Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 10:37 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,001,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Well, not surprisingly you missed the point of the question because your mind says "sin" instead of "error" or "problem."
That's what the Bible says, so..well....

Quote:

The point is that "sin" is "missing the mark," and if you have no idea what the "mark" is or why it is important to us to aim for it, you can't even help yourself, much less anyone else.

Hint: it's not about a book of rules. Check out the ONLY "commandment" Jesus "gave." THEN consider what Paul meant by saying "'Everything is permissible for me,' but not everything is beneficial. 'Everything is permissible for me,' but I will not be mastered by anything."
I've never suggested that it's a book of rules. We are not under the Mosaic Law. But we are called to love God. And if we truly love God we will not seek to do those things that God has expressed disapproval of.

Do you love God? Or are you just looking for a support group to tell you that you're ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 10:57 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,203,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
That's what the Bible says, so..well....

I've never suggested that it's a book of rules. We are not under the Mosaic Law. But we are called to love God. And if we truly love God we will not seek to do those things that God has expressed disapproval of.

Do you love God? Or are you just looking for a support group to tell you that you're ok?
Jesus tells me everyday that I am ACCEPTABLE just the way I am...

Old 06-23-2017, 11:02 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,485,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Well, not surprisingly you missed the point of the question because your mind says "sin" instead of "error" or "problem." The point is that "sin" is "missing the mark," and if you have no idea what the "mark" is or why it is important to us to aim for it, you can't even help yourself, much less anyone else.

Hint: it's not about a book of rules. Check out the ONLY "commandment" Jesus "gave." THEN consider what Paul meant by saying "'Everything is permissible for me,' but not everything is beneficial. 'Everything is permissible for me,' but I will not be mastered by anything."
1) That from Paul is the first sentence on the topic of sexual immorality which ends with:
"Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body,
but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body.

Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies."
Homosexuality is not therefore a "error" or "problem" -- it is a sin.

Conclusion:
To love Jesus is to flee from sexual immorality NOT engage in \ approve of in various ways.
To love Jesus is to honor God by fleeing from sexual immorality --- NOT engage in homosexuality \ approve of it in various ways.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) Your quote is taken just after Paul wrote this:
"Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
And that is what some of you were.

But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God."
Conclusion: "And that is what some of you were." ....
  • "were" is not "are"
  • "were" indicates a change to the Godly lifestyle \ behavior that goes with "I will not be mastered by anything."

Old 06-23-2017, 11:04 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,773,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Acceptable is nice, but I want to hear this from God:

‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’

Old 06-23-2017, 11:11 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,342,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
There is nothing wrong with rock-climbing, or being who you are - unless, you're throwing stones.
Quote:
No one is throwing stones here except you.

I understand that you find no value in it without your judgments.
Try reaching out with an open-hand, rather than a closed fist.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:17 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Acceptable is nice, but I want to hear this from God:

‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’
That would be so exciting! I can just picture your tail wagging!!

Old 06-23-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post

I understand that you find no value in it without your judgments.
Try reaching out with an open-hand, rather than a closed fist.
And in the process you are throwing stones at me and others that disagree with you. Please try to be nice.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Weird..because God has already said in his word that all are sinful, and all deserve to be punished, but Jesus died on the cross and those that trust in him can be forgiven.

So why should I believe what you claim your god told you over what God has already says?

Old 06-23-2017, 12:09 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,342,369 times
Quote:
And in the process you are throwing stones at me and others that disagree with you. Please try to be nice.
I suppose it's a matter of perception?

Old 06-23-2017, 12:17 PM

331 posts, read 315,200 times
Quote:
I hear Christ supposedly took care of this sometime back? Are people now standing in for Christ and saving folks?
Christ "took care of that" for those who repent and turn to Christ, not for those who mock God by proclaiming sin to be acceptable to Him. It is ultimately the Holy Spirit who convicts a sinner, but the church, meaning the community of believers comprising the body of Christ, certainly has a role to play, both in fulfilling the Great Commission and exemplifying God's love toward sinners. Your mistake is in equating "mindless tolerance of sin" with "fulfilling the Great Commission and exemplifying God's love." I have previously challenged the mindless purveyors of Christianity Lite to provide a meaningful definition of sin, salvation and atonement in the context of their "theology." They cannot do it because those core Christian doctrines are completely alien to their "theology."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity