Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 06:22 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times

Advertisements

Could you go 2 weeks not reading it to spend time in prayer, contemplation and stillness or silence ?
Like an addict at the suggestion of giving up heroin or cigarettes for 2 weeks...
what was your reaction?
An easy, "Sure, I could leave it alone for 2 weeks and pray.''
Or a , "What!? How dare you ask me that?"

Does the Bible give you a high, an inspiration, a good feeling or could you feel all that
being alone, in solitude with God's Presence...or waiting for It?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 06:32 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,039,577 times
Yes, but why would I want to? The secrets of the universe and everything in between have been "downloaded" into that just waiting on the "glory of kings to search out a matter."

Frankly, I'm a little intrigued at why it takes someone, anyone, sitting in silence for hours for Him to "show up". Myself and the people I hang with can pray in the Spirit and hear Him reply almost immediately. And since we're praying, we're never silent to begin with, except in the sense that it's the Spirit praying through us, not us. Peace

Old 08-30-2017, 07:05 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Yes, but why would I want to? The secrets of the universe and everything in between have been "downloaded" into that just waiting on the "glory of kings to search out a matter."

Frankly, I'm a little intrigued at why it takes someone, anyone, sitting in silence for hours for Him to "show up". Myself and the people I hang with can pray in the Spirit and hear Him reply almost immediately. And since we're praying, we're never silent to begin with, except in the sense that it's the Spirit praying through us, not us. Peace
Amazing how you believe God downloaded it into a book but you do not believe that God can download it directly into you. This is another reason I decided to no longer follow the way of fundamentalism...... it limits God to a book.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:35 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,725,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Amazing how you believe God downloaded it into a book but you do not believe that God can download it directly into you. This is another reason I decided to no longer follow the way of fundamentalism...... it limits God to a book.
of course she believes that he can down load it but she also knowns that he doesn't do that without there being a double witness in his word , or whatever is downloads is from a lying spirit unless it is double witnessed in his word!! God gave us that and those witnesses for our peace and assurance.
you have no peace that your beliefs are true or you wouldn't spend you time trying to destroy our beliefs. .

Old 08-30-2017, 07:45 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
of course she believes that he can down load it but she also knowns that he doesn't do that without there being a double witness in his word , or whatever is downloads is from a lying spirit unless it is double witnessed in his word!! God gave us that and those witnesses for our peace and assurance.
you have no peace that your beliefs are true or you wouldn't spend you time trying to destroy our beliefs. .
The witness is knowing through experience. Have you experienced the peace of God keeping you , or is this just a bible verse you believe in ?.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:46 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
I've read the Bible several times, and it's more internal now than external. I.e. it's not something that I have to keep reading to know what it's about, and what God is about. We're supposed to retain the teachings and information so we have it with us, deep down, inside, and aren't burying our nose in it, when we should instead be among people. We're supposed to take what we've read and apply it.

Like the passage about being young spiritually, we are like babies drinking milk. But when we are older, and eat "solid foods", and know more (have spiritual knowledge), we shouldn't have to keep nursing the scriptures like babes.

You certainly don't see Jesus running around all over the place with scrolls in his hand. Other than a small portion of time reading in synagogs, he was living in the real world amongst everyone else. Even in the synagogs, he was among others. I've seen more that a few believers obviously choosing to hide and read the Bible, rather than roll up their sleeves and get out among the people. Some too seem to act like there's some kind of gauge or time meter that keeps track of their Bible reading time, and they get uneasy if they aren't keeping up with man's and other's self-appointed expectations. I'd rather feel effective and useful to God, than be worried about how much time I'm reading the Bible.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 08-30-2017 at 08:22 PM..

Old 08-30-2017, 07:51 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,725,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The witness is knowing through experience. Have you experienced the peace of God keeping you , or is this just a bible verse you believe in ?.
and you know a good lie from a bad lie how exactly? a good lie is 99% truth and no one is ready for those . his word is our only protection from the great liar and the Father of all Liars .

Old 08-30-2017, 09:26 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Thank you all, so far.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:46 PM

88 posts, read 36,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Could you go 2 weeks not reading it to spend time in prayer, contemplation and stillness or silence ?
Like an addict at the suggestion of giving up heroin or cigarettes for 2 weeks...
what was your reaction?
An easy, "Sure, I could leave it alone for 2 weeks and pray.''
Or a , "What!? How dare you ask me that?"

Does the Bible give you a high, an inspiration, a good feeling or could you feel all that
being alone, in solitude with God's Presence...or waiting for It?
Thanks
As it is written.

"My words are life to those who find them, to man's whole being they are health. "

I could go without the bible for weeks but not without God's word which is written in my heart.The

" Man does not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God. "

Old 08-30-2017, 09:58 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,039,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post

Exactly. Always trying to break the law of two witnesses, but it won't work. Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity