Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 06:13 PM

63,461 posts, read 39,726,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Sitting out on on my patio enjoying a nice white wine listening to Darlene Zschech "Shout to the Lord" on repeat t, after getting of the the phone with my beautiful Mum and Dad, back home in blighty. Then reading such a great response by you Mystic to Rbbi on this thread, i can't tell you how grateful that i am that you have this amazing ability to present the good news in the way you do.
Mystic was you ever caught up in bible fundamentalism like many of us on here ?.
Sounds idyllic. No, pcamps, I never had the misfortunate of believing any of the fundamentalist stuff (or any other religious nonsense). I was an atheist from early on in life. I tried Buddhist philosophy (not religion) which led me to meditation and my eventual epiphany in deep meditation that erased my atheism instantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 06:34 PM

37,336 posts, read 28,087,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Sounds idyllic. No, pcamps, I never had the misfortunate of believing any of the fundamentalist stuff (or any other religious nonsense). I was an atheist from early on in life. I tried Buddhist philosophy (not religion) which led me to meditation and my eventual epiphany in deep meditation that erased my atheism instantly.
I kind of remember your Buddhist days from things you have posted. I suppose there is still an element in me that thinks you cannot avoid the fundamentalism experience after you first believed. You and Jerwade are the only ones that come to mind that avoided the experience that i and pleroo(and i'm sure other forum members) put ourselves through.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:21 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,192,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I kind of remember your Buddhist days from things you have posted. I suppose there is still an element in me that thinks you cannot avoid the fundamentalism experience after you first believed. You and Jerwade are the only ones that come to mind that avoided the experience that i and pleroo (and i'm sure other forum members) put ourselves through.
If you want to learn spiritual things, you don't go to the book written by men.
You seek the Spirit in your "own life" and those whom you have come to trust.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:32 PM

9,588 posts, read 4,993,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
If you want to learn spiritual things, you don't go to the book written by men.
You seek the Spirit in your "own life" and those whom you have come to trust.

Because, of course, that's exactly what THE Spirit in Jesus said to do, right? Peace

Old 07-16-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Because, of course, that's exactly what THE Spirit in Jesus said to do, right? Peace
Does it bother you, that I trust not what you say?

Old 07-16-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Misunderstanding due to . . . wait for it . . . lack of knowledge or understanding (i.e. Ignorance) and a concept of God that was primitive and . . . wait for it . . . uncivilized (i.e., barbaric).

Ok, so Paul and the other writers of the NT were also as ignorant and barbaric as you claim the writers of the OT are (since I quoted NT scripture). That must extremely hard on you to keep trying to stand head and shoulders above the likes of them on your flimsy cardboard soapbox foundation. Peace

Old 07-16-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Does it bother you, that I trust not what you say?

Not at all. I just find it amusing at best that you "Jesus followers" don't seem to trust what HE says, unless it fits your man-made doctrine. Peace

Old 07-16-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Not at all. I just find it amusing at best that you "Jesus followers" don't seem to trust what HE says, unless it fits your man-made doctrine. Peace
I do not follow the doctrines of men, rather, I search the Spirit within.

Last edited by Jerwade; 07-16-2017 at 08:59 PM..

Old 07-16-2017, 10:17 PM

45,315 posts, read 26,834,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
if god so loved us, why was there a barrier?
Because God is who He is. That can't be changed. God is light and in Him there is no darkness in Him.

It would be horrific to be in His presence as a sinner. It was His grace to separate sinful humans from His presence (Gen 3:22).

Colossians 3:5-6 - Therefore consider the members of your earthly body as dead to immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed, which amounts to idolatry. For it is because of these things that the wrath of God will come upon the sons of disobedience,

Old 07-16-2017, 10:21 PM

45,315 posts, read 26,834,676 times
Quote:
Salvation is not a choice. Jesus saved us, period. There was no barrier. We failed to overcome our innate animal drives of survival driven by an indiscriminate pleasure and pain principle. If it was pleasurable we sought it and if it was painful we avoided it regardless of its impact on others. Jesus overcame those drives out of perfect agape love for us ALL, including His torturers and murderers because they knew not what they did. You misrepresent my beliefs when you say I do not believe His physical death and resurrection. The only part I reject is a physical resurrection. It is a spiritual resurrection in a spiritual body as described in 1 Cor 15 in some detail. The problem was our ancestors were terrified of Spirits so they needed the "carnal milk" of a physical resurrection.
LOL - at the bold.

Salvation is a choice. That's why we are commanded to preach the gospel. So that people can choose to believe in Christ and be saved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity