Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 01:33 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
People's nature does not change without God's intervention in their hearts.
Now THAT bears repeating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Not in my holy book.
If a little boy jumps off a dock and says to his mom,"DID YOU SEE THAT!!!!? "...
I would say that is self-righteous pride...I see it as normal, healthy ego growth... in a world
filled with low self-esteem, shame, depression and unworthiness.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:47 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,001,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
If a little boy jumps off a dock and says to his mom,"DID YOU SEE THAT!!!!? "...
I would say that is self-righteous pride...I see it as normal, healthy ego growth... in a world
filled with low self-esteem, shame, depression and unworthiness.
Do you know what is meant by "self-righteous"? It means that one is righteous in their own qualifications, or their own deeds. Pride suggesting that one is good in and of themselves is self-righteous pride.

The good news of the Gospel is that none of us are self-righteously good enough. The GOOD NEWS is that we don't have to be good enough. God grants us salvation by HIS grace and goodness.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:02 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
So very much in common with Isaiah 30:15, Luke 3:3, Luke 5:32..

Jesus came so WE HAD LIFE, AND LIFE MORE ABUNDANTLY..not FEAR, OPPRESSION, COERCION, and DOUBT.

HERE IS WHAT CHRIST HAS DONE__

◄ Isaiah 61 ►

New International Version

The Year of the Lord’s Favor

1 The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
because the Lord has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners,

2 to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor
and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,

3 and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of joy
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the Lord
for the display of his splendor.
You have two options:

1)when you get over regurgitating hypocrisy via quoting ◄ Isaiah 61 ►, remind the troll from where that blasphemous pic is from that you've stated before:
"Religion (Christianity) has made an IDOL of the bible, and the cross.

Hence,BACK AWAY FROM THE MAN MADE IDOL--ANCIENT WORDS WRITTEN BY MORTAL MEN AND CORRUPTED BY MORTAL MEN IN POWER.---

LAY THE BIBLE DOWN and LIVE LIFE----"

2) or take your quote of ◄ Isaiah 61 ► to the dungeons of hell and see if the demons concede that liberalism's promise of social gospel empties their prisons

Old 10-19-2017, 02:11 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
when you get over regurgitating hypocrisy via quoting ◄ Isaiah 61 ►, remind the troll from where that blasphemous pic is from that you've stated before:
"Religion (Christianity) has made an IDOL of the bible, and the cross.

Hence,BACK AWAY FROM THE MAN MADE IDOL--ANCIENT WORDS WRITTEN BY MORTAL MEN AND CORRUPTED BY MORTAL MEN IN POWER.---

LAY THE BIBLE DOWN and LIVE LIFE----"
or take your quote of ◄ Isaiah 61 ► to the dungeons of hell and see if the demons concede that liberalism's promise of social gospel empties their prisons
As MANY times as you have been told that "making an idol of the Bible" is NOT about tossing the Bible out, BUT about using it properly you STILL get up on what YOU think is your high horse, but which is STILL that broken down nag of denial.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Do you know what is meant by "self-righteous"? It means that one is righteous in their own qualifications, or their own deeds. Pride suggesting that one is good in and of themselves is self-righteous pride
I see many dictionaries have in part that the person thinks another is wrong and they, themselves, are (always) right.
I thought the little boy is the self...is feeling all prideful and righteous, "Yay for ME!', so he is prideful and self-righteous, and it isn't a bad thing always.
But, it is not what the dictionaries say.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:23 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Do you know what is meant by "self-righteous"? It means that one is righteous in their own qualifications, or their own deeds. Pride suggesting that one is good in and of themselves is self-righteous pride.

The good news of the Gospel is that none of us are self-righteously good enough. The GOOD NEWS is that we don't have to be good enough. God grants us salvation by HIS grace and goodness.
The ABSOLUTE BESTEST news is the gospel is wrong.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
As MANY times as you have been told that "making an idol of the Bible" is NOT about tossing the Bible out, BUT about using it properly you STILL get up on what YOU think is your high horse, but which is STILL that broken down nag of denial.
yea ... we know all about the inner spirit guide hubris claims.

inner guide ... inner guide ... inner guide ...

Old 10-19-2017, 02:42 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
yea ... we know all about your inner spirit guide hubris claims.
You SHOULD know as you have been told many times about what your claimed authority says concerning our guide, but you don't WANT to believe that it is reliable because you can't control perceptions through your interpretation of what the Bible says and would be caught by the consideration of the character of the Spirit taught by Jesus.

It isn't MY hubris that is in play here.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
You SHOULD know as you have been told many times about what your claimed authority says concerning our guide, but you don't WANT to believe that it is reliable because you can't control perceptions through your interpretation of what the Bible says and would be caught by the consideration of the character of the Spirit taught by Jesus.

It isn't MY hubris that is in play here.
My authority states of YOUR authority isn't reliable:
"every inclination of the human heart is evil from childhood."

" For it is from within, out of a person’s heart, that evil thoughts come—
sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly.
All these evils come from inside ..." ~ Jesus
Your hubris should never be believed or listened to by those who listen to the true Jesus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity