Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 02:18 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times

Advertisements

There is no thought in the grave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 02:22 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
So while he was still alive?
It kind of makes sense if you don't take things too literally. (thanks AgeEnduring)

Look at what else is going on in that chapter:

From noon to 3 darkness falls over in the middle of the day. Jesus endures this torture for 3 hours before he cries out and then dies and the darkness is gone. Then read what happens as Jesus dies:

51 At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook, the rocks split 52 and the tombs broke open. The bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. 53 They came out of the tombs after Jesus’ resurrection and[e] went into the holy city and appeared to many people.

54 When the centurion and those with him who were guarding Jesus saw the earthquake and all that had happened, they were terrified, and exclaimed, “Surely he was the Son of God!”

55 Many women were there, watching from a distance. They had followed Jesus from Galilee to care for his needs. 56 Among them were Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James and Joseph,[f] and the mother of Zebedee’s sons.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:42 PM

1,613 posts, read 1,028,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Jesus is God the Son. But he is still in a physical body, having risen from the grave. He is now in Heaven as a physical being (albeit in a glorified body). That is one reason why people have issue with the doctrine of transubstantiation.
My point wasn't anything to do with physical or non-physical. It was that Jesus is not omnipresent, only the Father is - that was the matter last Amalekite was referring to.

Jesus disappeared into the spirit realm at his ascension. You cannot have a physical body in the spiritual realm, by definition! I used to believe he still had a physical body in heaven because I'd swallowed the pushy doctrines and orthodoxies, ...which come from rapture / twinkling of an eye ideas - if that happens at some point it will be lovely, but we shouldn't be banking on it, lest we become like the institutional preachers who hold out the carrot of hope for the world and sinner weary saints. I wouldn't doubt that he looks exactly like his glorified physical body, in which he can manifest as either physical or an open vision to us now if required; but a physical body in heaven, the spiritual realm, no. There is no reason, need or requirement for it.

Old 01-12-2018, 04:04 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
My point wasn't anything to do with physical or non-physical. It was that Jesus is not omnipresent, only the Father is - that was the matter last Amalekite was referring to.

Jesus disappeared into the spirit realm at his ascension. You cannot have a physical body in the spiritual realm, by definition! I used to believe he still had a physical body in heaven because I'd swallowed the pushy doctrines and orthodoxies, ...which come from rapture / twinkling of an eye ideas - if that happens at some point it will be lovely, but we shouldn't be banking on it, lest we become like the institutional preachers who hold out the carrot of hope for the world and sinner weary saints. I wouldn't doubt that he looks exactly like his glorified physical body, in which he can manifest as either physical or an open vision to us now if required; but a physical body in heaven, the spiritual realm, no. There is no reason, need or requirement for it.

Old 01-12-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Some people believe Hell is the separation from God. If that is the case then He indeed go there:

Matt 27

45From the sixth hour until the ninth hour darkness came over all the land. 46About the ninth hour, Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” which means, “My God, My God, why have you forsaken Me?”
Someone said "I will never leave you nor forsake you" Either that's (a) true, (b) they were lying, or (c) our view is conditioned by our own feelings, from time to time, about the matter.

And with respect to the notion that hell is separation from God it is answer (c). The worst (and judgemental) angle to take on 'separation from God' is that it is He who withholds His spirit from this 'place' called hell. ...utter nonsense.

The feeling of separation came when man got bodies, a Mortal mind, and chose to hide from God. ...also, you don't need a body to hide from God. The game can go on for some time in the next life.

The truth is there is no separation - by definition, when He is Omnipresent, He's right in the space you're occupying. We should stop hiding and go walk with Him.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:31 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Someone said "I will never leave you nor forsake you" Either that's (a) true, (b) they were lying, or (c) our view is conditioned by our own feelings, from time to time, about the matter.

And with respect to the notion that hell is separation from God it is answer (c). The worst (and judgemental) angle to take on 'separation from God' is that it is He who withholds His spirit from this 'place' called hell. ...utter nonsense.

The feeling of separation came when man got bodies, a Mortal mind, and chose to hide from God. ...also, you don't need a body to hide from God. The game can go on for some time in the next life.

The truth is there is no separation - by definition, when He is Omnipresent, He's right in the space you're occupying. We should stop hiding and go walk with Him.
Who said that?

Old 01-12-2018, 07:38 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
You cannot walk with him, if you are internally blind to his presence.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:38 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacecrusader888 View Post
Guillermo: Ama, is Limbo different from space.
Ama: They are different. They are different.
Listener: What is space? What is Limbo?
Ama: Limbo, it is not there anymore. During the time, during the time that the Savior Jesus Christ was not born yet, Heaven was closed. Those who died holy, like Abraham, lived in Limbo. Did you get that? When Jesus Christ was killed, in three days that is called His death, He went down to Limbos and He got those that died holy, like Jacob, Abraham, etc. And opened the gate of Heaven when He resurrected and He brought the souls of those who died who lived in the Limbo. And when Heaven was opened, and those who died holy were taken before Heaven was opened, there is no more Limbo. Did you get that?
Anita Pasion: And now, there is no more Limbo?
Ama: There is no more. It was destroyed. There is no more. There is no more Limbo.

Original Filipino transcription was taken from tape m43a.
Uploaded as http://aristean.org/pahayag105.htm titled "Ang Limbo".
So, a bunch of unsubstantiated...stuff...taken from a website of a character who proposes a whole bunch more unstubstantiated...stuff.

Useless.

Old 01-13-2018, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Who said that?
It's what I've heard, on occasion, in the past. It also lines up with the verse, 'my spirit will not always strive with men'. The issue is that that belief is a projection of man's judgements onto God, thus making him a controlling figure - a God.

Old 01-13-2018, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
You cannot walk with him, if you are internally blind to his presence.
Thanks for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity