Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 10:26 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Actually, I think Rbbi has indirectly answered, by the bulk of the things she has shared about her own personal experiences and beliefs.

She believes that the characteristics of the fullness of Christ is two-fold:

1) believing the bible is the unadulterated, inerrant, infallible Word of God and being obedient to it's rules;
2) experiencing "miraculous" things, like speaking in tongues, "word of knowledge" type stuff, seeing and casting out demons, and physical healing.

What she does NOT seem to believe is that it's about growing in a spirit of love, even as it is described biblically in places like 1 Cor 13 and Galatians 5. At least, that's what I'm taking away from her posts thus far.
Well, before it gets closed, maybe I can get a word in.

I don't think number one is ever going to be a point of agreement, obviously.

The second thing isn't, in my mind, worth quibbling about.

I do wonder if it's possible to ever find common ground about the spirit of love with them?

Old 07-29-2017, 10:26 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Love is about actively loving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinv View Post
Those who act rightly love their neighbor like those who judge righteously love their God.
You have that backwards.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Oh, sorry, Pleroo
Well, it's the mod's call...they can judge it. I'm sure we will hear from them elsewhere!
No, no need to apologize. It does get to be same ol' same ol' so I understand where you're coming from.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:37 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Well, before it gets closed, maybe I can get a word in.

I don't think number one is ever going to be a point of agreement, obviously.

The second thing isn't, in my mind, worth quibbling about.

I do wonder if it's possible to ever find common ground about the spirit of love with them?
Pleroo, when someone supposedly becomes a christian, it's all about Jesus and how much you are loved, then before you know it, it's all about the bible, how it is inerrant, infallible and obeying commands set out by it, which as you know as well as i do never happens, because there is only one way to fullfill the command of God and that is to love your neighbor as yourself, which requires seeing the value of the person in the manner God does. Which is why "Namaste" is such a wonderful expression, an expression which to the fundamentalist is of the devil, because God is only in them by becoming a larder for bible verses. So in my opinion the spirit of love they were drawn by does not compare to the love they have for their bible beliefs.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
You are both dishonest and A coward.

To excuse your own words describing how you have been in worn torn countries leaves me to be a judge.

Do you understand?
I understand that you are not my judge, nor will you ever be.
And I highly doubt that you have walked in my shoes.

Perhaps, you can phone a friend and file a complaint?
And I will stand where I have always stood in Spirit and truth.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
It sounds like you are saying that people who do not speak in bible symbolism can have nothing constructive to say. But I'm hopeful that you don't think that God is incapable of communicating to others in other ways, just as you believe God communicates to you through bible symbols. I'm hopeful that you don't think that you all are the only people on earth who have anything worth saying. And I'm hopeful that you understand that communication with people outside of one's own group happens when we are willing to talk about the things we learn/believe in the common language that we share. It is possible, I agree, that there may not be much point in further communication if you guys aren't willing or able to do that. But, I'm still giving it my best shot, because we're all in this together, and different people bring different perspectives on our reality, and the Foundation of our reality, to the table.

So ,TRex, here's what I see as the issue that needs to be resolved in order for communication to continue. Rbbi and others in the bible symbolism group, seem unable to explain, in the common literal language we share, what the purpose is for learning your symbolic bible language. You are excited about finding connections and how this symbol relates to that symbol and that symbol relates to this symbol (and I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that), but you seem unable to explain how any of it relates to reality, or how finding these connections helps you to become the person you believe God intends for you to be, or what that even means to you. If you [general you] COULD explain these things in our common language, why wouldn't you? And if you can't, then just own that. As it stands, right now it comes across as you all trying to belittle others as being spiritually inferior to you, whether you intend that or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post

SERIOUSLY good attempt to show what communication should be about. Can't hurt to repeat it even if I have not read far enough yet to see whether it bore fruit...which I doubt
Quote:
I agree that they are not interested in communicating. So, is it fruitful to continue to try? I don't know, but for myself, I'm tending toward, "No."
There's no fruit on the tree, it withered a long time ago.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:53 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
MissH is right, this has gone a LONG way from OP. I think it has shone some light on the communication gap and the reasons for it, but I doubt there is anything to add.

Btw, the point that the origin of any change of direction is the beginning of love is excellent! Good OP.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Pleroo, when someone supposedly becomes a christian, it's all about Jesus and how much you are loved, then before you know it, it's all about the bible, how it is inerrant, infallible and obeying commands set out by it, which as you know as well as i do never happens, because there is only one way to fullfill the command of God and that is to love your neighbor as yourself, which requires seeing the value of the person in the manner God does. Which is why "Namaste" is such a wonderful expression, an expression which to the fundamentalist is of the devil, because God is only in them by becoming a larder for bible verses. So in my opinion the spirit of love they were drawn by does not compare to the love they have for their bible beliefs.
Yes, seeing others AND self the way God does. Both open the heart to love, and bring a great deal of healing.

Namaste, my friend.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Well, repenting for missing the mark?...and what is the mark?
God's love.
I know others may not agree; they may think obedience is the mark...or something else....
they may have a long list of things.
I say experiencing, opening to, responding to, feeling, accepting,
allowing, trusting in, relying upon, realizing GOD'S LOVE....that is the mark...Him, an intimate relationship
with Him personally.

Then, doing His will comes naturally...and what is His Will?...loving him and letting him love you.
another way to put it?...
Seek the Kingdom of God first and all else will fall into place.
And what is His kingdom?...love, more than can be imagined....not obedience, repentance and humility as the mark...they come naturally....
walking to the Throne boldly with knowledge of who you are and God... those other things are secondary
natural occurrences.

Jesus was often talking to idiots...Like parents saying to children, "Now Billy, say your sorry to Suzy...".(So, Jesus was not wrong in telling those that...)
To those that could get it, he said....'Seek the Kingdom first'...those were the smart ones
that had a clue...'Give me your burdens...you may ask me for anything...until now you have not asked'...and so on....to the ones that could hear that.

If humility and repentance are the main deal...well...you're still in the sandbox
having to say you're sorry to Suzy.*

There's milk when you're children and there's meat when you grow up.
Love is the whole meal.

I believe some people need to repent, as they have "missed the mark."

Old 07-29-2017, 11:18 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Folks, this one has pretty much run it's course....Hence, thread closed.

~June
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity