Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 08:58 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,708,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
On that final day, when all are lined up before the gate, there will indeed be a gnawing and mashing of teeth as those self-appointed do-gooders who have spread FEAR, twisted scripture into lies and self-serving power & status, are finally shown the truth they steadfastly reject today----call us "lite," call them "fluff," and even call me "liberal," it all means the same--

They have acted justly and loved mercy and walked humbly with God. And in their hearts they have died a little bit each day witnessing the manipulation and oppression of humanity for the sake of PROFIT and STATUS.

Those who have ears have already heard...
Amen. And call me a snowflake too, if you want to. I like snowflakes. Snowflakes are pretty. In just a short time, this hellish freak show of suffering humanity will be over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 10:56 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,844,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Is there any question why I LOVE and APPRECIATE you?? NONE....
I love you too, Z!!

Old 06-16-2017, 06:50 AM

537 posts, read 456,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I believe it is exactly what 2 Timothy 4:3-4 is talking about: “For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.”

I think this describes fundamentalism to a T.
I don't think that this would really apply to fundamentalism. The language in this passage seems to speak more in the sense of people wanting to hear things that are more palatable to their ears... something more in line with an "easy believism" type of theology. Even if we don't agree with fundamentalism, I don't think people really "want" to hear what this system would teach.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:22 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,916,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAA2310 View Post
I don't think that this would really apply to fundamentalism. The language in this passage seems to speak more in the sense of people wanting to hear things that are more palatable to their ears... something more in line with an "easy believism" type of theology. Even if we don't agree with fundamentalism, I don't think people really "want" to hear what this system would teach.
One might think so but the fact is that having sermons about the nature of God and about what horrible things OTHER people do scratch the itch of self-righteousness and avoid the central message of how followers of Christ will actually deal with our fellow humans in our day to day lives. Go again to Westboro for an extreme example. "Theology" and "law" are the ultimate ways to avoid the core message.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:38 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Sure they do. The message that you are part of a narrow, select group who will survive eternity while you get to watch with barely suppressed glee everyone else suffering is very appealing. You are special. You are chosen. You are superior. It worked in Germany in the 1930s, and it works in the fundamentalist version of any religion. Separating people into "us" and "them" is a human weakness.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:02 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,155,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Sure they do. The message that you are part of a narrow, select group who will survive eternity while you get to watch with barely suppressed glee everyone else suffering is very appealing. You are special. You are chosen. You are superior. It worked in Germany in the 1930s, and it works in the fundamentalist version of any religion. Separating people into "us" and "them" is a human weakness.
Indeed. Some religions are quite explicit in their recruiting literature:

https://jwfacts.com/images/armageddo...Feb-15-p16.jpg

Old 06-16-2017, 11:52 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,283,016 times
Quote:
There is nothing more easy believing than " believe Jesus died for your sins and your going to heaven instead of hell because of it" There is nothing more easy too than parroting in agreement with like minded folk that the bible is "infallible and inerrant". Neither of these prove anything.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:06 PM

1,613 posts, read 1,028,128 times
I think the truth has components of the lite and traditional full fat Christianity. There's no denying that taking up your cross and becoming a mature son involves many battles between fear and faith, and they are very real, ...Ha ha, and when was the last time most Christians ever heard a sermon on the opposite spirits of fear and faith - I'll wager less than 1% ever did - so who's bloody tickling ears now.

However, if God is the father of All and reconciling all to himself then salvation, just the start of the process, has to be more akin to falling off a log than straining gnats.

I've always found NDE testimonials very encouraging - they've always lifted me higher.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:10 PM

3,801 posts, read 2,995,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
I think the truth has components of the lite and traditional full fat Christianity. There's no denying that taking up your cross and becoming a mature son involves many battles between fear and faith, and they are very real, ...Ha ha, and when was the last time most Christians ever heard a sermon on the opposite spirits of fear and faith - I'll wager less than 1% ever did - so who's bloody tickling ears now.

However, if God is the father of All and reconciling all to himself then salvation, just the start of the process, has to be more akin to falling off a log than straining gnats.

I've always found NDE testimonials very encouraging - they've always lifted me higher.

They are interesting, but are seen as "non-biblical" to hard core Christians. (not Liberals), so are never given any credibility by them.
Funny that an NDE has to follow the bible chapter and verse (and there is not that much on it in the bible), when nobody really knows what will happen on the other side.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:33 PM

537 posts, read 456,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
One might think so but the fact is that having sermons about the nature of God and about what horrible things OTHER people do scratch the itch of self-righteousness and avoid the central message of how followers of Christ will actually deal with our fellow humans in our day to day lives. Go again to Westboro for an extreme example. "Theology" and "law" are the ultimate ways to avoid the core message.
[Sure they do. The message that you are part of a narrow, select group who will survive eternity while you get to watch with barely suppressed glee everyone else suffering is very appealing. You are special. You are chosen. You are superior. It worked in Germany in the 1930s, and it works in the fundamentalist version of any religion. Separating people into "us" and "them" is a human weakness.[Mightyqueen801]
************************************************** ************************************************** **********

I'm still pretty doubtful of this. Even if a preacher, or anyone sharing the Gospel, emphasizes that we are under the wrath of God for having transgressed His Law, the message is ultimately still: "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Any believer with a passion/compassion to share the Gospel with a world desperately in need of God's grace and forgiveness through Jesus Christ is going to make certain that this message is clear. Any mention of how we, by nature, must suffer God's wrath because of our sins must always be accompanied by that "good news" of salvation through Jesus Christ. There should never, ever, be a situation where those bringing this message possess any sense of 'glee' in speaking about hell for those who refuse to trust or believe or Christ as their only hope of being made right with God. This is because all of us are in the same boat, as it were, without Christ as our Savior.

In the parable of the Pharisee and the publican, the publican couldn't even lift his eyes to heaven, but simply cried out, " God be merciful to me a sinner". Jesus followed that with: "I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Pride or arrogance have no part in the preaching and the hearing of the Gospel. The angel appeared to the shepherds in the field that night saying, "I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord".

We are to receive this message very humbly and with much thanksgiving, realizing that we don't deserve salvation any more than anyone else. It is entirely an act of God's love and mercy and grace. There is clearly no room for haughtiness, but an attitude that will praise God and glorify His name.

But no one wants to hear that he is a sinner and needs salvation the way the Bible explains it. Most people who reject the Gospel believe that they are OK on their own, and do not need a savior. The Gospel message extends the promise that whoever will believe on the Lord Jesus Christ will not perish but have everlasting life. It would seem to me that those who have "itching ears" will prefer to believe something much less threatening, such as a message that tells them that it's OK...God loves you and forgives you.

This message does contain some truth, but not outside the need for us to repent and believe the Gospel. God's mercy and grace are available to all who will abandon any sense of self-righteousness, and throw themselves on the mercy of God and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, trusting in Him, alone, for salvation. It is a demonstration of love that could never be equaled anywhere, nor by anyone else.

May the Lord richly bless you all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity