20 Brothers, do not be children in your minds, but in malice be like infants, and in your minds be mature.
1Co 14:21 It has been written in the Law, "By other languages" and "by other lips" "I will speak to this people," "and even so they will not hear" Me, says the Lord. Isa. 28:11, 12
1Co 14:22 So that tongues are not a sign to those believing, but to those not believing. But prophecy is not to those not believing, but to those believing.
1Co 14:23 Then if the whole assembly comes together, and all speak in tongues, and uninstructed ones or unbelievers come in, will they not say that you rave?
1Co 14:24 But if all prophesy, and some unbeliever or one not instructed comes in, he is convicted by all, he is judged by all.
1Co 14:25 And so the secrets of his heart become revealed; and so, falling on his face, he will worship God, declaring that God is truly among you.

Jesus sent his disciples into the world to make disciples and spread the gospel ....... that is the point not looking for signs and wonders which is what the "Pentecostal experience" is all about.

what you seem to think is that the Holy Spirit is there to tell us what to do even if it doesn't make sense, that we are like robots just doing the will of the Holy Spirit without learning, but that is not the purpose of the Holy Spirit, we are to be led into all truth and we are also told that God sends a delusion to those who do not have a love of the truth.

In the garden of Eden - knowledge of good and evil is in the same tree

We need to discern the truth from the error, the Holy Spirit tries us

In the scriptures God says he tests his people, it seems to me what you are trying to do is to fit what you read, think, hear into a preconceived idea without discernment.

JMO but by things you say your focus seems to be toward law and the pleasures of being a Christian ..... the focus of what Jesus came to tell the Jews and us is to deny ourselves and help others, look after our neighbour and brother

Gal 5:1 Then stand firm in the freedom with which Christ made us free and do not be held again with a yoke of slavery.
Gal 5:2 Behold, I, Paul, say to you that if you are circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing.
Gal 5:3 And I testify again to every man being circumcised, that he is a debtor to do all the Law,
Gal 5:4 you whoever are justified by Law, you were severed from Christ; you fell from grace.

Gal 5:18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under Law.
Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are clearly revealed, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lustfulness,
Gal 5:20 idolatry, sorcery, enmities, fightings, jealousies, angers, rivalries, divisions, heresies,
Gal 5:21 envyings, murders, drunkenness, revelings, and things like these; of which I tell you beforehand, as I also said before, that the ones practicing such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is: love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23 meekness, self-control. Against such things there is not a law.
Gal 5:24 But the ones belonging to Christ crucified the flesh with its[b] passions and lustsB].

You do realize that true discernment comes from the gift of discerning of SPIRITS, plural, which is one of the gifts given by the Holy Ghost, right? in the body, it's the same as the nose, because that is what you use to tell if something is spoiled before you eat it, when you can't tell from a cursory inspection with the eyes. It's part of the apothecary of the holy anointing oil, ie. gifts of the body used in conjunction with one another.

1Cor 12:17 If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling?

Peace

Old 06-04-2017, 11:58 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
You do realize that true discernment comes from the gift of discerning of SPIRITS, plural, which is one of the gifts given by the Holy Ghost, right? in the body, it's the same as the nose, because that is what you use to tell if something is spoiled before you eat it, when you can't tell from a cursory inspection with the eyes. It's part of the apothecary of the holy anointing oil, ie. gifts of the body used in conjunction with one another.

1Cor 12:17 If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling?

Peace
Innately, we know right from wrong, but we might have to test the water.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:21 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,694,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post

Peace
You seem to have a gift for research, but discernment not so much.

1 john 4:1 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are from God; for many false prophets have gone forth into the world.

To support the gift of tongues you try and find as many scriptures as you can, without actually thinking what it is meant to be used for and how it is different from the signs and wonders that the beast uses to deceive the world, the signs used in 2 Thess 2 and those referred to in Matt 7. Also when it comes to Paul saying the woman can not teach which is in the same section of writing in Corinthians you symbolise that away, but do not use discernment when looking at tongues. You like tongues and it is a sign that you think proves you are right so you will do anything to support it.

2Th 2:2 for you not to be quickly shaken in the mind, nor to be disturbed, neither through a spirit, nor through speech, nor through letter, as through us, as if the Day of Christ has come.
2Th 2:3 Do not let anyone deceive you in any way, because that Day will not come unless first comes the falling away, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition,
2Th 2:4 the one opposing and exalting himself over everything being called God, or object of worship, so as for him "to sit in the temple of God" as God, setting forth himself, that he is God. Dan. 11:36; Eze. 28:2
2Th 2:5 Do you not remember that I told you these things, I yet being with you?
2Th 2:6 And now you know the thing holding back, for him to be revealed in his time.
2Th 2:7 For the mystery of lawlessness already is working, only he is holding back now, until it comes out of the midst.
2Th 2:8 And then "the Lawless One" will be revealed, "whom" "the Lord" "will consume" "by the spirit of His mouth," and will bring to nought by the brightness of His presence. Isa. 11:4
2Th 2:9 His coming is according to the working of Satan in all power and miraculous signs and lying wonders,
2Th 2:10 and in all deceit of unrighteousness in those being lost, because they did not receive the love of the truth in order for them to be saved.

Mat 24:11 And many false prophets will be raised and will cause many to err.

Mat 7:21 Not everyone who says to Me, Lord, Lord, will enter into the kingdom of Heaven, but the ones who do the will of My Father in Heaven.
Mat 7:22 Many will say to Me in that day, Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name do many works of power?
Mat 7:23 And then I will declare to them, I never knew you; "depart from Me, those working lawlessness!" Psa. 6:8

In the bible it seems that error occurs when you deviate from loving God and loving your neighbour

This is where religion starts which elevates man, in Jeremiah we see that God had a problem with his people because they corrupted stuff that he said and we need to discern, and in the New Testament we see the same thing where man is worshipped as God, and we need to use discernment with that too. The wheat and tares are in everything ...... the wheat is not Christians and the tares non-Christian or wheat Jews tares non-Jews.

You seem to make a lot of "spirits" "demons" "angels" "devil" "satan" when you know that the bible is full of symbolism, allegory and metaphorical language that is not to be taken literally. Discernment comes of knowing what is literal and what is allegory, symbolism, metaphorical and what is both. "Satan" is not a literal fallen "angel"

You also look to "the law" of Moses to save you, but do not realise that the law is spiritual and is of Christ.

Last edited by Meerkat2; 06-04-2017 at 03:30 PM..

Old 06-04-2017, 05:06 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,694,213 times
Rbbi, I'm sorry if it comes across as judging you, that is not why I say what I do, i do not deny that there are gifts of teaching, prophecy, healing, tongues I am just skeptical about how they are viewed and applied.

I am more of the opinion that as humans we all have the spirit of God and all are in the flesh, God says he will pour out his spirit on all flesh, to me the point of the bible is not about being a Christian or be a Jew, (that is serving "the system") it is about honesty and truth and justice. Most of the "tongues" and "healing" that happens in Pentecostal churches is about the sign and not the person being healed or the message being given.

so my opinion is that we do see a lot of fake/false beliefs, teachings, healing which was foretold but I do not deny that there is true beliefs, teachings, healing. And I believe that true tongues is about a sensible message being delivered.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:50 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Meerkat2 - I wish you well in your attempts.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:52 PM

6,793 posts, read 2,904,212 times
If someone could offer up a legitimate 'purpose' behind present-day Pentecostal-style 'tongue-speaking' then it might be considered to be a genuine practice. But, there IS no purpose. "Because it makes me feel good" is hardly justification for one to be empowered with a 'supernatural talent' that was NEVER intended for such a self-serving purpose in the first place.

Many people are susceptible to suggestion and this, I believe, is what we see aplenty in Pentecostal settings, as well as perhaps continuing on in the privacy of one's home, or car, etc. Once someone is 'hooked' it becomes an addiction ...similar to that associated with alcohol or tobacco. It isn't just 'tongues' that have no purpose in these settings but also the other ridiculous practices that are comparable to an actual 'drug' and SO encouraged by this denomination.

At Pentecost the purpose behind those who had been empowered to speak in other languages is evident based on the previous (Mark 16:15) statements from Jesus about spreading the Gospel message to all the world as well as the disciples having been promised 'a helper' with which to do so. The facts according to scripture:

The Gospel was preached by the disciples (as per Jesus) in the languages (as per 'the helper') of the hearers who were present. THIS was the purpose of 'tongues' or, the accurate definition, 'languages'! The emphasis here has to be on, 1. spreading the Gospel message to all the world, and 2. the supernatural ability of speaking other languages given to those whose task it WAS (Not 'IS') to spread that message to the world. Is the preaching of the Gospel message what we hear today in Pentecostal settings? No it isn't ...not even close!

It also needs to be emphasized that 'tongues' or 'foreign languages' is ESTABLISHED as such in Acts. We now know what 'tongues' are because we've been TOLD what they are. Without any doubt at all they are (or were) 'foreign languages'. 'Tongues' DID NOT take on a different meaning to become something OTHER than what we were initially told in Acts simply because we now move to 1 Corinthians. 'Tongues' in 1 Corinthians STILL mean 'foreign languages' and nothing more! Paul, bless his heart, was evidently dealing with a rabble within the Church at Corinth, a city that was a crossroads for foreign travelers and traders. Many different languages ('tongues') would have been spoken. And, it would appear that many languages were being spoken in the church ...all at the same time evidently. We don't know exactly what was taking place but we do know from a general reading of 1 Corinthians that Paul was pretty frustrated trying to keep some kind of order amid a noisy bunch of people. SO, he uses exaggerations of speech (as we do today) to make the point that '“If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging symbol.”

Bearing in mind that many, even most, human beings are both gullible and self-absorbed, it's almost understandable how such a piece of hyperbole or exaggerated language from Paul when he speaks of 'the tongues of angels' would have been taken literally in order to create an actual religious doctrine. And, this is precisely what has happened! But only since the 1900's up until the present. Prior to that there was no misapplication of that particular passage of scripture.

There IS no legitimate purpose behind Pentecostal 'tongues'. There IS no need for a congregation who speak and understand the same language to have the Gospel message preached to them in a foreign language, as per Acts. And, the real clincher ...there IS no Gospel message contained in Pentecostal 'tongues'. It's simply babble that can be, and is, taught and learned or self induced through euphoria. But, it's totally 'human', i.e. 'non-supernatural' in all cases! That people can still believe that the Holy Spirit has any part in Pentecostal 'tongues' or any of the other disgraceful conduct that this denomination encourages then perhaps my above comment pertaining to human beings being both gullible and self-absorbed should also be emphasized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity