Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 10:02 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Cant we love. care, be generous, helpful, sympathetic etc without faith... as in religious... we dont need to be taught or corrupted into being good surely.. if its in us then we will always be that person without outdoor help.
Of course...but this thread wasn't about that... was about sharing examples of how we express faith.
Another thread on your topic would be great.

Many posts are way off topic...

Again...anyone want to share how they demonstrate their simple, everyday faith to themselves or God?
Inside or externally?

Come on you must have 100 stories!!

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 08-25-2017 at 10:54 AM..

Old 08-25-2017, 11:29 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Miss Hep, one of the most significant demonstrations of faith for me was when I came to believe (really believe) that God was love, and then was able to trust that no matter what questions I asked about God, the bible, my religious beliefs, etc. and no matter what the answers were, God would never stop loving me, and would always continue to draw me closer.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:33 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Back to you, Miss Hepburn.

I would like to give you an actual response.

Over the past few years I participated in a theological study group put out by an Episcopal seminary for the laity. It was reading and then meeting for discussion. The aim was for the lay Christian to deepen their understanding and also to sort of identify where one's own spiritual focus might fall.

The first year was a study of the OT, the second a study of the NT, the third a study of the history of Christianity, and the fourth year was a series of books on different facets of theology.

Two areas resound with me. The first was already there and has been growing in me since somebody flew an airliner into the building I was in 16 years ago. It made me acutely aware of humanity's tendency to keep dividing ourselves in opposing sides. I have spoken and I have written about becoming aware of this tendency so as to remind ourselves to stop focusing on our differences and instead look for what we have in common as human beings.

The other is more recent. One of the books we read was Care for Creation, which is what they termed Franciscan Theology based on the biography of the life of Francis of Assisi. While I've long been one to rah-rah for the environment, especially living in a place where humans have long done damage to it, this book gave me a different outlook. It made me aware that too often Christians (and probably others, but I'm going by my experience growing up in a Christian tradition) separate ourselves from creation. There is the creation, and then there we are, the human beings. No. We are part of that creation, part of the planet and all its features and inhabitants. I think some of that was always in me, which is why I pick up rocks everywhere I go that seem to speak to me and take them home. (It is NOT stealing. All the rocks belong to God. I am just relocating them. )

So, the short answer from that, Miss Hep, is that I am demonstrating my faith by becoming more aware of how I move within this creation and interact with the other parts of it that I encounter. It's been eye-opening, and I receive gifts from time to time, seeing or hearing or feeling things that I might not otherwise have seen or heard or felt had I not opened my eyes.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:05 PM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Miss Hep, one of the most significant demonstrations of faith for me was when I came to believe (really believe) that God was love, and then was able to trust that no matter what questions I asked about God, the bible, my religious beliefs, etc. and no matter what the answers were, God would never stop loving me, and would always continue to draw me closer.
Me too.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:52 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,038,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The children are living proof that sometimes deceases or illnesses go into remission, but often times they do not; and, although I believe faith is good for the soul, it is not an end all to our circumstances. I was informed that I only had twenty years to live at most from a liver decease. Which was 38 years ago, as there was no cure. However, my immune system fought it, until recently. Now, they have the cure and it has eradicated the virus in under - 12 weeks. I also had several herniated discs, through exercise and minor surgery - they have been repaired. If you believe everything is predicated on your sin, and an evil spirit - and judgment has been inflicted upon you - fantastic! Personally, I see that as a bunch of crap from a religious mindset which has nothing to do with reality. I don't need your so called, "pure motives" and can surely speak for myself without mixing in a dump truck of nonsensical sand on which to build my house. And I have never played the blame game, whether it be that of it's "the woman you gave me" or "the devil made me do it."

That's great. So be it according to your faith. Man can heal some things, that's true, but he can't do a thing about the spiritual root of it, that still stays until removed by the hand of G-d. And it's your choice to wait until the harvest for that to happen. Peace

Old 08-25-2017, 01:19 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Re: ...having faith that God is love...Pleroo
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Me too.
Yes, and once someone really gets that then they/we KNOW all that happens in us and around us
is for our good. Always, God drawing us near....
and this is why Jesus said..Do not worry...Paul, Be anxious for nothing...which I have practiced since Jan 'O6...give your burdens to him...same thing...let them go...
God adores you...yes. And for this, people here love to mock me in their way.
And for sitting in stillness and going within, also...as if that is a baaaaad thing. Needer, needer, shame on me to go where the Kingdom of Heaven is.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:59 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Re: ...having faith that God is love...Pleroo

Yes, and once someone really gets that then they/we KNOW all that happens in us and around us
is for our good. Always, God drawing us near....
and this is why Jesus said..Do not worry...Paul, Be anxious for nothing...which I have practiced since Jan 'O6...give your burdens to him...same thing...let them go...
God adores you...yes. And for this, people here love to mock me in their way.
And for sitting in stillness and going within, also...as if that is a baaaaad thing. Needer, needer, shame on me to go where the Kingdom of Heaven is.

I'd never mock you for your beliefs -- they make you the joyful person that you are. Now, that green stuff stuck in your teeth, on the other hand... <snicker>

Old 08-25-2017, 02:36 PM

691 posts, read 419,314 times
each ones faith is for God to judge. God says to apply the lessons he teaches us as we live. Actually live by the lessons

Old 08-25-2017, 03:25 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,803,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstelm View Post
each ones faith is for God to judge. God says to apply the lessons he teaches us as we live. Actually live by the lessons
Amen

Old 08-25-2017, 07:53 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
This thread has been seriously hijacked. Remains closed after 6 pages of deletions.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-25-2017 at 08:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity