Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 12:12 PM

4,685 posts, read 6,133,422 times

Advertisements

Proverbs 13:24 (NKJV)
24 He who spares his rod hates his son,
But he who loves him disciplines him promptly.

What does this verse mean to you? I
ve seen other examples as well along the same lines.
Proverbs 10:13(NKJV)
13 Wisdom is found on the lips of him who has understanding,
But a rod is for the back of him who is devoid of understanding.

Proverbs 22:15(NKJV)
15 Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child;
The rod of correction will drive it far from him.

Proverbs 23:13New King James Version (NKJV)
13 Do not withhold correction from a child,
For if you beat him with a rod, he will not die.

Proverbs 29:15(KJV)
15 The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.

The word rod indicates a thin stick or switch that can be used to give a small amount of physical pain with no lasting physical injury.

Even though I would get a whipping if I was bad growing up, I personally dont believe in beating children with a belt. Maybe a pop or 2 on the behind, but belt whippings just reminds me of slavery of someone getting whipped and being quoted the bible the same time as well.

I do agree in discipline of a child to teach them lessons and time out is nonsense and doesnt work, but it seems like scriptures encourages the beating of children when you see the word rod in many verses and many Ive known get overjoyed to quote that verse to beat their children when they are bad.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 12:23 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Reasons NOT to Hit Your Kids

"Hitting children teaches them to become hitters themselves...

In many cases of so-called "bad behavior", the child is simply responding in the only way he can, given his age and experience, to neglect of basic needs...

Punishment distracts the child from learning how to resolve conflict in an effective and humane way...

Punishment interferes with the bond between parent and child...

Many parents never learned in their own childhood that there are positive ways of relating to children...

Anger and frustration which cannot be safely expressed by a child become stored inside...

Physical punishment gives the dangerous and unfair message that "might makes right", that it is permissible to hurt someone else, provided they are smaller and less powerful than you are...

Gentle instruction, supported by a strong foundation of love and respect, is the only truly effective way to bring about commendable behavior based on strong inner values, instead of superficially "good" behavior based only on fear. "

Old 06-20-2017, 12:36 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post

15 The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.

The word rod indicates a thin stick or switch that can be used to give a small amount of physical pain with no lasting physical injury.

Even though I would get a whipping if I was bad growing up, I personally dont believe in beating children with a belt. Maybe a pop or 2 on the behind, but belt whippings just reminds me of slavery of someone getting whipped and being quoted the bible the same time as well.

I do agree in discipline of a child to teach them lessons and time out is nonsense and doesnt work, but it seems like scriptures encourages the beating of children when you see the word rod in many verses and many Ive known get overjoyed to quote that verse to beat their children when they are bad.

Children who are not properly disciplined generally will end up with a bad life and even can die due to it. That is why the one versions says "die"

13 Do not withhold correction from a child, For if you beat him with a rod, he will not die.

It is not an order to beat them, but if discipline is withheld even if at times it is with a rod, rather that if they do not the child will suffer far worse as an adult.

Now excessive or violent discipline is wrong. Using a belt is not a good idea as such can drive the child away rather than instruct them. No discipline or just words, can fail just as badly.

It is guidance not an order.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:38 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
"...People who justify physical punishment were almost always spanked and physically punished themselves. As children, we numb-out our bodies while we are being spanked. So, if we express anger about it, we get punished for that. As grown-ups, we now idealize our parents and justify their actions. This is not about bad people. It's called "delusion."

Strangely enough, the more a child is beaten, the more they create an idealized parent. Doing what your parents did protects the idealization. When grown-ups, who were spanked, spank their own children, they are activating their unconscious need to pass the humiliation on. There is nothing loving about the act of hitting someone who is five times smaller than you, even if you do it with the best of intentions.

Our parents and grandparents were not bad for spanking us. They were uninformed. They drove Model Ts. We don't do that any more. Those who quote the Bible to justify their honest beliefs forget that the Bible makes its harshest judgement on those who hurt little children..." ~ John Bradshaw

John Bradshaw on Spanking

[emphasis mine]

Old 06-20-2017, 12:41 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,061,302 times
Spoiled brats end up on anti-depressants.
Meds are accepted as normal because the parents are usually already taking happy pills.
Selfishness, at the extreme, is fatal.

It never works out well when people think they know better than the bible.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:49 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Meds are accepted as normal because the parents are usually already taking happy pills.

Ignorant, primitive, bronze age people wrote the bible.

And some people today share the same mindset.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:52 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Ignorant, primitive, bronze age people wrote the bible.

And some people today share the same mindset.
Wow, you're just a beacon of wonderful encouragement.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:55 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post

It means a good parent teaches their kids right from wrong. It may mean corporal punishment like spanking, or it may mean simply teaching a kid how to live.

Obviously, some of the folks here must have never had a mommy or daddy that cared, so they never learned how to interact in a nice way and just come along to snipe and make ignorant statements.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:24 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
It means a good parent teaches their kids right from wrong. It may mean corporal punishment like spanking, or it may mean simply teaching a kid how to live.

Obviously, some of the folks here must have never had a mommy or daddy that cared, so they never learned how to interact in a nice way and just come along to snipe and make ignorant statements.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:36 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post

It is documented that the groups in US society which use physical punishment the most as a means of discipline is the group which has the highest crime rate and incarceration rate! (This is not a surprise to anyone not holding an agenda). Violence begets violence. Duh.

The bible is an awful moral guide. It is sexist, homophobic, mentions slavery without condemnation. Doesn't tell one how to properly treat animals or the environment of Earth. There is an angry God that condemns people forever, destroys cities out of jealously and other violence. Its appalling backward nonsense.

The universal declaration of human rights already is a more perfect document and more enlightened than the bible - that's just embarrassing for someone who holds up the bible as some ultimate moral law. Of course its not popular because it doesn't promise the glittery prize of "everlasting life!" to those that follow the rules. It just says - this is how each person should be treated. That doesn't appeal to venal, narcissistic humans who want a prize - hence the popularity of morally bankrupt ideologies like Christianity and Islam.

Last edited by bg7; 06-20-2017 at 02:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity