U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-11-2017, 04:56 AM
 
Location: Someplace Wonderful
5,170 posts, read 3,733,130 times
Reputation: 2546

Advertisements

Currently available for streaming on Netflix. Probably available for watching or purchase in other venues.

I have to say I found this quite interesting. Real working scientists interviewed on site by a former computer programmer and man of faith. All those interviewed are people of faith as well. Christians will find this effort to reconcile their faith with science reaffirming.

I'm not sure I buy the case in it's entirety, Overlooked are things like the geology of tectonic plates, and liberties are taken with certain laws of physics, like the speed of light. I mean, God creates laws of physics. only to violate them arbitrarily? The existence of total eclipses of the sun is proof that the earth is the center of God;s creation, if not literally, but in terms of purpose? How do we know there are not total eclipses elsewhere in this universe?

Still, many of the interpretations of the physical world we see today are worth consideration and offers alternatives to the paradigms through which we see the natural world.

Recommended, if only to open minds about things we see around us.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-11-2017, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
15,564 posts, read 7,023,234 times
Reputation: 1606
So, who chse the hoops for these people to jump through?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2017, 10:11 AM
Status: "Phlegmatic." (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
23,406 posts, read 12,113,023 times
Reputation: 10672
Genesis is history to those who dozed through high school.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2017, 10:33 AM
 
20,322 posts, read 15,674,976 times
Reputation: 7436
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Currently available for streaming on Netflix. Probably available for watching or purchase in other venues.

I have to say I found this quite interesting. Real working scientists interviewed on site by a former computer programmer and man of faith. All those interviewed are people of faith as well. Christians will find this effort to reconcile their faith with science reaffirming.

I'm not sure I buy the case in it's entirety, Overlooked are things like the geology of tectonic plates, and liberties are taken with certain laws of physics, like the speed of light. I mean, God creates laws of physics. only to violate them arbitrarily? The existence of total eclipses of the sun is proof that the earth is the center of God;s creation, if not literally, but in terms of purpose? How do we know there are not total eclipses elsewhere in this universe?

Still, many of the interpretations of the physical world we see today are worth consideration and offers alternatives to the paradigms through which we see the natural world.

Recommended, if only to open minds about things we see around us.
I don't subscribe to Netflix, so I can't watch the documentary.

However, there is no need to try to reconcile the creation story in Genesis with science, or vice versa. Those who do so are attempting to impose a 20th/21st century scientific worldview/cosmic geography on an ancient time and culture, seeing that scientifically the creation story doesn't hold up, and then criticizing the Bible for not being what it was never intended to be. Genesis was written to Israel which shared much of the same cosmic geography as its ancient near eastern (ANE) neighbors who had their own creation stories. The creation story in Genesis may very well be a polemic in which the point is not so much how God created the heavens and the earth but that it was the God of Israel who created them instead of the gods of their ANE neighbors.

God had things to communicate to Israel and it wasn't necessary to change their existing worldview/cosmic geography in order to get the message across. If the Bible had been written to us today instead of to Israel two and three thousand years ago it would not speak to us in terms of whatever cosmic geography will exist two and three thousand years from now. If it did, we wouldn't understand it. God communicated with the ancient Israelites in terms they could understand. He met them where they were. It wasn't necessary for God to update Israel's knowledge of the cosmos in order to get His message across to them.

It isn't necessary, and it's a mistake to try to impose a modern scientific understanding of the Universe on an ancient text and culture and then condemn it for not measuring up to our modern understanding. What is necessary is to try to understand Genesis in the way it was understood by the ancient Israelites to whom it was written. God didn't intend to give Israel a 21st century knowledge of the Universe. He intended for them to know that He was their God and for them there was no other.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2017, 03:35 AM
 
Location: Someplace Wonderful
5,170 posts, read 3,733,130 times
Reputation: 2546
I have believed what you state here for many years, Mike, but you state it much more eloquently.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2017, 04:31 PM
 
20,322 posts, read 15,674,976 times
Reputation: 7436
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
I have believed what you state here for many years, Mike, but you state it much more eloquently.
Thank you.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2017, 11:49 PM
 
3,293 posts, read 1,737,870 times
Reputation: 3656
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Currently available for streaming on Netflix. Probably available for watching or purchase in other venues.

I have to say I found this quite interesting. Real working scientists interviewed on site by a former computer programmer and man of faith. All those interviewed are people of faith as well. Christians will find this effort to reconcile their faith with science reaffirming.

I'm not sure I buy the case in it's entirety, Overlooked are things like the geology of tectonic plates, and liberties are taken with certain laws of physics, like the speed of light. I mean, God creates laws of physics. only to violate them arbitrarily? The existence of total eclipses of the sun is proof that the earth is the center of God;s creation, if not literally, but in terms of purpose? How do we know there are not total eclipses elsewhere in this universe?

Still, many of the interpretations of the physical world we see today are worth consideration and offers alternatives to the paradigms through which we see the natural world.

Recommended, if only to open minds about things we see around us.
Genesis makes many claims that are decidedly non-scientific. Does the show actually attempt to address whether a personal god meddled in the actions of humans? After all, that is a central part of the book of Genesis, and I'm curious how science could address that question.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2017, 11:52 PM
 
3,293 posts, read 1,737,870 times
Reputation: 3656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
God had things to communicate to Israel and it wasn't necessary to change their existing worldview/cosmic geography in order to get the message across. If the Bible had been written to us today instead of to Israel two and three thousand years ago it would not speak to us in terms of whatever cosmic geography will exist two and three thousand years from now. If it did, we wouldn't understand it. God communicated with the ancient Israelites in terms they could understand. He met them where they were. It wasn't necessary for God to update Israel's knowledge of the cosmos in order to get His message across to them.

What is necessary is to try to understand Genesis in the way it was understood by the ancient Israelites to whom it was written.
I'm assuming you believe god knew that the Bible would eventually be in the hands of us 21st-century dwellers, no? Wouldn't that make us as much a part of the intended audience of Genesis as ancient Israelites?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2017, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
15,564 posts, read 7,023,234 times
Reputation: 1606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I'm assuming you believe god knew that the Bible would eventually be in the hands of us 21st-century dwellers, no? Wouldn't that make us as much a part of the intended audience of Genesis as ancient Israelites?
With a bit better understanding of the nature of myth? Thank you Joseph Campbell.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2017, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
8,612 posts, read 5,129,569 times
Reputation: 3917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I don't subscribe to Netflix, so I can't watch the documentary.

However, there is no need to try to reconcile the creation story in Genesis with science, or vice versa. Those who do so are attempting to impose a 20th/21st century scientific worldview/cosmic geography on an ancient time and culture, seeing that scientifically the creation story doesn't hold up, and then criticizing the Bible for not being what it was never intended to be. Genesis was written to Israel which shared much of the same cosmic geography as its ancient near eastern (ANE) neighbors who had their own creation stories. The creation story in Genesis may very well be a polemic in which the point is not so much how God created the heavens and the earth but that it was the God of Israel who created them instead of the gods of their ANE neighbors.

God had things to communicate to Israel and it wasn't necessary to change their existing worldview/cosmic geography in order to get the message across. If the Bible had been written to us today instead of to Israel two and three thousand years ago it would not speak to us in terms of whatever cosmic geography will exist two and three thousand years from now. If it did, we wouldn't understand it. God communicated with the ancient Israelites in terms they could understand. He met them where they were. It wasn't necessary for God to update Israel's knowledge of the cosmos in order to get His message across to them.

It isn't necessary, and it's a mistake to try to impose a modern scientific understanding of the Universe on an ancient text and culture and then condemn it for not measuring up to our modern understanding. What is necessary is to try to understand Genesis in the way it was understood by the ancient Israelites to whom it was written. God didn't intend to give Israel a 21st century knowledge of the Universe. He intended for them to know that He was their God and for them there was no other.
This is perhaps the sanest thing you've ever composed, Mike, without the literalism so many of your posts have contained.

So if both your cyber friends and opponents see it as encouraging, you can be much more certain that it came from God.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top