Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 08:48 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Did I misinterpret "I wouldn't expect a Catholic to come to my church and receive communion IF he/she didn't believe that Jesus died on the cross for their sins and they didn't know him as Lord and Savior."
It was just what I said. If they don't know Christ, I don't want them taking communion in my church. I don't care what denomination they're in. But the thread is on Catholic communion, so it's relevant to specifically discuss Catholics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 09:02 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,332,675 times
just for the sake of clarity (and NOT to derail the thread)just like other Christians Catholics do indeed believe, confess, and teach that Christ has indeed died for their sins and the sins of the whole world and that the Eucharist is in fact a true "communion" with the body and blood of their Savior who offered up His body and shed his blood for them on the cross of Calvary.

"the cup of blessing that we bless is it not the communion with the blood of Christ? the bread that we break is it not the communion of the body of Christ?" (1 Cor. 10:16).

in the peace of Christ our Lord and Savior---Who has died, Who has risen, and Who will come again.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
just for the sake of clarity (and NOT to derail the thread)just like other Christians Catholics do indeed believe, confess, and teach that Christ has indeed died for their sins and the sins of the whole world and that the Eucharist is in fact a true "communion" with the body and blood of their Savior who offered up His body and shed his blood for them on the cross of Calvary.

"the cup of blessing that we bless is it not the communion with the blood of Christ? the bread that we break is it not the communion of the body of Christ?" (1 Cor. 10:16).

in the peace of Christ our Lord and Savior---Who has died, Who has risen, and Who will come again.
Yes, and no. I have known, and I certainly do believe that there are people that believe in Jesus and are saved within the Catholic church.

On the other hand, having grown up Catholic, I'm aware on a personal level, of the added nonsense that simply muddies up the water. OFFICIAL Roman Catholic teaching is that one is "saved" by Christ in the sense that his sacrifice allows grace to be infused into us, allowing us to do good works which are meritorious. It's a question of "infused" vs. "imputed" righteousness. I think the distinction needs to be made.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yes, and no. I have known, and I certainly do believe that there are people that believe in Jesus and are saved within the Catholic church.

On the other hand, having grown up Catholic, I'm aware on a personal level, of the added nonsense that simply muddies up the water. OFFICIAL Roman Catholic teaching is that one is "saved" by Christ in the sense that his sacrifice allows grace to be infused into us, allowing us to do good works which are meritorious. It's a question of "infused" vs. "imputed" righteousness. I think the distinction needs to be made.

it might be worth your time to check out the Wikipedia article: "justification (theology)" which outlines (or at least tries to) the differences in concept between various Christians between Catholics/Orthodox and (some) Protestants and in fact between various Protestants---my take on it is that there is a distinct difference in understanding between the relationship of "Justification" and "Sanctification" and how they inter-relate, contrast, and contribute to "Salvation".

that said, this is my last comment on this subject as I think we can both agree that it really is off topic from the thread.

in the peace of Christ.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
it might be worth your time to check out the Wikipedia article: "justification (theology)" which outlines (or at least tries to) the differences in concept between various Christians between Catholics/Orthodox and (some) Protestants and in fact between various Protestants---my take on it is that there is a distinct difference in understanding between the relationship of "Justification" and "Sanctification" and how they inter-relate, contrast, and contribute to "Salvation".

that said, this is my last comment on this subject as I think we can both agree that it really is off topic from the thread.

in the peace of Christ.
Agreed....there is a difference in understanding.

And also agreed....we can discuss it with respect and charity. Thanks for the thoughts.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Agreed....there is a difference in understanding.

And also agreed....we can discuss it with respect and charity. Thanks for the thoughts.

hopefully both sides can at least accept the idea that the "other side" in this and many other aspects of theology are in fact neither fools or knaves but actually sincere, knowledgeable, and God fearing Christians who can and do interpret the very same scriptures in different (but not un-reasonable) ways. perhaps the challenge for any Christian of any denomination or affiliation is not the details of his or her beliefs and faith but how they are really acted upon and lived out in this world through "works" of faith and hope in God and love and forgiveness for our neighbor because God in Christ has loved and forgiven us.

may God bless and keep you and yours.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 09-12-2017 at 10:59 AM..

Old 09-12-2017, 03:53 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Default Is it really so bad for a non Catholic to receive communion?

How could it ever be bad for anyone to engage in remembrance of Christ as He asked us to do?

Old 09-12-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
How could it ever be bad for anyone to engage in remembrance of Christ as He asked us to do?
So you believe that the bread and wine literally becomes the body and blood (actual flesh and blood) of Christ?

Because that's what Catholics believe. And they have a belief about it that is different from Baptists, or pretty much any other denomination. They believe one is in sin if they take it with sin on their conscience.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:28 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
^And?

Old 09-12-2017, 04:28 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Quote:
So you believe that the bread and wine literally becomes the body and blood (actual flesh and blood) of Christ?
Because that's what Catholics believe. And they have a belief about it that is different from Baptists, or pretty much any other denomination. They believe one is in sin if they take it with sin on their conscience.
That is what Catholics believe, but why would you assume that I believe it? It should be pretty common knowledge by now that I hold NO magical beliefs. Jesus told us to do that in REMEMBRANCE of Him, period. It seems to me that anyone who does that is remembering Christ, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity