Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2017, 10:53 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,803,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
You judge according to the flesh: I judge not any man. - Jesus

Sure, I took it out of context...but it stands alone in MY book.
What do the fear-based Bible thumpers say to this?

Can you picture Jesus saying this? Because...wow.
One of my all time favorites.
Torah, i.e. law.

So, parables, cloud,?

“Yes,” they replied.

52 He said to them, “Therefore every teacher of the law who has become a disciple in the kingdom of heaven is like the owner of a house who brings out of his storeroom new treasures as well as old.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 11:17 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
https://bible.org/seriespage/25-para...ils-luke-84-21

I enjoyed the excerpt, "Cloud"?

In other words, Jesus is encouraging His audience to listen and to heed His teaching, while He is also telling His disciples that the parables He uses are designed to “cloud” the truth, rather than to clarify it, to conceal the truth, rather than to reveal it.
Perhaps you didn't read all the article you quoted?

Quote:
The parable of the soils which Jesus told forces us to think in terms of more than just two categories. It is not enough to have merely escaped hell, and to have our foot wedged in the doorway of heaven. The goal for which we are saved is to persevere, to grow, to reach maturity, and to produce more fruit. To fall short of this goal (even though we may have been saved), is to fail to attain that for which we were called and set apart.

The kind of Christian which pleases the heart of God is not one which makes a dramatic start and then dies out, nor one whose commitment to Christ is slowly choked out by worldly desires. The kind of Christian which pleases God is that one which thoughtfully hears the gospel, understands its implications, and then consistently grows and matures, and which bears fruit as a result.
https://bible.org/seriespage/25-para...ils-luke-84-21

The growth part is why I went from being saved, to rejecting fundamentalism, to understanding that ALL Scripture must be interpreted in light of the Love of God as displayed in the words and deeds of Jesus.

It's those who remain the same for decades that have no growth, no depth, and no fruit.

P.S. I'm still growing as I read more, learn from other Christians, study Scripture scholastically, and keep soul-searching to root out those things that hide in the darkness of my heart. It's people who say they don't have dark secrets that have no credibility in the spiritual world.

A great Chinese Christian, Watchman Nee, wrote this and many other paradoxically uplifting and humbling songs. He spent the last 20 years of his life in prison for being a Christian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c68v9taFne4

Let me love and not be requited.
Let me serve and not be rewarded.
Let me labor and not be remembered.
Let me suffer and not be regarded.

Let me pour wine, while I drink not.
Let me break bread, while I keep not,
Pour my life out that others be blessèd,
Be in suff’ring that they be contented.

None to pity me or care for me,
None to praise me or to console me.
I would rather be desolate, wretched,
Lonely, friendless, and wrongly treated.

With my blood and tears pay the price to gain the crown,
Suffer loss that I might a pilgrim’s life live out,
For, Lord, this is how You lived Your life
when You walked on this earthly sphere,
Gladly bore all loss that those who drew near
Could be freed from all suffering and fear.

I know not how far the future lies ahead.
On this path of no retreating I am led.
So, Lord, let me now learn from Your perfect pattern,
Suff’ring wrong, no resentment in return.

May You in this difficult, tedious day,
All my tears shed in secret wipe away;
Learning You are my only solacement,
And let my life for others’ joy be spent.
----------------
Immediately I started putting right the matters that were hindering my effectiveness, and also made a list of seventy friends to pray for daily. Some days I would pray for them every hour, even in class. When the opportunity came I would try to persuade them to believe in the Lord Jesus... With the Lord's grace I continued to pray daily, and after several months all but one of the seventy persons were saved.
— Watchman Nee, Watchman Nee's Testimony.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 08-22-2017 at 11:33 PM..

Old 08-22-2017, 11:38 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,039,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
One of my all time favorites.
Torah, i.e. law.

So, parables, cloud,?

“Yes,” they replied.

52 He said to them, “Therefore every teacher of the law who has become a disciple in the kingdom of heaven is like the owner of a house who brings out of his storeroom new treasures as well as old.”

Isn't it interesting that He said every teacher of the LAW who has become a disciple, brings out OLD treasures as well? Peace

Old 08-22-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Isn't it interesting that He said every teacher of the LAW who has become a disciple, brings out OLD treasures as well? Peace
Amen.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
36Then he left the crowd and went into the house. His disciples came to him and said, “Explain to us the parable of the weeds in the field.”

37He answered, “The one who sowed the good seed is the Son of Man. 38The field is the world, and the good seed stands for the people of the kingdom. The weeds are the people of the evil one, 39and the enemy who sows them is the devil. The harvest is the end of the age, and the harvesters are angels.
Keys to the poor in spirit.

So the Field of the world the Lord Loves.

When you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not fully reap the corner of your field, nor shall you gather the gleanings of your harvest.

Now then I was wondering. If there are twelve tribes arranged. A third?

Old 08-23-2017, 12:53 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
As a general thing it is good for any kind of teacher to actually READ the material before expounding on it. Otherwise it seems one is only blowing smoke...again.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
As a general thing it is good for any kind of teacher to actually READ the material before expounding on it. Otherwise it seems one is only blowing smoke...again.
How many tribes are there?

hmmm 444

Would you like to tell us about the bread and the Body of his?

Take your time and let his Grace explain it to you.

Last edited by pinacled; 08-23-2017 at 02:36 PM..

Old 08-23-2017, 02:20 PM

Old 08-23-2017, 03:05 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
I find Jesus alone taught us at Matthew 24:13 to endure to the end in order to be saved ( delivered / rescued - Rev. 7:14)
Those that will be saved are those that will persevere, yes. But no, perseverance does not earn salvation. Jesus accomplished that when he cried out Tetelestai on the cross.
Quote:

To me that means endure faithful to either the end of one's life, or endure faithful to the coming time of Matthew 25:31-33,37. Yes, salvation by God's undeserving grace, and faith without works ( spiritual works - Matthew 24:14; 28:18-20) is dead according to James 2:26,19.
As you said, salvation is by faith alone. Martin Luther pointed out that it was faith alone, but not faith that IS alone. True, saving faith results in works.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:06 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
There is nothing in the law that says one shall suffer infinitely for a finite crime. If there is - cough it up and I will surely respond to it? Eternal damnation is a fallacy, and I do not believe in the "get out of jail" free card, either. Furthermore, I have never made a pretense of being a fundamentalist (ever), nor would I. And believing in the Bible doesn't make you Christlike, either. Especially, when you operate outside of the Spirit of the law which isn't even remotely close to any form of justice. At best, it would be "cruel and unusual" punishment.
Whether or not we wish to discuss eternal hell or not is not the point. If your "gospel" is to love one another you might as well be a Jew living under the Law, because that's a summary of the Law.

I'm glad Jesus did it for me because none of us can perfectly do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity