U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 08:19 PM

9,590 posts, read 20,477,839 times

Advertisements

Here are the passages that I feel prove this believe wrong. Please chime in with your thoughts and passages:

Matthew 13:20
Jesus' explanation of the Parable of the Sower:

"The one who received the seed that fell on rocky places is the man who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. But since he has no root, he lasts only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, he quickly falls away."

Mark 13:13 Jesus says:

“All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved.”

Galatians 5:1 Paul says:

"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 08:23 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,451,100 times
This is a doctrine splitter. Some believe in it, some don't. If it keeps you on the good side of Christ, what does it matter? You can pound gavels and lecturns into Armageddon on this one, trying to discern truth.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:38 PM

11,918 posts, read 13,821,515 times
Hi, I believe that individuals can fall away. In addition to what has been shared, I think about Colossians 1 which speaks of believers being reconciled and and presented holy, blameless, and irreproachable in His sight-if they continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel..." This tells me that it is possible to fail in this respect, Some will not be presented holy, blamess, and irreproachable and will endure the consequences. Jesus spoke of the unprofitable servant. But those who do endure, the elect, I believe, are the firstfruits. I also believe that in the end, all will be reconciled to Him, and that the falling away is a temporary condition in light of many passages like Colossians 1:19-20, Romans 8:18-21, Ephesians 1: 10, 1 Cor. 1:15-20-28. God bless.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:49 PM

336 posts, read 758,971 times
You have well stated the argument that once saved not
always saved. Most churchs teach that once you know the lord your salvation is guaranteed.Why this is taught may have something to do with the sheep staying within the flock.Though,Jesus did come to save sinners... "Lord,how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me?Up to seven times?
Jesus answered,"I tell you not seven times,but seventy-seven times." Mt 18: 21 & 22 NIV

Old 03-09-2008, 08:52 PM

1,959 posts, read 4,643,556 times
We've covered this before. See Top 20 Most Frequently Asked Bible Questions #4

Old 03-09-2008, 09:13 PM

21,422 posts, read 29,551,815 times
I was saved once and for ALWAYS. I believe people can stray away but they will return. If we could be saved one day and lost the next, Jesus would take us to Heaven the minute we got saved.
Here are verses I believe support this:
1 John 5:13 "I write this to you who believe in the Son of God, so that you may know you have eternal life".
John 10:27-29 "My sheep recognize my voice, I know them and they follow me, I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one will snatch them away from me. For my Father has given them to Me and He is more powerful than anyone else. So no one can take them from Me".
Hebrews 9:12 "Once for all time He took blood into that Most Holy Place, not the blood of goats and calves, He took His own blood, and with it He secured our salvation forever".

How can we enjoy our salvation if we could lose it tomorrow......

Old 03-09-2008, 09:17 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,451,100 times
Hey Marks,
That GQ site is a humdinger, not offensive, just very polarized. It doesn't really invite critical thinking. Glad you put it up there, though, it's a snack for thought (doesn't even consider it food).
And now, back to another reality.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:42 PM

7,541 posts, read 4,029,239 times
Default Changing your Salvation

The only way to change it is to openly deny Him in public. It's in the book.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:04 PM

265 posts, read 552,567 times
if once saved always save is true, then once lost is ALWAYS LOST, and that's just not true.

Romans 11:22 - Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.

Colossians 1:23 - If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister.....

1 Timothy 4:16 - Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.

2 Timothy 3:14 - But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;

Acts 2:42 - And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

Acts 26:22 - Having therefore obtained help of God, I continue unto this day, witnessing both to small and great.......

1 John 2:24 - Let that therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from the beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continuein the Son, and in the Father.

Acts 14:22 - Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.

John 15:16 - Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

1 Corinthians 15:58 - Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.

CONSIDER THIS:

Romans 5:20 - ............ But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:

NOW CONSIDER THIS VERSE:

Rom.6:1-2 - What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? 2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

Hebrews 10:26 - For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

ok enough bible for now

Last edited by crystal-sea; 03-10-2008 at 02:23 PM..

Old 03-10-2008, 02:10 PM

738 posts, read 1,661,215 times
If you believe in Christ today and have eternal life, but lose it tomorrow, then it was never "eternal" at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or