Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2017, 08:59 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It's ridiculous to hate a book. People who hate books burn them. We know of at least one on this forum who has done so and is proud of it.

I think the bible is a compendium of stories, allegories, myth, history and nonsense written by primitive people trying to understand their world. Some of it is brilliant. Some of it abhorrent and barbarous. Thankfully, most people know which is which.

What I have come to hate, is the mindset of fundamentalists who think its an inerrant book of historical fact. They want to use their book to control others and that is hateful.
Thank you for that post. You said it much better than I could have.

I would just add that it's a book full of promises, many (perhaps even most) of which are not fulfilled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 09:01 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,915,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
...really? And you're a mighty queen? Quit sniveling.
"Sniveling?" Definition: complain in a whining or tearful way

I don't see any sniveling going on, just vicious and rude characterization of a rational presentation YOU don't like and for which don't really have an answer.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:03 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,915,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Could you define "hater" in your question?
Miss H was citing a post that used the term. I think the question is best answered by that poster.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:31 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I think it's clear from the responses we get on this forum that there are those that do.
I love the bible, and I often turn to it when in need o direction or solace.

I just think that some parts are metaphors. I also take it into historical context.

I take the words of Jesus with complete seriousness.

Paul was a man. A God loving man who did much to spread the word of Christ and to establish he early church.

However, he was a MAN. When Saul of Tarsus became Paul, he retained many of his same personality features - opinionated, judgmental, zealotry, and passion.

The Hebrew scripture is the Law. I do not take it all seriously. Some - that align with the words of Christ, I do.

Read The Sermon on the Mount. Read the Gospels. Read what Jesus had to say about Capitol Punishment. And what he NEVER said about Gays.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:33 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,710,208 times
I notice no bible idolotor has attempted to tell us WHICH of the four views of end times is correct, nor which of the four evangelistic views of Heaven and Hell is correct, nor which of the four views of the Atonement is the infallible and inerrant one. They can't. There is too much disagreement among themselves, although I credit rbbi1 with having a genocidal god and apparently worshiping a jesus who enjoys bashing babies heads against stones. She more or less admits her god is interested in punishment and is disgusted with love.

Biblical scholars however speak to THINKING people who have a God inspired morality --like Troutdude, animist that he is!

As Christian Smith writes:
----------
The “biblicism†that pervades much of American evangelicalism is untenable and needs to be abandoned in favor of a better approach to Christian truth and authority. By untenable I do not simply mean that it is wrong, but rather that it is literally impossible, at least when attempted consistently on its own terms. It cannot actually be sustained, practiced, and defended. Biblicism is one kind of an attempt to explain and act on the authority of the Bible, but it is a misguided one. In the end it cannot and in fact does not work.
------------
Christian Smith, The Bible Made Impossible: Why Biblicism Is Not a Truly Evangelical Reading of Scripture (Grand Rapids: Brazos, 2012), p. 3

But never underestimate an idolotor's ability to blank out any moral compunctions they may once have had to keep their golden pages as how-to-hate religiously manual.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:41 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,804,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I notice no bible idolotor has attempted to tell us WHICH of the four views of end times is correct, nor which of the four evangelistic views of Heaven and Hell is correct, nor which of the four views of the Atonement is the infallible and inerrant one. They can't. There is too much disagreement among themselves, although I credit rbbi1 with having a genocidal god and apparently worshiping a jesus who enjoys bashing babies heads against stones. She more or less admits her god is interested in punishment and is disgusted with love.

Biblical scholars however speak to THINKING people who have a God inspired morality --like Troutdude, animist that he is!

As Christian Smith writes:
----------
The “biblicism†that pervades much of American evangelicalism is untenable and needs to be abandoned in favor of a better approach to Christian truth and authority. By untenable I do not simply mean that it is wrong, but rather that it is literally impossible, at least when attempted consistently on its own terms. It cannot actually be sustained, practiced, and defended. Biblicism is one kind of an attempt to explain and act on the authority of the Bible, but it is a misguided one. In the end it cannot and in fact does not work.
------------
Christian Smith, The Bible Made Impossible: Why Biblicism Is Not a Truly Evangelical Reading of Scripture (Grand Rapids: Brazos, 2012), p. 3

But never underestimate an idolotor's ability to blank out any moral compunctions they may once have had to keep their golden pages as how-to-hate religiously manual.
Everything that is right and true
You hate.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:43 PM

70 posts, read 50,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I love the bible, and I often turn to it when in need o direction or solace.

I just think that some parts are metaphors. I also take it into historical context.

I take the words of Jesus with complete seriousness.

Paul was a man. A God loving man who did much to spread the word of Christ and to establish he early church.

However, he was a MAN. When Saul of Tarsus became Paul, he retained many of his same personality features - opinionated, judgmental, zealotry, and passion.

The Hebrew scripture is the Law. I do not take it all seriously. Some - that align with the words of Christ, I do.

Read The Sermon on the Mount. Read the Gospels. Read what Jesus had to say about Capitol Punishment. And what he NEVER said about Gays.
Thank you, this is my approach as well. Although, I must say I'm inclined to take to the Bible by contextualizing and understanding everything through an appropriate lens.

Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through him. As a Hindu, I slowly came to realize this over the course of many years of extensive research and pouring over.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Everything that is right and true
You hate.
I hate what you claim to love because what you love is injustice and demeaning of others. In that regard I am like that famous atheist you would never sink to read:

"I am said to be a revolutionist in my sympathies, by birth, by breeding and by principle. I am always on the side of the revolutionists, because there never was a revolution unless there were some oppressive and intolerable conditions against which to revolute. "
Mark Twain

I'm not sorry at all to stand against the oppressive and intolerable conditions you and your allies wish on your enemies---atheists, agnostics, Muslims, and Christians who love Jesus more than the paper book you idolize. If you were able to think and reason logically you wouldn't be worshiping paper.

Have a nice day stewing in that exclusiveness.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTamilTiger View Post
Thank you, this is my approach as well. Although, I must say I'm inclined to take to the Bible by contextualizing and understanding everything through an appropriate lens.

Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through him. As a Hindu, I slowly came to realize this over the course of many years of extensive research and pouring over.
A fine statement of commitment to God. As a Hindu you are likely to see God before any of our bible idolotors do.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:55 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,804,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I hate what you claim to love because what you love is injustice and demeaning of others. In that regard I am like that famous atheist you would never sink to read:

"I am said to be a revolutionist in my sympathies, by birth, by breeding and by principle. I am always on the side of the revolutionists, because there never was a revolution unless there were some oppressive and intolerable conditions against which to revolute. "
Mark Twain

I'm not sorry at all to stand against the oppressive and intolerable conditions you and your allies wish on your enemies---atheists, agnostics, Muslims, and Christians who love Jesus more than the paper book you idolize.

Have a nice day stewing in that exclusiveness.
Luv u too.

Might want swing harder with your other hand next
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity