U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 09-08-2008, 07:22 PM

467 posts, read 858,884 times
according to the catholic faith it is, in and of itself, a sin. if you want to know why, look it up. i'm not so good at explaining theology to people. but look it up if you're curious... their reasoning makes sense to me

Unread 10-01-2008, 01:59 AM

1 posts, read 8,922 times
Default Yes God mentions in the Bible that masterbation is a sin

I try my hardest to stay committed to not sinning, but this subject I was baffled with, so I researched it and found that God does speak of how masterbating is a sin, but he refers to it as "sensual pleasure" and I know it is in the book of Romans, but I dont remember what chapter. However, if u look up the definition of sensuality it means, "unrestrained indulgence in sensual pleasures." So, whether your masterbating with or without lust for whatever reason, its a sensual pleasure with unrestrained indulgence. This is why masterbating, with or without lust in mind, is a sin.

I KNOW, I KNOW, I WAS DEPRESSED FOR A MINUTE WHEN I FOUND OUT TOO.

Unread 10-01-2008, 07:02 AM

20,929 posts, read 24,640,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cspan1986 View Post
I try my hardest to stay committed to not sinning, but this subject I was baffled with, so I researched it and found that God does speak of how masterbating is a sin, but he refers to it as "sensual pleasure" and I know it is in the book of Romans, but I dont remember what chapter. However, if u look up the definition of sensuality it means, "unrestrained indulgence in sensual pleasures." So, whether your masterbating with or without lust for whatever reason, its a sensual pleasure with unrestrained indulgence. This is why masterbating, with or without lust in mind, is a sin.

When God does not like something He lays it out for everyone to see. God sets it in clear language. Often the sins of the Bible are referred to many times, just to make them clear exactly what they are.

The Old Testament is our 'School Master'. It teaches us the Law, the clear letter of what is right and wrong. The New testament shows us liberty. Once you understand what is clearly right / wrong, now we know the heart of God and we have the spirit to guide us.

The New Testament nowhere gives us any new Laws.

Every sin referred to in the New Testament, was already present and explained in the Old Testament.

So you say that in this one case, it was not a sin during the Old Testament era when sins be defined. Rather it only appears in the New Testament, when we are at liberty?

This interpretation does not mesh with the structure of God's Word, contextually.

To manipulate the wording to force it into such a meaning, is not proper.

When interpreting the Word of God, all must fit together. There can be no contradictions.

Unread 10-01-2008, 09:26 AM

6,823 posts, read 6,307,925 times
I believe we are made of spirit and soul, with the soul containing all the emotional aspects of the flesh. While the soul wars with the spirit, the spirit must put the soul under submission. This includes the lusts of the flesh - the "sensual" feelings - and ultimately the sense of "self".

Unread 10-01-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I believe we are made of spirit and soul, with the soul containing all the emotional aspects of the flesh. While the soul wars with the spirit, the spirit must put the soul under submission. This includes the lusts of the flesh - the "sensual" feelings - and ultimately the sense of "self".
Yes that makes sense.

I was just thinking of this within the context of Christianity though.

Bless you

Unread 10-01-2008, 02:44 PM

6,823 posts, read 6,307,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I was just thinking of this within the context of Christianity though.
Is the issue of spirit vs. flesh not within the context of Christianity?

Unread 10-01-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Is the issue of spirit vs. flesh not within the context of Christianity?
Christianity is that belief which is taught to us via the Bible.

It is a branch onto the tree of the Hebrew peoples, God's people.

It is all about spirit, and truth.

The salvation of mankind and godliness.

To bring non-Biblical doctrines into it. To try to justify heresy by using a phrase here or a passage there, would be error.

Those things which God condemns, are clearly condemned. Those condemnation are loud and explained and repeated.

When God does not condemn something, nor can I.

Christianity is about seeking God, through His son Jesus Christ.

Unread 11-13-2008, 11:01 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,439,108 times
Fortunately, masturbation (correct spelling) does not send you to hell. Quit obsessing.

Unread 11-13-2008, 11:31 PM

14,756 posts, read 12,066,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post
according to the catholic faith it is, in and of itself, a sin. if you want to know why, look it up. i'm not so good at explaining theology to people. but look it up if you're curious...
This thread is still going on?

No one needs to look it up! Post #10 says very well, and puts it all into context.

I'm Catholic and can't even waste my time to think about something like this. It's that archaic, Monty Python inspired "wasted spilled seed" mentality. The Catholic church doesn't pay for the costs to raise children and some of the most dogmatic people in its flock are also the most hypocritical.

While probably not the best of habits, the wages of "whacking it" are NOT death.

Unread 11-14-2008, 12:31 AM

4,047 posts, read 2,615,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cspan1986 View Post

Moderator cut: edit If you do it discreetly, alone, in your own home, on occasion, just to relieve a bit of pressure, I don't see this as being unrestrained.

Last edited by june 7th; 11-14-2008 at 03:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity