Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 08:23 PM

277 posts, read 191,353 times

Advertisements

I'm a Roman Catholic Christian, and I am interested in ancient Christianity, the churches of the east, and modern Reformed Christians. The Oriental Orthodox and Eastern Orthodox are both traditionally, very similar to the Latin Catholic Church. The Protestant/Reformed churches, are often more different/divergent in traditional orientated rituals, compared to the others mentioned. The Oriental Orthodox broke from both the Latin and Eastern Orthodox Churches in the 5th century CE.

The Eastern Orthodox broke from the Latin Church in 1054CE. The Eastern Orthodox and the Oriental Orthodox have both shown a certain degree of rapprochement, especially since the Latin Church convened the Vatican Two Council. The oldest national churches in the world are the Armenian Apostolic Church(301 CE) and, the Ethiopian Orthodox(333 CE) both of which are Oriental Orthodox. The Latin Church did not become the official church of the Roman Empire until (380 CE).

Both the Eastern Orthodox, and Oriental Orthodox, recognize the Roman Papacy as the Bishop of Rome, but they don't recognize the Latin Churches claim, of the Papacy having total supreme authority of the whole Church and of all Christians. Their are 1.3 billion Papal Catholic Christians, compared to, at most, 275 million Eastern Orthodox, and 90 million Oriental Orthodox Christians. Their may be over 850 million Christians that claim to be Protestant/Reformed. Roughly, some 50-75 million non-Trinitarians claim to be Christian, but their claim is often disputed by mainstream Trinitarian Christian groups. The Trinitarian churches represent 95-98% of all those claiming to be Christian.

Their may now be over 2.5 billion Christians in the world, accounting for 31-34% of the human population. Islam is projected to become larger than Christianity, and eclipse it by the end of the 21st century. The Christian birth-rates, as a whole have dipped, and conversion rates have slowed (though, this may change; especially in East Asia, and Africa). Protestant/Reformed oriented Churches, first started to become widely established worldwide starting in the 16th century CE.

On paper, Christianity seems like a rather divided religion.

Sometimes, the Churches have radically divergent scripture. The Ethiopian Orthodox, and Eritrean Orthodox together, amount to over 50 million Christians, and they recognize, both the Book of Enoch, and Book of Jubilees as scripture. Most Western and Eastern Churches alike have, historically, opposed considering the Book of Enoch, and Book of Jubilees, as scripture. A new group of Christians, called the Mormons, recognize additional scripture called, the Book of Mormon.

The Protesant Churches have retained several monarchist governments in Europe. The U.K. For example, has a Protestant and Democratic oriented Monarchy. The only remaining Papal Catholic monarchy is Spain, but, also, their are a few micro-state Catholic monarchies. Almost all other Christian Monarchies in the world are Protestant. Most Christian majority countries are highly secular; including the remaining Christian monarchies.

One Church I have yet to mention, is the ancient Assyrian Church of the East, which broke from all other major Christian Churches, some 1,600 years ago. Amazingly, this church has managed to survive, dispite having poor relations with nearly all other churches, and also succumbing to Islamic dominance in their native lands. They amount to, at most 700,000 people, and they are currently highly persecuted by Islamic extremist groups in Northern Iraq, and Eastern Syria.

In the lands where Christianity originated, the number of Christians has been observed to be diving downward for over 150 years. This is due to many factors. Many Christians outside of the Middle East/Western Asia, hope that the communities rebound and recover. Though, Islam is undoubtedly the dominate religion of Western Asia; especially so in the area of the world where Christianity originated. Outside of the secular Christian majority rule, in Cyprus, Armenia, Georgia, and arguably Lebanon, the region is over 90% Muslim; excluding Jewish Israel. Most Islamic societies, have historically been fair to their minority Christian subjects, but at times not so much.. Genocides against non-Muslims, and Christian minorities, are well documented in the declining Ottoman Empire. In Islamist ISIL controlled Northern Iraq, Christian Assyrians, and Kurdish Yazidis have both befallen to mass-murder.

Christian violence against other Christians, has also occurred. The Centuries old disputes/animosities, such as the Roman Catholic launched crusades against the Greek Orthodox ruled Byzantine Empire, have tarnished relations between the Latin Church and the Eastern Orthodox, since that time, till today. And, also, the centuries old past wars, fought by Catholics against Reformists, during the Protestant Reformation, primarily fought in Northern Europe, are still fresh in the minds of various Christians today, worldwide.

In recent years, their continues to be intercommunal violence between different Christian sects. One example of Christian on Christian violence is Ireland, where Catholics' and Protestants' have fought each-other for decades, over the future of the island. Also, in the 1990's, Predominately Catholic Croats fought the Eastern Orthodox Serbs, as well as Muslims, for political dominance in Bosnia, as the dying Yugoslavia communist republic disintegrated. Bosnian Muslims ultimately won out politically, due to the Christian Serbs and Croats fighting each other.

What does the future hold for Christianity? Will Christianity gradually become more unified or divided as time goes on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 03:09 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,008,103 times
The city were I go to church all the churches have a fair once a year for people , and then this year all the churches interested are sponsoring to buy a evangelical book of witness of Jesus Christ called ``Why`` which is a large magazine book to every house in the city....And then call to pray for all the people in the city .............The Pastors do have meetings with other pastors twice a year , and some Pastors visit other churches and preach at meeting for change and vacations for Pastors , so there is a trust for some Pastors of churches .............. See the only obstacle for unity for churches is the spirit of antichrist which brings a contention of hate against other church which people need to resist , as rebel churches fall into this rebellion they teach indifferences in churches to the people who don`t need to hear any of it as the spirit of antichrist could sound logical to teach hatred

Old 05-28-2017, 03:24 AM

2,906 posts, read 1,981,289 times
Unfortunately, it only seems to be getting more fractured as time goes on. I'm Lutheran and have seen that within my own denomination throughout my lifetime. My own church during my childhood was LCMS when I was baptized, fractured off and changed to ALC during the early-mid 1970's, then in 1987 while I was overseas in the military they were one of the church bodies that united to form the ELCA, a denomination I can't follow and don't consider a true Lutheran denomination. Martin Luther would not have approved, so if they wanted to change as much as they did they should have started their own denomination. Too bad because it's a beautiful church with a lot of tradition that was wiped out. Used to love their Christmas services. Standing room only they were so nice. The American Association of Lutheran Churches is what I would belong to if we had an associated church in my city. It started with 12 ALC churches that refused to be a part of the formation of the ELCA in '87. It's up to 70 churches now that are AALC.

On a broader scale, I think you pretty much said it. There are resentments between different denominations for various reasons, and church doctrines are different enough between them they do not sit in fellowship with each other, or with very few other denominations, For example, even some of the different Lutheran denominations refuse to sit in fellowship with each other for various reasons.

I'm concerned that denominations are getting further away from true scripture as time goes on, and also that children are not being brought up going to church, Sunday school, or going through catechism to become members of the church. No wonder we have so many atheists and agnostics in this country. I imagine it's harder to start believing in Father, Son, and Holy Spirit in adulthood when you haven't been raised to believe during childhood.

Good topic. Hope others offer their opinions.

Old 05-28-2017, 04:39 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Depends on which faction of Christianity one refers to--the one based on the message given by Christ to LOVE or the one based on man's interpretation of the Old Testament of FEAR, OPPRESS and a BROKEN SIN NATURE.

Old 05-28-2017, 11:54 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
Unfortunately, it only seems to be getting more fractured as time goes on. I'm Lutheran and have seen that within my own denomination throughout my lifetime. My own church during my childhood was LCMS when I was baptized, fractured off and changed to ALC during the early-mid 1970's, then in 1987 while I was overseas in the military they were one of the church bodies that united to form the ELCA, a denomination I can't follow and don't consider a true Lutheran denomination. Martin Luther would not have approved, so if they wanted to change as much as they did they should have started their own denomination.
Made me think of that passage in 1 Corinthians:

'When one of you says, "I am a follower of Paul," and another says, "I follow Apollos," [and another says, "I follow Martin Luther,"] are you not being unspiritual?'

Old 05-28-2017, 12:05 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post

'When one of you says, "I am a follower of Paul," and another says, "I follow Apollos," [and another says, "I follow Martin Luther,"] are you not being unspiritual?'
Yes we are, because we are closing the book and saying this is all there is when we say this is what we follow. Thank God that through the ages there have been men and women who have understood that there is more.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:53 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Depends on which faction of Christianity one refers to--the one based on the message given by Christ to LOVE or the one based on man's interpretation of the Old Testament of FEAR, OPPRESS and a BROKEN SIN NATURE.
Amen!!! Without love, it is all as a pointless sounding brass

Old 05-28-2017, 02:55 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Amen, Pleroo. A Christian should always be a follower of Christ and His repeated instructions to love God and each other every day and repent when we don't. That love for one another is the sign of a Christian.

Old 05-28-2017, 03:08 PM

2,906 posts, read 1,981,289 times
Quote:

Hah. Didn't say I follow Martin Luther, however we all know he started the Reformation that the Lutheran Church sprang from. If he wouldn't approve what a Lutheran denomination is doing, which it should be clear he wouldn't with the ELCA, I don't think they should consider themselves Lutheran. They've gone off the rails and have lost many members of their congregations because of it in my city, and I'm sure others as well.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:49 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysByChance View Post
I'm a Roman Catholic Christian, and I am interested in ancient Christianity, the churches of the east, and modern Reformed Christians. The Oriental Orthodox and Eastern Orthodox are both traditionally, very similar to the Latin Catholic Church. The Protestant/Reformed churches, are often more different/divergent in traditional orientated rituals, compared to the others mentioned. The Oriental Orthodox broke from both the Latin and Eastern Orthodox Churches in the 5th century CE.

The Eastern Orthodox broke from the Latin Church in 1054CE. The Eastern Orthodox and the Oriental Orthodox have both shown a certain degree of rapprochement, especially since the Latin Church convened the Vatican Two Council. The oldest national churches in the world are the Armenian Apostolic Church(301 CE) and, the Ethiopian Orthodox(333 CE) both of which are Oriental Orthodox. The Latin Church did not become the official church of the Roman Empire until (380 CE).

Both the Eastern Orthodox, and Oriental Orthodox, recognize the Roman Papacy as the Bishop of Rome, but they don't recognize the Latin Churches claim, of the Papacy having total supreme authority of the whole Church and of all Christians. Their are 1.3 billion Papal Catholic Christians, compared to, at most, 275 million Eastern Orthodox, and 90 million Oriental Orthodox Christians. Their may be over 850 million Christians that claim to be Protestant/Reformed. Roughly, some 50-75 million non-Trinitarians claim to be Christian, but their claim is often disputed by mainstream Trinitarian Christian groups. The Trinitarian churches represent 95-98% of all those claiming to be Christian.

Their may now be over 2.5 billion Christians in the world, accounting for 31-34% of the human population. Islam is projected to become larger than Christianity, and eclipse it by the end of the 21st century. The Christian birth-rates, as a whole have dipped, and conversion rates have slowed (though, this may change; especially in East Asia, and Africa). Protestant/Reformed oriented Churches, first started to become widely established worldwide starting in the 16th century CE.

On paper, Christianity seems like a rather divided religion.

Sometimes, the Churches have radically divergent scripture. The Ethiopian Orthodox, and Eritrean Orthodox together, amount to over 50 million Christians, and they recognize, both the Book of Enoch, and Book of Jubilees as scripture. Most Western and Eastern Churches alike have, historically, opposed considering the Book of Enoch, and Book of Jubilees, as scripture. A new group of Christians, called the Mormons, recognize additional scripture called, the Book of Mormon.

The Protesant Churches have retained several monarchist governments in Europe. The U.K. For example, has a Protestant and Democratic oriented Monarchy. The only remaining Papal Catholic monarchy is Spain, but, also, their are a few micro-state Catholic monarchies. Almost all other Christian Monarchies in the world are Protestant. Most Christian majority countries are highly secular; including the remaining Christian monarchies.

One Church I have yet to mention, is the ancient Assyrian Church of the East, which broke from all other major Christian Churches, some 1,600 years ago. Amazingly, this church has managed to survive, dispite having poor relations with nearly all other churches, and also succumbing to Islamic dominance in their native lands. They amount to, at most 700,000 people, and they are currently highly persecuted by Islamic extremist groups in Northern Iraq, and Eastern Syria.

In the lands where Christianity originated, the number of Christians has been observed to be diving downward for over 150 years. This is due to many factors. Many Christians outside of the Middle East/Western Asia, hope that the communities rebound and recover. Though, Islam is undoubtedly the dominate religion of Western Asia; especially so in the area of the world where Christianity originated. Outside of the secular Christian majority rule, in Cyprus, Armenia, Georgia, and arguably Lebanon, the region is over 90% Muslim; excluding Jewish Israel. Most Islamic societies, have historically been fair to their minority Christian subjects, but at times not so much.. Genocides against non-Muslims, and Christian minorities, are well documented in the declining Ottoman Empire. In Islamist ISIL controlled Northern Iraq, Christian Assyrians, and Kurdish Yazidis have both befallen to mass-murder.

Christian violence against other Christians, has also occurred. The Centuries old disputes/animosities, such as the Roman Catholic launched crusades against the Greek Orthodox ruled Byzantine Empire, have tarnished relations between the Latin Church and the Eastern Orthodox, since that time, till today. And, also, the centuries old past wars, fought by Catholics against Reformists, during the Protestant Reformation, primarily fought in Northern Europe, are still fresh in the minds of various Christians today, worldwide.

In recent years, their continues to be intercommunal violence between different Christian sects. One example of Christian on Christian violence is Ireland, where Catholics' and Protestants' have fought each-other for decades, over the future of the island. Also, in the 1990's, Predominately Catholic Croats fought the Eastern Orthodox Serbs, as well as Muslims, for political dominance in Bosnia, as the dying Yugoslavia communist republic disintegrated. Bosnian Muslims ultimately won out politically, due to the Christian Serbs and Croats fighting each other.

What does the future hold for Christianity? Will Christianity gradually become more unified or divided as time goes on?
Yes fractured with over 36,000 denominations in the US. The divisons simply fuflill Jesus words about the weeds taking over. They have and true Christians are not easily seen.

The verses about "I am of Paul, Peter, Etc" explain why so many divisions exist, they follow men (weeds).

Te violence helps identify the weed controlled churches as Jesus said what you do to the least of these my disciples you do to me. So every church that in any way has supported war, etc has supported killing Jesus. They are "Christian" in name only.

KJV Matthew 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity