Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 07:11 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Your portrayal of her as someone who needs to be "educated" is arrogant and condescending, to say the least. I hope you will see the error of your ways and apologize to the poster.
I was using her own word, Jimmie. She said she wanted to educate us, and so I assumed that learning was important to her, as it is to me. If that is the case, I believe she and I understand each other, and neither of us needs to apologize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqueline
And with that being said, I will give you some Bible verses to help you and educate you.
Perhaps, Jimmie, you could stop assuming the very worst about my motives simply because we do not see eye to eye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 07:16 AM

331 posts, read 315,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Please read 1st Corinthians 13, Galatians 5, and the Sermon on the Mount if you want to know the TRUE NATURE of our God as revealed and demonstrated by Jesus.
I'm betting Jacqueline has read them.

The difference between her Christianity and your "Christianity" is that she has read the rest of the Bible, too. She does not cherry-pick the verses that give her a warm and fuzzy feeling, reject the rest (including some of Jesus' clearest teachings) as primitive hogwash, and flounce around proclaiming "Look at me, I'm a new kind of Christian with a new kind of Christianity, one you can feel good about even if you're an atheist!"

Stay the course, Jacqueline, as I'm sure you will.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:16 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I just want to say that there is more than one way to share your faith. When someone starts lecturing me about Jesus, I start backing up.

To me it is better to share ones faith by example.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:28 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Your portrayal of her as someone who needs to be "educated" is arrogant and condescending, to say the least. I hope you will see the error of your ways and apologize to the poster.
You know, jimmiej, I would be very much surprised if this lovely person were not a "new Christian" who has heard and responded to the message recently, as well as being a "newbie" to this site. It is clear that she has heard that message from only one source and that the basis for her response is that concern for others that is the heart of the message, much like yours. It is to be hoped that she will not become so invested in the doctrines of men that skew that message that her response will be blunted.

A bit of meat is better than sour milk at this point, IMO.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:32 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I just want to say that there is more than one way to share your faith. When someone starts lecturing me about Jesus, I start backing up.

To me it is better to share ones faith by example.
An excellent point. Perhaps it would be best to point out that there are probably ministries where she could volunteer that are not a part of her church, but which provide help to those in need.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:09 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,663 times
I support you, but on this website, all the anti-Christians will blow a gasket at reading this. Keep up the good work.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:39 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
You know, jimmiej, I would be very much surprised if this lovely person were not a "new Christian" who has heard and responded to the message recently, as well as being a "newbie" to this site. It is clear that she has heard that message from only one source and that the basis for her response is that concern for others that is the heart of the message, much like yours. It is to be hoped that she will not become so invested in the doctrines of men that skew that message that her response will be blunted.

A bit of meat is better than sour milk at this point, IMO.
Doctrines of men? You mean Jesus and His apostles?

Old 06-07-2017, 09:11 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Doctrines of men? You mean Jesus and His apostles?
yeah, MEN...

Old 06-07-2017, 09:26 AM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It is understandable that you would be desperate, terrified even, at the preposterous fate you actually think awaits any of us. Any God who would create a Hell of eternal torment for ANY reason is an evil being. Our Father is NOT an evil being and God IS love. There is no way God would present any danger to anyone for any reason. Please read 1st Corinthians 13, Galatians 5, and the Sermon on the Mount if you want to know the TRUE NATURE of our God as revealed and demonstrated by Jesus.
She is a newbie, Pleroo. I suspect she is much like you were when you were trapped in the fundamentalist ignorance of Bible idolatry. It will take time for the truth of love to penetrate such strong indoctrination.
LOL, Whatchya gonna teach her?

You gonna convince her not to read the bible?

Meh, Couldn't help myself.

She can read.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:31 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
LOL, Whatchya gonna teach her?

That you are Jesus, and both are above God and his word, and then try and convince her not to read the bible?

Meh, Couldn't help myself.

She can read.
When has Mystic ever said he was Jesus, or above God and God's Word*, OR tried to convince people not to read the bible? See, this is what I meant about how, just lately, you've gotten into the habit of misrepresenting people's beliefs. Doesn't it raise a red flag in your mind that you're finding it necessary to do that?

*He disagrees with you about what God's Word is, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity