Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2017, 11:29 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Did you notice in your translation here, the words "well informed"? The weak brother is the one who is NOT well informed, doesn't know not to eat meat sacrificed to idols. Which is why Paul said above not to eat it, because if a weak one sees you eating it, they will think it's ok, and sin against Christ. Peace
No, Rbbi1, the weak brother is the one who does not get that meat offered to idols is meaningless. Try reading without your bias. See what it means, not what you WANT it to mean.

"Some people are still so accustomed to idols that they eat such food as if it were sacrificed to an idol. And since their conscience is weak, it is defiled. 8But food does not bring us closer to God: We are no worse if we do not eat, and no better if we do."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 11:42 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,043,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
No, Rbbi1, the weak brother is the one who does not get that meat offered to idols is meaningless. Try reading without your bias. See what it means, not what you WANT it to mean.

"Some people are still so accustomed to idols that they eat such food as if it were sacrificed to an idol. And since their conscience is weak, it is defiled. 8But food does not bring us closer to God: We are no worse if we do not eat, and no better if we do."

Try reading what it actually says....

1Co 8:11 - And through thy knowledge shall the WEAK BROTHER perish, for whom Christ died?

By which, then these make sense....

Act 15:20 - But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

Act 15:29 - That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

Act 21:25 - As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:22 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Try reading what it actually says....

1Co 8:11 - And through thy knowledge shall the WEAK BROTHER perish, for whom Christ died?

By which, then these make sense....

Act 15:20 - But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

Act 15:29 - That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

Act 21:25 - As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication.
From the context, Paul is saying that he would NOT eat the meat even though there is nothing wrong with it if it caused the one who does not understand that to falter. The scenario here is that someong with a weak conscience says, "Paul! Don't you know you are participating in idol worship!" So Paul stops what he is doing at least long enough to explain to the "weaker brother" why his idea on the subject is wrong. Something that needed to be done for the Ebionites who got those ineffective ideas put into that letter.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:34 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,388,135 times
Quote:
Saying something is an allegory, STILL doesn't mean it didn't really happen, exactly as told.

Yes, land G-d had given by promise to someone else. The Canaanites were not going to go along with the plan, obviously. Killing is different than murder. G-d can kill all day long and there is no sin to be found in it, try as you might. For the simple reason that 1) He is G-d and do with His creation as He pleases, and 2) He can also raise them up, as all are alive unto Him.

That's exactly the G-d Jesus revealed to you when He prophesied the coming destruction of the Temple and 1.5 million deaths (speaking ONLY what He heard His Father speak). You just don't want to take off your rose colored glasses. The same G-d that destroyed the Egyptian's first born, and then the army in the waters of the sea. Peace

It is no wonder people are leaving the churches in droves if this is the crap they are told about God.

Thou shalt not kill. The word does not just mean murder, it is talking about any kind of killing. You should know this as you say you can read Hebrew.

And even if it did just mean murder, what do you call taking babies and bashing their heads in with a rock?

So God promises land to his people and because God makes this promise He is justified in killing all the Canaanites who the land actually belonged to. By that reasoning Hitler was justified in trying to take over the world.

I don't know what else to say rbbi your post is just horrible to any person with an ounce of morals.

And prophesying the destruction of the temple does not equate with God being the one who was responsible for the destruction.

My brother, about 15 years before the wall came down in Germany told me that it would happen, so by your reasoning my brother was responsible for the wall coming down.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:48 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,043,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
It is no wonder people are leaving the churches in droves if this is the crap they are told about God.

Thou shalt not kill. The word does not just mean murder, it is talking about any kind of killing. You should know this as you say you can read Hebrew.

And even if it did just mean murder, what do you call taking babies and bashing their heads in with a rock?

So God promises land to his people and because God makes this promise He is justified in killing all the Canaanites who the land actually belonged to. By that reasoning Hitler was justified in trying to take over the world.

I don't know what else to say rbbi your post is just horrible to any person with an ounce of morals.

And prophesying the destruction of the temple does not equate with God being the one who was responsible for the destruction.

My brother, about 15 years before the wall came down in Germany told me that it would happen, so by your reasoning my brother was responsible for the wall coming down.

No, it's NOT. That there is a difference should be apparent by the laws He established and the sanctuary cities.

G-d told me too about 10 years before it fell it was going to come down, approximately, and I sure didn't think it was from me doing it. G-d's Spirit brought it about. It was PROPHESY, and since the Spirit comes to perform the Word.... Jesus spoke what He heard the Father speak. The Father is the one who said it (pertaining to Jerusalem destruction) and performed it, by His Spirit. All it takes is His hand, either extended or withdrawn.

Tell me: since He didn't spare His son Israel going into captivity/judgment, nor His son from being a sacrifice, nor His temple and Jerusalem His city, WHY do you think the flesh men hang onto will be different?

Hitler wasn't G-d, he was a man. G-d is the Creator of man and can and will do His own bidding by His own counsel, and doesn't need you or anyone else to correct Him, as if their idea of morals somehow is superior. Peace

http://thetorah.com/does-the-torah-d...r-and-killing/

Last edited by Rbbi1; 08-28-2017 at 11:00 PM..

Old 08-28-2017, 11:12 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
Love is the opener as well as the closer of eyes
George MacDonald

Quote:
George MacDonald (10 December 1824 – 18 September 1905) was a Scottish author, poet, and Christian minister. He was a pioneering figure in the field of fantasy literature and the mentor of fellow writer Lewis Carroll. His writings have been cited as a major literary influence by many notable authors including W. H. Auden, C. S. Lewis, J. R. R. Tolkien,[1] Walter de la Mare,[2] E. Nesbit and Madeleine L'Engle.[1] C. S. Lewis wrote that he regarded MacDonald as his "master": "Picking up a copy of Phantastes one day at a train-station bookstall, I began to read. A few hours later," said Lewis, "I knew that I had crossed a great frontier." G. K. Chesterton cited The Princess and the Goblin as a book that had "made a difference to my whole existence"

Even Mark Twain, who initially disliked MacDonald, became friends with him, and there is some evidence that Twain was influenced by MacDonald.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_MacDonald

When one's life is steeped in love, even atheists like Mark Twain can see God!

It's not the "word" from the Book, but the Word in one's heart that makes the difference.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:09 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Love is the opener as well as the closer of eyes
George MacDonald
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_MacDonald
When one's life is steeped in love, even atheists like Mark Twain can see God!
It's not the "word" from the Book, but the Word in one's heart that makes the difference.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:12 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
G-d told me too about 10 years before it fell it was going to come down, approximately, and I sure didn't think it was from me doing it.
You said, you knew shortly before it happened, now you say 10 years?
I know you have a selective memory, but try to get your stories straight.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:23 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Nice quote.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:02 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,388,135 times
Quote:
No, it's NOT. That there is a difference should be apparent by the laws He established and the sanctuary cities.

G-d told me too about 10 years before it fell it was going to come down, approximately, and I sure didn't think it was from me doing it. G-d's Spirit brought it about. It was PROPHESY, and since the Spirit comes to perform the Word.... Jesus spoke what He heard the Father speak. The Father is the one who said it (pertaining to Jerusalem destruction) and performed it, by His Spirit. All it takes is His hand, either extended or withdrawn.

Tell me: since He didn't spare His son Israel going into captivity/judgment, nor His son from being a sacrifice, nor His temple and Jerusalem His city, WHY do you think the flesh men hang onto will be different?

Hitler wasn't G-d, he was a man. G-d is the Creator of man and can and will do His own bidding by His own counsel, and doesn't need you or anyone else to correct Him, as if their idea of morals somehow is superior. Peace

Does the Torah Differentiate between Murder and Killing? - TheTorah.com
Lol did you even read the link you supplied?

It backs up what I said. The Hebrew word is used in scripture for both unintentional killing and murder, thus it is speaking of any kind of killing and not just murder.

Even the last sentence of the guy who wrote the article says as much.

Alternatively, we could say with Blidstein, that the lack of clarity of the root רצח is meant to teach us to abhor all killing of human beings.

That said what you say God did literally would be called premeditated murder. For according to you God had it all planned out.

Thus you are accusing God of breaking his own commandment which is sin, thus you are accusing God of sinning.

And NO just because He is God does not mean He can do anything He wants with His creation. A king has to live by his own rules if he wants his subject to live by them.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity