Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 07:11 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
That same passage says “All scripture is inspired.”
I am inspired by many things, none of which are the absolute truth..chapter and verse where Jesus said go get a bible..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 07:36 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
In one fell swoop you marginalize christians, then accuse the Spector of what you just did.

If you have cause, speak of the case exactly as is.

I have known outright hatefull and abusive people claim to be a Believer in Christ.
Then turn around and walk like a back biter.
Yes, and I would advise to steer clear of those types. You don't have to keep company with them.

Most, because they have never read and studied scripture with the Counselor.
Have become just as the parable explains.
A habitation of every foul bird.
Sorry if I was not clear enough. It is the false accusations by some individuals against non belief that I hate. I certainly have no quarts with the religion nor the vast majority of Christians however those that claim because I am an atheist I must hate either the Bible, the writers of the Bible or Christians as the poster I responded to claimed is a false claim. Perhaps you can explain how I margenized Christians as it was neither my intent, how I read my words or how other posters read them.

Who do you mean by the Spector?

Old 10-19-2017, 07:47 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,803,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Sorry if I was not clear enough. It is the false accusations by some individuals against non belief that I hate. I certainly have no quarts with the religion nor the vast majority of Christians however those that claim because I am an atheist I must hate either the Bible, the writers of the Bible or Christians as the poster I responded to claimed is a false claim. Perhaps you can explain how I margenized Christians as it was neither my intent, how I read my words or how other posters read them.

Who do you mean by the Spector?
I agree.
There is nothing wrong with speaking the Truth.
Though sometimes a measure of discretion is in order.

By Being specific about how you were hurt by a supposed believer.
if unable to reconcile with them then speak up to the Lord.

Dont go around swinging and flailing like a bitter person.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:47 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
What’s ironic is there are those here who believe the Spirit tells them scripture is NOT the very breath of God, but the writers who say it IS the very breath of God were somehow mislead.
It's not ironic.

It's true. The "writers" were, at best, 2nd-hand and most likely 3rd or 4th and edited by the 5th through 11th until whatever version of what came to be known as the bible came to be.

"Scripture" to you, is holy as all get-out.

To most of the rest of the world, it's ancient myth/stories, complete with mould.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:09 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I am inspired by many things, none of which are the absolute truth..chapter and verse where Jesus said go get a bible..
“It is written...” -Jesus

Luke 4

16 And He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up; and as was His custom, He entered the synagogue on the Sabbath, and stood up to read. 17 And the book of the prophet Isaiah was handed to Him. And He opened the book and found the place where it was written...

Re: 2 Tim. 3:16 and “inspired”

What is the excellency of the scripture. It is given by inspiration of God (v. 16), and therefore is His word. It is a divine revelation, which we may depend upon as infallibly true. The same Spirit that breathed reason into us breathes revelation among us: For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man, but holy men spoke as they were moved or carried forth by the Holy Ghost, 2 Pt. 1:21 . The prophets and apostles did not speak from themselves, but what they received of the Lord that they delivered unto us.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:09 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
I agree.
There is nothing wrong with speaking the Truth.
Though sometimes a measure of discretion is in order.

By Being specific about how you were hurt by a supposed believer.
if unable to reconcile with them then speak up to the Lord.

Dont go around swinging and flailing like a bitter person.
Are you asking me to name exactly which individuals have made each of those claims in the couple of years I have been on this site?

I did speak out to the last person who claimed that I either hate the Bible, the writers of the Bible or the believers of the Bible and you are what telling me I have no right to point out that he is wrong? That I should become religious in order to have people stop making false accudations? Otherwise why would I speak to something I do not believe in?

I am annoyed by believers who continue to make false accusations about non believers or believers of other faiths in order to make those people seem less like people. Are you fine with Xupio.making unfounded accusations because he is a fellow Christian. Why don't you ask him why he continues to make false statements? Failing that perhaps either of you could be so kind to tell me if it is the Bible, the writers or the followers that I hate as apparently , according to the two of you I must hate one of those and I sure don't know which one it is as I don't feel hate for any of my chouces.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:15 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
But, jimmie, have you read some of the stuff that is inspired?
These are only 3.
This is why we just can not abide by the Bible as inspired by a loving Father...sorry,
we can't...
and then we are ridiculed as haters.

-"And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched." (Mark 9:43)

-"Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones." (Psalm 137:9)

-"But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel: Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: ...." (Deuteronomy 22: 20-21)

BUT, I am not asking you to change...believe what you want....but there has to be a respect
that we are not haters of the Bible ...we are actually lovers and that is why we can't
say the entire Bible is truly inspired...and as I have said..."Oh that it were..."

Why should I believe you over the Apostles? They claimed to be led by the Spirit.

Like mose liberal Christians, you have totally disregarded God’s holiness. You say, “A loving god would not send prople to Hell.” Perhaps a holy God must.

Matthew 10

28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. -Jesus

Old 10-19-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It's ridiculous to hate a book. People who hate books burn them. We know of at least one on this forum who has done so and is proud of it.

I think the bible is a compendium of stories, allegories, myth, history and nonsense written by primitive people trying to understand their world. Some of it is brilliant. Some of it abhorrent and barbarous. Thankfully, most people know which is which.

What I have come to hate, is the mindset of fundamentalists who think its an inerrant book of historical fact. They want to use their book to control others and that is hateful.
Most Christians I know love the scriptures.
And with visiting many churches I've found that a good number of the people are studying the scriptures deeply.

Instances of fellowship have taught me things that were far ahead of what the Lesson the Lord would later teach me about.

like treasured memories.

Though they are more than treasures.
The Living Word is astounding to a child even in maturity.

You spoke of a dance of the soul once, do you remember where the thought came from.
No need to answer, just a place maybe that you were and didn't realize it yet.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:54 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times
Default The view of a Jew

From Rabbi David Wolpe in an article entitled Did God Write the Bible on the site My Jewish Learning:
------------------
"Similarly, the slippery slope wreaks havoc with arguments about biblical authorship. If one word, just one word, of the Bible is in fact of human origin, then how can one defend the divinity of any of it? If one word, why not two, or 10, or the whole book?

So it is intellectually neater to hew to a hard line. If it is all from God, then that’s the end of it. For centuries, Jewish exegetes (those who interpret texts) argued that this was the simple truth.

Unfortunately, the evidence does not always cooperate with our intellectual convenience. Once various other academic disciplines began to be developed–literary criticism, comparative religion, archaeology, and so forth–the divinity of the Bible seemed less secure.

Over the past several hundred years, the convergence of a mountain of evidence points to the human component of the Bible. There are parallel texts from other traditions (the 22nd chapter of Proverbs for example, parallels almost exactly an Egyptian text written centuries before); there are mistakes, duplications, emendations–even in the Talmud itself, the same passages in the Bible are often quoted with minute differences, demonstrating that more than one manuscript tradition was in circulation.

Once all this evidence began to be accumulated, those who read the Bible were left with several choices. One could simply ignore the evidence, refuse to read the studies of biblical critics, and continue to believe that the traditional interpretations survived intact.

Alternatively, one could marshal one’s intellectual forces, as many have done, and attack the conclusions of the scholars with counter-arguments by believers. After all, many of the [issues] noted by biblical critics were noted and discussed centuries before.

Yet as time has passed, these arguments have seemed increasingly strained, because the accumulation of evidence is by now not merely formidable, but mountainous. Yet there is nothing so flexible and resourceful as human reason deployed in a cause, so many still seek to rebut the conclusions of biblical critics, and some do so with considerable skill and élan."
------------------

The mountainous accumulation of evidence shows MightyQueen to be correct. Men who encountered God spiritually were inspired to write their own witness about God. The book is not a Sacred "How-To" book, it is as flawed as the men who wrote it and demands we bring the logic and reason God gave to most to understand it. Without logic and reason, the OT is nothing but a record of genocide (which we eschew when practiced by other religions), parental abuse, and punishment.

As Derek Flood writes in his wonderful book, Disarming Scripture----
---------
Religion so often gets stuck exactly here, thinking we’re defending “traditional values” or “historical faith” or “God’s Word” when really what we are doing is missing God because we have missed compassion. The take-away for us here is that when we cling to hurtful interpretations of the Bible—ignoring common sense, ignoring the damaging effects it is having in people’s lives, ignoring what the Spirit is doing right in front of us—this truly is blaspheming God’s Spirit, because the result is that God’s reputation is ruined by a stagnant and heartless religion and the deeply hurtful image of God this presents.
----------
People looking at Scripture as a "rule book" are willing to hurt others by ignoring what they might otherwise reject by using the common sense God gave [most of] them are blaspheming the Holy Spirit. They don't see themselves acting on their "sacred" book exactly as those Muslim extremists do with theirs.

“With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil - that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg

Old 10-19-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It's not ironic.

It's true. The "writers" were, at best, 2nd-hand and most likely 3rd or 4th and edited by the 5th through 11th until whatever version of what came to be known as the bible came to be.

"Scripture" to you, is holy as all get-out.

To most of the rest of the world, it's ancient myth/stories, complete with mould.
Ah, like a printing press making a mistake?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity