Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 10:40 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristotles child View Post
RESPONSE: Sure. There are many. Here's a simple one:

"Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the prophet, saying, And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of him that was valued, whom they of the children of Israel did value; And gave them for the potter's field, as the Lord appointed me." (Matthew 27:9-10,)

There is no such prophecy in Jeremiah!
But there IS a Jeremy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08PjqGc6SVo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 04:22 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
RESPONSE: Sure. There are many. Here's a simple one:

"Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the prophet, saying, And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of him that was valued, whom they of the children of Israel did value; And gave them for the potter's field, as the Lord appointed me." (Matthew 27:9-10,)

There is no such prophecy in Jeremiah!
This what the KJV says:

Zechariah 11

12 And I said unto them, If ye think good, give me my price; and if not, forbear. So they weighed for my price thirty pieces of silver. note

13 And the LORD said unto me, Cast it unto the potter: a goodly price that I was prised at of them. And I took the thirty pieces of silver, and cast them to the potter in the house of the LORD.

However, the Tanakh says this:

Zechariah - Chapter 11

12 And I said to them: "If it pleases you, give [Me] My hire, and if not, forbear." And they weighed out My hire: thirty pieces of silver.

Rashi's Commentary:

And I said: to the remaining kings of Judah.

“If it pleases you, give [Me] My hire…”: Fulfill My commandments, and that will be My payment for all the good that I have given you; as they give hire to a shepherd, I will return and tend you.

and if not, forbear: And I, too, will not do good for you. We find that the Holy One, blessed be He, said similarly to Ezekiel (3:27): “He that hears, let him hear, and he that forbears, let him forbear.”

And they weighed out My hire, thirty pieces of silver: Jonathan paraphrases: And they performed My will with a few men. There were a few good men among them, such as the craftsmen and the sentries, Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, Azariah, and Ezekiel. But I do not know how to explain the expression here of thirty pieces of silver exactly, except that כֶּסֶף is an expression of desire. Our Sages, too, explained it this way in Chullin (92a). They brought proof from (Prov. 7:20), “The bundle of the desirable ones He took in His hand.” The thirty they explained in the following manner: There are forty-five righteous men in every generation. They brought proof from (Hosea 3:2), “a חֹמֶר of barley and a לֶתֶ of barley” - fifteen righteous in Babylon and thirty in Eretz Israel. It is said: “And I took the thirty pieces of silver, and I cast them into the house of the Lord in Eretz Israel.” The number thirty is explained by the Midrash Aggadah (Cf. Gen. Rabbah 49:3, Pesikta d’Rav Kahana 88a), that our father Abraham was promised that no generation would have fewer than thirty righteous in men, the number of (Gen. 15:8): “So shall your seed be.” The word יִהְיֶה has the numerical value of thirty.

13 And the Lord said to me: Cast it to the keeper of the treasury, to the stronghold of glory-of which I stripped them. And I took the thirty pieces of silver, and I cast it into the house of the Lord, to the keeper of the treasury.

Rashi's Commentary:

And the Lord said to me: Cast it to the keeper of the treasury: like הָאוֹצֵר, the keeper of the treasury. Said the Holy One, blessed be He, to the prophet: Write, and leave over these and their righteousness to be preserved for the end of the seventy years of the Babylonian exile. The Temple shall be built by them. Now what is the treasury? [Cf. below]

the stronghold of glory: My Temple, the stronghold of My glory.

of which I stripped them: of which I stripped them so that they should no longer have glory. The expression יָקַרְתִּי means the removal of glory; the “mem” in מֵעֲלֵיהֶם proves it. It is like (Ps. 52:7), “and He shall uproot you from the land of the living” ; and like (Isa. 10: 33), “lops off the branches.” My explanation is similar to Jonathan’s translation. I have seen many variant versions of the explanation of this prophecy, but I cannot reconcile those with the text.

Keeper of the treasury, not the potter...

Old 07-30-2017, 05:50 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,995,542 times
[quote=thrillobyte;49000207]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo-50 View Post

You have to remember, jojo that neither Mark, Matthew nor Luke were at the cross when all this went down so how could any of them be reporting what they saw. They're getting this information 50 years later. By that time it was 1000'th-hand at best.
God inspired them exactly what to write. They got it first hand from Him so the time difference makes no difference.

Old 07-30-2017, 05:54 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,995,542 times
[quote=Meerkat2;49000346]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

I believe that there has been a blending of history, allegory, metaphors, prophecy in the New Testament just like in the Hebrew Scriptures. All scripture is inspired but it is not all literal history.

Have you ever watched any of bishop spong's videos, I have watched a few and have found them enlightening. I have always had a belief in God but I have always thought that the self centreredness of Christianity to be at odds with the words attributed to Jesus. Christianity seems to think that the whole point of the universe was to get some humans into heaven and I don't buy that.
spong is a joke as a theologian. He was with a group that decided only 18% of what is attributed to Jesus saying, He actually said.That group, The Jesus seminar, had to vote on what was true. To vote on what is true is absurd an indicated they could only use the personal opinion, not any evidence.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:01 AM

692 posts, read 375,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
This what the KJV says:

Zechariah 11

12 And I said unto them, If ye think good, give me my price; and if not, forbear. So they weighed for my price thirty pieces of silver. note

13 And the LORD said unto me, Cast it unto the potter: a goodly price that I was prised at of them. And I took the thirty pieces of silver, and cast them to the potter in the house of the LORD.

However, the Tanakh says this:

Zechariah - Chapter 11

12 And I said to them: "If it pleases you, give [Me] My hire, and if not, forbear." And they weighed out My hire: thirty pieces of silver.

Rashi's Commentary:

And I said: to the remaining kings of Judah.

“If it pleases you, give [Me] My hire…â€: Fulfill My commandments, and that will be My payment for all the good that I have given you; as they give hire to a shepherd, I will return and tend you.

and if not, forbear: And I, too, will not do good for you. We find that the Holy One, blessed be He, said similarly to Ezekiel (3:27): “He that hears, let him hear, and he that forbears, let him forbear.â€

And they weighed out My hire, thirty pieces of silver: Jonathan paraphrases: And they performed My will with a few men. There were a few good men among them, such as the craftsmen and the sentries, Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, Azariah, and Ezekiel. But I do not know how to explain the expression here of thirty pieces of silver exactly, except that כֶּסֶף is an expression of desire. Our Sages, too, explained it this way in Chullin (92a). They brought proof from (Prov. 7:20), “The bundle of the desirable ones He took in His hand.†The thirty they explained in the following manner: There are forty-five righteous men in every generation. They brought proof from (Hosea 3:2), “a חֹמֶר of barley and a לֶתֶ of barley†- fifteen righteous in Babylon and thirty in Eretz Israel. It is said: “And I took the thirty pieces of silver, and I cast them into the house of the Lord in Eretz Israel.†The number thirty is explained by the Midrash Aggadah (Cf. Gen. Rabbah 49:3, Pesikta d’Rav Kahana 88a), that our father Abraham was promised that no generation would have fewer than thirty righteous in men, the number of (Gen. 15:8): “So shall your seed be.†The word יִהְיֶה has the numerical value of thirty.

13 And the Lord said to me: Cast it to the keeper of the treasury, to the stronghold of glory-of which I stripped them. And I took the thirty pieces of silver, and I cast it into the house of the Lord, to the keeper of the treasury.

Rashi's Commentary:

And the Lord said to me: Cast it to the keeper of the treasury: like הָאוֹצֵר, the keeper of the treasury. Said the Holy One, blessed be He, to the prophet: Write, and leave over these and their righteousness to be preserved for the end of the seventy years of the Babylonian exile. The Temple shall be built by them. Now what is the treasury? [Cf. below]

the stronghold of glory: My Temple, the stronghold of My glory.

of which I stripped them: of which I stripped them so that they should no longer have glory. The expression יָקַרְתִּי means the removal of glory; the “mem†in מֵעֲלֵיהֶם proves it. It is like (Ps. 52:7), “and He shall uproot you from the land of the living†; and like (Isa. 10: 33), “lops off the branches.†My explanation is similar to Jonathan’s translation. I have seen many variant versions of the explanation of this prophecy, but I cannot reconcile those with the text.

Keeper of the treasury, not the potter...
RESPONSE:

Please note that this is from Zachariah NOT JERIMIAH.

Please note this is a wage dispute and has NOTHING TO DO WITH A BETRAYAL.

Thus "inspired Matthew" is clearly in error.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:06 AM

[quote=omega2xx;49012639]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post

spong is a joke as a theologian. He was with a group that decided only 18% of what is attributed to Jesus saying, He actually said.That group, The Jesus seminar, had to vote on what was true. To vote on what is true is absurd an indicated they could only use the personal opinion, not any evidence.
RESPONSE:

Perhaps that was because there is no real evidence. Just conflicting reports written 40 to 60 years after the death of Christ by non-witnesses in an effort to make converts.

Did you hear the story of Washington chopping down the cherry tree? Same historical accuracy as the Gospels.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:08 AM

[quote=omega2xx;49012625]
Quote:

God inspired them exactly what to write. They got it first hand from Him so the time difference makes no difference.
RESPONSE: If God "inspired them" why do the Gospels contain so many errors and contradictions?

Old 07-30-2017, 06:23 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
RESPONSE:

Please note that this is from Zachariah NOT JERIMIAH.

Please note this is a wage dispute and has NOTHING TO DO WITH A BETRAYAL.

Thus "inspired Matthew" is clearly in error.
Dude!...I am agreeing with you...The point that I was making is that the Christian translators decided to change the word "treasurer" to "potter" in order to support their NT...I know it is not from Jeremiah...

Old 07-30-2017, 08:12 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,044,653 times
Quote:

Hilarious.

Old 07-30-2017, 03:04 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Hilarious.
My autistic granddaughter uses fidget spinners for therapeutic reasons.
But I am sure that the asinine, so called normal people will band them.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity