Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2017, 06:18 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,994,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Oh you are Christians alright just not believing in the Eucharist is truly God Christians. If you don't believe then don't say you do when going up to communion and saying "Amen" which is "I believe it is Christ's body" when taking the host.
Gt off your high horse. Christians understand the Lord's supper as well as Catholics do, maybe better. Does your priests read the warning in I Cor 11:27. The Lord's table is not for Catholics only, It is for all Christians. It was not meant to be closed.

If you want to believe the elements are the literal body and blood of Jesus, that is your choice but the Bib le does not say it is. When Jesus said those things, He was using metaphors. However the only requirement for taking the Lords supper is to remember the Lord's death until He returns, not on an interpretation of a passage in the Bible.

Quote:
Please listen to the videos I posted. They explain it very well.
Not necessary. The Bible tells me all I need to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
Unfortunately, yes ... the fundamentalist Catholics, Baptists, etc... believe Jesus came to exclude people from the Kingdom of God. They have a deep fear of being excluded and therefore they project this fear out into the world. Fear has torment and has to do with judgement. No wonder Jesus said so many times, "Fear Not!"
True fundamentalist do not fear being excluded from heaven. We KNOW we will be there. God guarantees it.

Phil 1:6 - For I am confident of this very thing, He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Jesus Christ.

Heb 12:2 -Fixing our eyes on Jesus, the Author and perfecter of faith...

I Pet 1:23 - for you have been born again not of seed which is perishable, but imperishable, that is the living and enduring word of God.

I Jn 5:13 - These things I have written that you may KNOW, you have eternal life.

Also, just as one physically born can't be unborn, the same is true of being born again. We cant be unborn spiritually spiritually.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Not at all. You are free to enjoy communion at your church. But if you are not Catholic, you should not take communion at a Catholic church. That is all.
I agree. That is their rule and all should honor it. There are other churches that will let you take communion if you want to.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:22 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
I'm an Episcopalian who married into a devout Catholic family. My wife eventually became Episcopalian and our children were all baptized and confirmed into the Episcopal faith.

Nevertheless, when we visit, we attend a Catholic mass at the insistence of the in-laws. I do not take communion, instead opting for a blessing. But, personally, I cannot help but be annoyed whenever I do, for excluding anyone from the Eucharist is a petty and legalistic act, the very thing Christ warned us about when criticizing the Pharisees. It is about the most unchristian action I can imagine.

Transubstantiation, consubstantiation, who cares? The notion of transubstantiation doesn't have a scriptural basis, instead being lifted wholesale from the Greek mystery cults.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:35 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I'm an Episcopalian who married into a devout Catholic family. My wife eventually became Episcopalian and our children were all baptized and confirmed into the Episcopal faith.

Nevertheless, when we visit, we attend a Catholic mass at the insistence of the in-laws. I do not take communion, instead opting for a blessing. But, personally, I cannot help but be annoyed whenever I do, for excluding anyone from the Eucharist is a petty and legalistic act, the very thing Christ warned us about when criticizing the Pharisees. It is about the most unchristian action I can imagine.

Transubstantiation, consubstantiation, who cares? The notion of transubstantiation doesn't have a scriptural basis, instead being lifted wholesale from the Greek mystery cults.
Do you realize that a Catholic believes that to take the eucharist wrongly, God might kill that person? Or that the host is actually the flesh and blood of God?

Why would they, if they reverence it that much, allow it to be abused by someone taking it in a wrong way? Or that they'd allow you to take it, believing you could be killed by God for it?

Is there ANYTHING about your home that you expect of guests? Do you tell them to take off their shoes as they enter? Or do you not get upset if they track mud in on your carpet? Do you expect guests to show ANY respect for your home and your ways?

Old 09-22-2017, 08:09 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Do you realize that a Catholic believes that to take the eucharist wrongly, God might kill that person? Or that the host is actually the flesh and blood of God?

Why would they, if they reverence it that much, allow it to be abused by someone taking it in a wrong way? Or that they'd allow you to take it, believing you could be killed by God for it?

Is there ANYTHING about your home that you expect of guests? Do you tell them to take off their shoes as they enter? Or do you not get upset if they track mud in on your carpet? Do you expect guests to show ANY respect for your home and your ways?
I don't think you read my post correctly. I respect the Catholic belief on the subject, even if I don't agree with it. I do not take the Eucharist in the Catholic church.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:51 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,922,456 times
Quote:
Do you realize that a Catholic believes that to take the eucharist wrongly, God might kill that person?

Is that actually true????????

Is this a joke?

Old 09-22-2017, 09:49 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Is that actually true????????

Is this a joke?
I'm serious. It's not a small thing in Catholic theology. They take it very seriously.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:18 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,331,979 times
Quote:
I'm serious. It's not a small thing in Catholic theology. They take it very seriously.

they take it very seriously but I have never heard or seen anything in OFFICIAL Catholic theology (think "catechism of the Catholic Church") that says or even implies that the "unworthy" reception during communion leads to actual physical death whatever some well-meaning but ignorant individuals might think and FWIW have never heard or seen such ideas expressed publically or in private conversation either. OTOH, it is a part of Catholic (and likely Orthodox) belief that intentional and knowing unworthy reception is a very grave matter (aka "mortal sin") which has serious bad effects on the state of a person's soul, their relation with God, and thus their potential salvation. Catholics and Orthodox base their belief on their interpretation right, wrong, or indifferent of Paul's admonitions regarding "failure to discern the body" or "eating and drinking...unworthily" which leads to eating and drinking "judgment" on themselves. (see 1 Cor. 11:29). all this is (according to their belief) is really about concern (misguided or otherwise) for people to help them do the right thing.

again, I would strongly suggest reading the Wikipedia article on "Eucharistic theology" which outlines the beliefs of a number of Christian denominations; Catholic, Orthodox, and many others.

in the peace of Christ.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 09-22-2017 at 10:36 AM..

Old 09-22-2017, 10:21 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,922,456 times
Religion is just not for me.
And the reasons why are many.

Nothing comes between man and his Creator.
Religion inserts as many imaginary obstacles as possible, it often seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity