Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2017, 03:54 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
What is contrary is what you were taught - as eternal punishment is nowhere to be found.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
It's not? Just open up your eyes and read.

Mark 9:43-48 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

Matthew 25:41-46 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Revelation 20:10-15 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever. And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the book s were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Just look at one of the most clear and compelling parables our Lord gave on this topic, it's not without a reason these parables and warnings are in the Bible. It is a place of conscious torment, from which there is no passing to heaven, no possible escape. You can shut your eyes and close your ears, but the warnings are serious enough for those that do not have their sins forgiven by the Lord Jesus Christ.

Luke 16:19-31 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day: And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores, And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores. And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented. And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence. Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house: For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment. Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

Jude 1:7-13 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire. Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities. Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee. But these speak evil of those things which they know not: but what they know naturally, as brute beasts, in those things they corrupt themselves. Woe unto them! for they have gone in the way of Cain, and ran greedily after the error of Balaam for reward, and perished in the gainsaying of Core. These are spots in your feasts of charity, when they feast with you, feeding themselves without fear: clouds they are without water, carried about of winds; trees whose fruit withereth, without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots; Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever.
The fire goes out, once it has served its purpose. It’s not a reference to that which is Eternal (aidios), having no beginning or end. The words endless torment (adialeipton timorion) or eternal imprisonment (aidios eirgmos) and eternal punishment (aidios kalasin) do not appear anywhere in the Greek New Testament, at least not in conjunction. Therefore, whoever says that there is an eternal (aidios) time set for punishment (kalasin) beyond this life is sadly mistaken. It's a limited duration of aionion (age-abiding) kalasin (chastisement or correction) which is in view; but the day and hour that it begins and ends is unpredictable. If it were eternal, then the word Aidios would have been used. But not even Jesus used the word for eternal in conjunction with any kind of punishment or life for that matter.

If anyone should open-up their eye of understanding, then you might consider doing that!
And you might want to study what the Lake of Fire is all about - it's not what you think.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 04:35 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
The fire goes out, once it has served its purpose. It’s not a reference to that which is Eternal (aidios), having no beginning or end. The words endless torment (adialeipton timorion) or eternal imprisonment (aidios eirgmos) and eternal punishment (aidios kalasin) do not appear anywhere in the Greek New Testament, at least not in conjunction. Therefore, whoever says that there is an eternal (aidios) time set for punishment (kalasin) beyond this life is sadly mistaken. It's a limited duration of aionion (age-abiding) kalasin (chastisement or correction) which is in view; but the day and hour that it begins and ends is unpredictable. If it were eternal, then the word Aidios would have been used. But not even Jesus used the word for eternal in conjunction with any kind of punishment or life for that matter.

If anyone should open-up their eye of understanding, then you might consider doing that!
And you might want to study what the Lake of Fire is all about - it's not what you think.

Is Heaven eternal?

Old 07-01-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I'm more interested in the manifestion of the word Jimmie( the word became flesh), in other words we saw what it was and represented n being, because Jimmie, that is the proof of the pudding, and in respect to the reality of God, Jesus Christ represented that in nature and character, that when you beheld him(not his outward appearance) You saw God. You reject this because of your love for all things that appear negative to you within the scriptures.
You're the one rejecting Jesus. You believe ~50% of what He said.

Old 07-01-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Misquoted or mistranslated yes. There are threads on this subject.
I question that because the prophets before Jesus and the apostles after Him taught these same words.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:12 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I question that because the prophets before Jesus and the apostles after Him taught these same words.
Jesus did not quote every prophet, nor did Jesus quote the entire OT...

Old 07-01-2017, 05:13 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
You're the one rejecting Jesus. You believe ~50% of what He said.
You believe the dubious 1% that does not reflect his nature and character of Jesus Christ, the 1% appeas to be 99% in the way you think and believe, It is very difficult to converse with you because you are in total denial(or ignorant) of what you actually believe . You pretend that hell had nothing to do with your conversion to bible fundamentalism, you also deny that it did not create fear in you, and your defence every time is the bible verses you have interpeted to be threats of hell.Psalm 16 is a wonderful Psalm, YOU, picked out the 1 verse in the Psalm that "seemingly" in your alienated mind from God that in your eyes supports your love of fear of God.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:15 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Is Heaven eternal?
Galileo used a telescope to observe the heavens - the sun, moon, stars, and planets.
Have they always existed, or are you asking about that which is not observable ...?

...having NO BEGINNING or END, as in his divine nature.

Because I am under the impression that you see heaven as a place out yonder!

And I do not believe you can measure that in human terms.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:21 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
[I]Galileo used a telescope to observe the heavens - [/i]the sun, moon, stars, and planets.
Have they always existed,
or are you asking about that which is not observable ...?

...having NO BEGINNING or END, as in his divine nature.

Because I am under the impression that you see heaven as a place out yonder!

Jerwade, this is so simple and obvious to not see it,you have to live in gross darkness. Step forward bible christanity this award for being in gross darkness goes to to you. Any outsider looking in would think it's fixed the amout of times bible christianity as won the gross darkness award.,

Old 07-01-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Jesus did not quote every prophet, nor did Jesus quote the entire OT...
What I meant was, the prophets and apostles echoed what Jesus said in Matt. 25.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You believe the dubious 1% that does not reflect his nature and character of Jesus Christ, the 1% appeas to be 99% in the way you think and believe, It is very difficult to converse with you because you are in total denial(or ignorant) of what you actually believe . You pretend that hell had nothing to do with your conversion to bible fundamentalism, you also deny that it did not create fear in you, and your defence every time is the bible verses you have interpeted to be threats of hell.Psalm 16 is a wonderful Psalm, YOU, picked out the 1 verse in the Psalm that "seemingly" in your alienated mind from God that in your eyes supports your love of fear of God.
I was a youngster when I was saved. Hell was not part of the discussion.

ETA: According to the TOS, you are not allowed to say who is or isn't a Christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity