Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 04:00 PM

465 posts, read 233,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The love of God would not condemn even the worst sinner without the possibility of coming into alignment with the Way of God.

That's "righteousness."
You're right, it is not love. It is called "righteousness".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 04:09 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,762,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Rules View Post
What about love to cover a multitude of sins?

1 Shimon (Peter 4New International Version (NIV)

Living for God
4 Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because whoever suffers in the body is done with sin. 2 As a result, they do not live the rest of their earthly lives for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God. 3 For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do—living in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry. 4 They are surprised that you do not join them in their reckless, wild living, and they heap abuse on you. 5 But they will have to give account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead. 6 For this is the reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to human standards in regard to the body, but live according to God in regard to the spirit.

7 The end of all things is near. Therefore be alert and of sober mind so that you may pray. 8 Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 9 Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. 10 Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. 11 If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Yeshua. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.

Last edited by pinacled; 10-22-2017 at 04:18 PM..

Old 10-22-2017, 04:33 PM

465 posts, read 233,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift The love of God would not condemn even the worst sinner without the possibility of coming into alignment with the Way of God.

That's "righteousness."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
What about love to cover a multitude of sins?

1 Shimon (Peter 4New International Version (NIV)

Living for God
4 Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because whoever suffers in the body is done with sin. 2 As a result, they do not live the rest of their earthly lives for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God. 3 For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do—living in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry. 4 They are surprised that you do not join them in their reckless, wild living, and they heap abuse on you. 5 But they will have to give account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead. 6 For this is the reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to human standards in regard to the body, but live according to God in regard to the spirit.

7 The end of all things is near. Therefore be alert and of sober mind so that you may pray. 8 Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 9 Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. 10 Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. 11 If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Yeshua. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.
Those who daily make fun of God and his believers also where the mockery of God goes unabated by each one of them by virtue of habit, that not a single one would condemn the other one.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:10 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,075,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The quote is based on Romans 3.

21 But now apart from the Law the righteousness of God has been manifested, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, 22 even the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all those who believe; for there is no distinction; 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus; 25 whom God displayed publicly as a propitiation in His blood through faith. This was to demonstrate His righteousness, because in the forbearance of God He passed over the sins previously committed; 26 for the demonstration, I say, of His righteousness at the present time, so that He would be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.
GOD--Let's create something

ANGELS__What are you thinking?

GOD--I don't know , how about we start with heavens and earth?

ANGEL--BEAUTIFUL!

GOD--I still feel unfulfilled, how about I create a little LIGHT and brighten the day!

ANGEL__BEAUTIFUL!!

GOD__Something is still lacking...I think it needs SKY...

ANGEL---WONDERFUL!!

GOD--darn, what more can I do? How about LAND to keep that water in check..

ANGEL--You're the best God..

GOD--I feel as if I am so close to perfection, I need to toss in some vegetation...

ANGEL--Absolutely breath taking!

GOD---I feel as if all that light is blinding, it is burning the vegetation, lets put that light on auto pilot and God CLAPPED the lights on-off...

ANGEL--MAGNIFICENT!

GOD--The vegetation has gone wild, there must be animals to eat all that green.

ANGEL--Nothing gets past you God..

GOD--LOOK, all that creation is out of control..I need to create a supervisor to oversee all that I have created and one who will exploit it for personal wealth and gain...HUMANS will carry out my will!

ANGEL--And they look just like you GOD!

GOD--OH CRAP! They are evil and vile and must be destroyed as they have refused to do as I want...

ANGEL--TOO BAD they aren't more like us...

Old 10-23-2017, 05:58 PM

20,392 posts, read 12,668,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
GOD--Let's create something

ANGELS__What are you thinking?

GOD--I don't know , how about we start with heavens and earth?

ANGEL--BEAUTIFUL!

GOD--I still feel unfulfilled, how about I create a little LIGHT and brighten the day!

ANGEL__BEAUTIFUL!!

GOD__Something is still lacking...I think it needs SKY...

ANGEL---WONDERFUL!!

GOD--darn, what more can I do? How about LAND to keep that water in check..

ANGEL--You're the best God..

GOD--I feel as if I am so close to perfection, I need to toss in some vegetation...

ANGEL--Absolutely breath taking!

GOD---I feel as if all that light is blinding, it is burning the vegetation, lets put that light on auto pilot and God CLAPPED the lights on-off...

ANGEL--MAGNIFICENT!

GOD--The vegetation has gone wild, there must be animals to eat all that green.

ANGEL--Nothing gets past you God..

GOD--LOOK, all that creation is out of control..I need to create a supervisor to oversee all that I have created and one who will exploit it for personal wealth and gain...HUMANS will carry out my will!

ANGEL--And they look just like you GOD!

GOD--OH CRAP! They are evil and vile and must be destroyed as they have refused to do as I want...

ANGEL--TOO BAD they aren't more like us...
God—However, if I send my Son (an exact representation of Me) to offer Himself as a sacrficial lamb, I can show My love for them and satisfy My holiness.

Angel—Awesome!

1 Peter 1

18 knowing that you were not redeemed with perishable things like silver or gold from your futile way of life inherited from your forefathers, 19 but with precious blood, as of a lamb unblemished and spotless, the blood of Christ.

Old 10-23-2017, 06:37 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,134,790 times
Quote:
The wisdom of God devised a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God while not compromising the righteousness of God. -John Piper, author of “Desiring God”

Thoughts?
He's exactly right.......God is love AND just......and before the earth was formed He had already programmed His crucifixion, the removal of all sins, and the free gift of grace to complete His plan of being together with those HE first loved.........to the utter consternation of the devil

Old 10-23-2017, 10:49 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,656,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Rules View Post
Those who daily make fun of God and his believers also where the mockery of God goes unabated by each one of them by virtue of habit, that not a single one would condemn the other one.
Love is a matter of highest priority according to Paul: “But now abide faith, hope, and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love” (1 Corinthians 13:13).

He didn't include "righteousness" in those three pillars of belief. One can be righteous without love but then their righteousness would be their own and without Jesus. On the other hand he who has at the center of his heart agape love has the righteousness of God within him.

I John 4:16 is quite clear that love is the primary trait of one who has God within them:

"And we have come to know and believe the love that God has for us. God is love; whoever abides in love abides in God, and God in him."

Doesn't mention righteousness as the key to having God abide in one because our righteousness is filthy rags. It is the righteousness of God's Son that stands in for the righteousness fundamentalists think they can achieve on their own.

The difficulty for too many religionists is that they are so full of "right" they have forgotten what is good.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:08 AM

63,461 posts, read 39,726,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Love is a matter of highest priority according to Paul: “But now abide faith, hope, and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love” (1 Corinthians 13:13).

He didn't include "righteousness" in those three pillars of belief. One can be righteous without love but then their righteousness would be their own and without Jesus. On the other hand he who has at the center of his heart agape love has the righteousness of God within him.

I John 4:16 is quite clear that love is the primary trait of one who has God within them:

"And we have come to know and believe the love that God has for us. God is love; whoever abides in love abides in God, and God in him."

Doesn't mention righteousness as the key to having God abide in one because our righteousness is filthy rags. It is the righteousness of God's Son that stands in for the righteousness fundamentalists think they can achieve on their own.

The difficulty for too many religionists is that they are so full of "right" they have forgotten what is good.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:08 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,075,915 times
Quote:
God—However, if I send my Son (an exact representation of Me) to offer Himself as a sacrficial lamb, I can show My love for them and satisfy My holiness.

Angel—Awesome!

1 Peter 1

18 knowing that you were not redeemed with perishable things like silver or gold from your futile way of life inherited from your forefathers, 19 but with precious blood, as of a lamb unblemished and spotless, the blood of Christ.
because I created inferior beings who must call on me to be saved?

Old 10-24-2017, 04:58 AM

20,392 posts, read 12,668,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
because I created inferior beings who must call on me to be saved?
Because I gave them free will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity