Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 01:10 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Mine started professing the faith around 5th grade and were baptized. Each kid is different. God has no grandchildren...so it's not enough for the parents to be Christians..the kid needs to understand and believe.
Did the kid need to understand and believe in order to be physically born when Jesus stated: "Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit".?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 01:25 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Mine started professing the faith around 5th grade and were baptized. Each kid is different. God has no grandchildren...so it's not enough for the parents to be Christians..the kid needs to understand and believe.
In other words, they were conditioned or taught to believe what you believe and were baptized?

Old 10-03-2017, 01:35 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Did the kid need to understand and believe in order to be physically born when Jesus stated: "Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit".?
Nope. Not sure how that's relevant.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:00 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nope. Not sure how that's relevant.
Jesus is speaking of the two births of a person and makes no distinction between the birth of spiritual and the physical in so far as "the kid needs to understand and believe" either before being physically born vs spiritually born
  1. "Flesh gives birth to flesh, ----- physical
  2. but the Spirit gives birth to spirit". ---- spiritual
yet you are requiring that "the kid needs to understand and believe" when concerning the spiritual.
By doing so, one is in effect making coming to faith no longer "by grace" but "a work of man" \ a "good work".

That is how I knew concerning my children when they were a believer of God.

4 of my kids after when the "flesh gave birth to flesh" ... "the Spirit gives birth to spirit" via "through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit" ... baptism.

Last edited by twin.spin; 10-03-2017 at 03:43 PM..

Old 10-03-2017, 03:59 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
The moment they were baptized as infants since coming to faith is a work of God, not the work of human decision.

As Jesus said: "Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit."
so the simple act of baptism provides salvation?

Old 10-03-2017, 05:05 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,807,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
pretty much, not so difficult is it?

Old 10-03-2017, 05:12 PM

11,251 posts, read 11,025,570 times
Quote:
The moment they were baptized as infants since coming to faith is a work of God, not the work of human decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
pretty much, not so difficult is it?
And as an infant none the less! Well heck, I'm gonna sleep a lot easier tonight!

Old 10-03-2017, 05:32 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
And as an infant none the less! Well heck, I'm gonna sleep a lot easier tonight!
Since I was baptized in the Eastern Rite Ukrainian Catholic church, the sacrament of Confirmation was also bestowed at that time.

So, years later, when attending a Roman Catholic school, I didn't have to take the mandatory-for-the-other-kids Confirmation instructions. I got free time to read books and daydream.

PLUS I got to celebrate two (2!) Christmases and got time off school for the Ukrainian one.

I don't regret my Catholic upbringing at all. Despite the occasional, sadistic, strap-wielding nun.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:04 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,807,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
You should.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:36 PM

11,251 posts, read 11,025,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
You should.
Curious if Mike 555 and Twin are on the same page on this one. In eight years on this forum I always thought they were.

If I'm understanding Twin correctly, if an individual is baptized at the discretion of their parents as a baby in their church, the baptized individuals' place in Heaven is permanently reserved regardless of the choices they make later in their own lives.

This would go contrary of anything I was taught growing up in a fundamentalist Christian home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity