Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2017, 07:53 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
You mean the entity that created people as sinners is now going
to punish them for the way He created them. That's a game for sure.
I hope geekiegirl reads this. Did I spell her name right? rhetorical...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 07:56 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,603,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
Right but I have put on the full armor of God so I will be safe.
It's not made of iron is it? That gods kryptonite.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:04 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,385,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
A God powerful enough to have 40 writers over 1,400 years write the cohesive work we see today was certainly powerful enough to keep His book the way HE wanted it. It works, it's accurate, it inspires, its powerful, its prophecies are 100% true, its unique in all the books of the world there is nothing else like it. I would say God did pretty good............
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
But I guess He was not powerful enough to keep the originals, just the copies of the copies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
I guess we must assume you could do a better job?
Well here is the point you are missing. If the bible was so important to God then He most assuredly could have preserved the original. However He did not and that should tell you something, think about it.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
But its not like it was a single book from the get go, there was a whole mess of how some things got included and some didn't. Plus gospels being found left right and center which weren't included after it came together.
As for the word "Bible" it comes from a Greek word meaning "the books" - reflecting that the old testament (the Hebrew bible) was a collection of different books (and how which of those got in and which were left out is a whole 'nother story).
The new testament didn't even really come together completely until 300-400 years after Christ died - and there was clearly a lot of back and forthing about what would and what would not be included - and some of those not included have been found by archaeologists (and serendipity) in the last 80 years.
I KNOW right...what a mess to know what to include and why.
I know some will say, 'the Holy Spirit was guiding them'...boy, that takes a lot of faith
considering men's intentions and the power of the ego to block God...and follow your own motives...
even if good intentioned motives!

And it isn't even 'errors' per se...it is incomplete sentences or stories...or stories with a leaning
to their own interpretation.
Sorry to those that adore every word in the Bible...that is what I think...you can keep your belief,
this isn't some mean-spirited attack...from me anyway.

Don't get me started on the Nicene Counsel!

Old 08-07-2017, 08:14 AM

22,161 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
How?
I mean how could it be?
Oh, if it only were inerrant...how nice that would be.
And I'm not some Bible hater, either...it's just, that's the way it is...men and their edits.

One only has to see how men in power changed it by going to Psalm 46, KJV only.
Count down 46 words, then count up 46 words coming to shakes and spear...
Our good ole King James' homage to W. Shakespeare who was 46.

And no need to make me out as some villain...or a scholar either that can prove all
the changes...there are books galore about shifty reasons why 'those in power'
deleted some things.
And I'm not happy about it.
Doesn't mean I'm attacking those that love it...I mainly disagree with some
interpretations some have, that's all.

And if you get angry at me...sorry...I am unemotional about this...it would be nice if it were
never tampered with!
You are emotional about this otherwise you wouldn't have created the thread

Old 08-07-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
There are people who strike one as true Bible haters as in people who just love to hate because they have nothing upbuilding to offer as an alternative and others who are more sincere about questioning the Bible. I'd like to think of the OP as being in the latter category.
No one here is a bible hater. We just see the bible more as a road map that lead to Christ and not as the infallible, inerrant word of God.

Quote:
Some question whether the Bible we have today is substantially similar to the earliest copies due to attempts to alter scriptures to support a doctrine. An example is 1 John 5:7. In the KJV it appears to support the Trinity. However, most scholars agree today that the scripture, as it appears in the KJV, was altered since ancient manuscripts in the Syriac, Coptic, Armenian, Ethiopic, Arabic, Slavonic languages do not render that passage as it appears in the KJV. Thus the translation committees for various other Bible translations have rendered that passage as it appears in the ancient texts.

Another example of man's edits is deleting the name of God although it appears nearly 7,000 times in the earliest copies of the Bible. The result? Most people including many Christians don't recognize the name of God. Some even mock the name, Jehovah, that has been a transliterated rendering of YHWH to English for centuries. However, editorial teams have made corrections as in the Divine Name King James Bible.
So are you saying for the last 4 thousand years we did not have the infallible, inerrant word of God but we do today?

Quote:
The discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls was remarkable. A remarkable find in that Bible scholars could finally compare what appeared in the Hebrew Masoretic texts to what had been written more than 1000 years earlier. The result? It was found that the Jewish copyists have been extremely faithful and careful. It's important to remember that the early copyists had a way different mindset than people today. They genuinely believed that they had in their hands God's Word and not just some book of fiction...think about it...try to put yourself back then in that frame of mind and you too would be very careful about what you were copying.
This is clearly wrong.

Here are a couple of examples from the dead sea scrolls.

Psalm 145 is an acrostic poem. That means that each line of the Psalm starts with a successive letter of the Hebrew alphabet. Yet in the Karaites/Masoretic Text this does not happen, one verse (or line) is completely missing.
That verse which has been deleted reads
"God is faithful in all of his words, and pious in all of his deeds; blessed is the Lord and blessed is his name, forever, and ever."
Now because the Karaites/Masoretic Text has deleted this scripture all translations made on the Karaites/Masoretic Text do not have this scripture either, which includes the KJV of the bible.
So how can those bible translated from the Karaites/Masoretic Text be the undefiled Word of God if one whole verse is missing from it?
But how do we know that this verse
"God is faithful in all of his words, and pious in all of his deeds; blessed is the Lord and blessed is his name, forever, and ever."
Has really been deleted from the scriptures of the Karaites/Masoretic Text?
We know because of the discovery of the dead sea scrolls which has this verse
In it. Thus making complete the acrostic poem.

Here is another example

I have read 16 different translations of Deuteronomy 8:6 which reads
"And you shall keep the commandments of the Lord your God, by walking in his ways and by fearing him."
And every one of them (the 16 translations) is in ERROR.
According to the dead sea scrolls Deuteronomy 8:6 should read
"And you shall keep the commandments of the Lord your God, by walking in his ways and by loving him"
To quote another
These variants refer to two powerful but different emotions—fear and love. The variants also set forth a difference in how one understands Old Testament doctrines; in particular, the variants introduce the question of whether one should keep the commandments through fear or through love. The reading of love also provides us with an important view of the God of the Old Testament, who is sometimes portrayed as a strict Deity when compared with Jesus Christ and his teachings of love in the New Testament.
Can any still believe the bibles today are the undefiled WORD OF GOD?

Quote:
The Chester Beatty Library in Dublin, Ireland contains a collection of papyri representing nearly every book of the New Testament or Greek Scriptures with the oldest copies from a time of about 100 years since the Bible was completed. Note what the Anchor Bible Dictionary says, "Although the Papyri supply a wealth of new information on textual detail, they also demonstrate remarkable stability in the transmission history of the biblical text.â€

Rather than there being a corruption of the Bible through the ages the age and amount of manuscripts that exist have helped scholars determine that what we have is substantially sound and accurately transmitted even to the extent that errant scriptures such as the above can be identified as errant.
That is all fine and dandy, but just what were they copying? Was it just scripture or was it their interpretation of the scriptures?

According to the Jews themselves what they wrote was their interpretation of scripture.

According to the Jewish study Bible pages*1835*& 1838

The Jews interpreted scripture by using scripture, thus they turned the scripture over and over to find new truths from examining the scriptures and reordering the old scriptures. Thus when they came upon problem scriptures they would translate those scripture according to thier own interpretation and took sides in theological and legal contraversies, expaned the narritive and legal material all the while purporting to merely convey the meaning of the text they translated.

Thus in ancient times it was the responsiblity of the translator not to only translate the text, but to render it comprehensible to those who could not read the sacred writting themselves. Thus many of their interpretation of the scripture became a part of the scriptures

Thus we can see clearly that man has tampered with the scriptures.

Quote:
A good reminder of the importance for Christians to have faith that I came across recently and have overlooked somehow in previous Bible reading (showing why its important to read the Bible from start to finish even if one has already done so because you pick up on things that were previously missed) Luke 18:1-8. We know that in the latter part of the days there will be skeptics with their ridicule or "facts" or "reasoned skepticism" so much so that our faith may be shaken and Jesus foresaw this...in Luke 1:8, "Nevertheless, when the Son of man arrives, will he really find this faith on the earth?â€
Faith in what though? the bible or Jesus Christ. I will put my trust in Jesus thanks.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
How do you know there are any errors in the Bible? Can you post 2 or 3?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Somebody posted a link to a web site listing 300 errors/contradictions in the Bible for you a couple of weeks ago, but you ignored it. Why would you expect somebody to do the same thing again?
Seems to me you got your request in spades but failed to address them.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
You are emotional about this otherwise you wouldn't have created the thread
I wasn't even emotional when you said that, using the 'no-no you sentence'..hahahah
I become puzzled by many things as a practicing observer for years...saves me from those emotion ups and downs.
When something does get a rise outta me by surprise...it doesn't last long because again...
it puzzles me and I handle the 'why' of it. Then, practice EFT about it.
Sorry, guys you can google that if you wish. Don't usually use abbreviations. Starts with ''Emotion...something...something..''.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:11 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,490,212 times
Quote:
Somebody posted a link to a web site listing 300 errors/contradictions in the Bible for you a couple of weeks ago, but you ignored it. Why would you expect somebody to do the same thing again?
Oh, so the issue is now of ignorance. Ok
Explain why people like Mike555 |Finn |Vizio do so, people ignore them while expecting the same thing again ... and you don't find it necessary to point that out?

Now I know certain people are drooling for the chance to "gotcha you Bible worshiping fundy", so go ahead and refer to reply post where it's being asked the same of a non-fundy, I like to read the answer.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:32 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,994,716 times
Quote:
I ignored it because the ones I have checked in the past didn't know the Bible well enough to know what a contradiction was.

I expect a list of Bible verses that contradict each other.

If you or he wants to cut and paste some, I will respond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity