Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2017, 09:08 AM

2,854 posts, read 2,051,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
As a poster said in one of these threads...they were the key
in some stories in Luke 15...like in the story of the Prodigal son and others.
Humility and Repentance...he said.
Now, don't get me wrong, I love humility, nothing wrong with remorse that I did something wrong
and say to myself, 'I won't do that again', thus, learning the lesson and moving on.
They are great things.

But, among the many stories and parables that Jesus told..I personally 'get' something different.
And, as a simple human being...someone I love...does not need humility or repentance
for me to love them or forgive them.
THIS is key:
If I am just 'me'....just think of the unconditional love God the Father has for us...

I say to you... your humility and repentance are great...but they are not 'the key'....
God's Love is...period.
At that is what I 'get' from Jesus' stories and parables...boundless love
with no logic or reason. ....open to it, realize it...that is what I 'get'.
Humility and repentance then are naturally present, taking a backseat...and become small
next to His Love....and opening to it like a child.
Repentance is the key to justification. But Sanctification goes beyond repentance.

Matthew 3:11

11 `I indeed do baptize you with water unto repentance, but he who after me is coming is mightier than I, of whom I am not worthy to bear the sandals, he shall baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire,

Old 07-24-2017, 09:14 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,038,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Oh yay! I love that someone brought forth the infamous dogs and swine passage. It's almost always thrown out as an insult, as in this case, so I don't love that. But, it allows me to post the link to a post in another thread which gives a much more gracious take on that passage, and one which I think you, pcamps, the intended target of the insult in this thread, will very much appreciate. The whole post is well worth reading, but here's the pertinent bit:

"(And, BTW, I'd say that the problem in Matthew 6 is not that dogs and swine are bad, per se, but your pearls are not their spiritual food. And their pearls are not your spiritual food. A cosmic spiritual food fight feeds no one, and leaves everyone in need of a good bath.)"

An Intellectual's Christian Narrative: A Non-Magical Alternative

(Where is Trout's wonderful swine peace sign emoji when you need it? )
ETA: I found it!

As a side note...
You know the problem with swine? They will eat ANYTHING unclean, the HUSK (flesh) and the grain (Spirit/pearls of wisdom). They don't have the gift of discerning of spirits, they will consume anything, they cut their nose (that which discerns what is still whole to eat) off to spite their face, in this case, HIS face, because face denotes nature. What face do you see when you look in the mirror of the Word?

And dogs are a metaphor for sodomites and gentiles. Spiritually speaking, a sodomite takes the Seed of life of the Spirit, and defiles it by planting it in a place where death/that which is cast off/out of the body, is ruling. In spiritual type, its as the men of Mars Hill, who only lived to hear some new thing like the philosophers they were, but they never let it get past their carnal mind and down into their heart to illicit any change. They planted the Seed in an unclean place, as well, because the carnal mind IS death, and death is unclean. They are like the hearer of the Word looking in the mirror, but they walk away and straight away and forget what manner of man they were (because it wasn't allowed to go down into the heart and change them). Peace

Old 07-24-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
Repentance is the key to justification. But Sanctification goes beyond repentance.

Matthew 3:11

11 `I indeed do baptize you with water unto repentance, but he who after me is coming is mightier than I, of whom I am not worthy to bear the sandals, he shall baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire,

AMEN Lord open the eyes of your people to see past the outer court, to see where you ARE, not where you've BEEN. Peace

Old 07-24-2017, 01:56 PM

63,774 posts, read 40,030,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Either you believe ALL of it, or you might as well throw the whole book in the trash. Peace
This is the "easy believism" path for those who refuse to study to show themselves approved by testing the spirit of everything that is claimed to be from God or Jesus, period. When you accept everything and test nothing, you accept irrationality and contradictions that cannot be reconciled. This happens when you do NOT know the characteristics of the Holy Spirit as described and demonstrated by Jesus.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is the "easy believism" path for those who refuse to study to show themselves approved by testing the spirit of everything that is claimed to be from God or Jesus, period. When you accept everything and test nothing, you accept irrationality and contradictions that cannot be reconciled. This happens when you do NOT know the characteristics of the Holy Spirit as described and demonstrated by Jesus.

No, easy believism is what you got going on. EVERY WORD OF THE WORD is tested IN US, through the HOLY GHOST, our Teacher. Deep calls unto deep. Peace

Old 07-24-2017, 03:23 PM

8,922 posts, read 4,626,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is the "easy believism" path for those who refuse to study to show themselves approved ...
But study what?
We study the Scriptures, what do you study?

Old 07-24-2017, 03:34 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,342,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
But study what?
Here comes that mouse, again, try searching your heart.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Here comes that mouse, again, try searching your heart.
Sorry. Don't have a mouse in my heart.
Got one on my desk though.

(Still haven't gotten used to not typing commands, though)

Old 07-24-2017, 03:50 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,270,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
But study what?
It's amazing what truth you can get out of studying the ant, the birds of the air and lilies of the field.

Old 07-24-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
It's amazing what truth you can get out of studying the ant, the birds of the air and lilies of the field.
You certainly can learn a lot from studying them.
I have put several evolutionists to shame by using those truths.

Do you study anything else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.