Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 08:48 PM

73,006 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

I am. Alot of people say that death is a part of the life cycle, but the shootings of the past week are just sick. Killing people who try to bring a message of love to the world(I'm referring to the Colorado shootings). Killing people in malls. I am not surprised about the killing, just saddened. I am not surprised that someone would kill a missionary because Jesus was spit on and crucified(he rose from the grave after that), but it makes me upset. Who else agrees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 08:54 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,487 times
It is a very sad commentary on the state of our society and not just here in the U.S. We have no respect for the sanctity of life nor do we have any sense of accountabililty. It seems that after thousands of years and all of the history that has been written, we still haven't learned very much in this regard.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:30 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,080 times
Pretty bad. Prayers goes out. But we should expect more of this as time goes on America is not what we think it is.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:47 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Pretty bad. Prayers goes out. But we should expect more of this as time goes on America is not what we think it is.
It's a horrible tragedy and I think you are right, we're going to see this more often and more violent.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:30 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
there has always been hate and disturbed people. But it wasn't as easy for teens and others to have such easy access to guns. Especially automatics.

Now, it's the big bad macho thing to have them. Not for hunting, not for protection (even in areas where it's needed) but just because someone wants one. And everyone has enough money to get one.

It's hard to go on a rampage armed with just a knife.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:23 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
True, I blame modern technology; pulling a trigger is much easier than choking someone to death.
It is easy for a crowd to overwhelm an unarmed homicidal nutcase, but armed ones are a different matter.
To maniacs with a fully automatic rifle a crowd just means shooting ducks in a barrel.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:51 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,459,170 times
I often wonder about the sanity of our society, but the only thing I can think of is this: I suppose there have always been insane, psychologically crazy people. It's not necessarily a new thing, I think we tend to focus on current events, but looking all throughout history there have been plenty of clearly psychotic individuals. I suppose the scary part is that we live in a day and age where even if 1% of the world population is absolutely bonkers we are left with 60,000,000 people on the planet that are nuttier than squirrel poop.

To make things all the more terrifying, we also live in a day with automatic weapons, guns, and you can pretty much get your hands on any other weapon of choice that you feel necessary to commit your crime. As with many things in life, one big negative for humanity is capable of erasing ten thousand positives; or at least in the mindsets of the people watching it unfold.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:40 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
We should all be upset by the shootings...and very frightened, because it is happening so often and in so many places..Life these days is so full of pressures to succeed, pressures to be the best, pressures to make the most money, pressures to have the smartest, most athletic kids, pressures to try this or that drug, pressures to be the prettiest, thinnest, youngest .....I think it is very hard nowdays for people to be accepted for who they are, how they look and their different levels of intelligence or for their lack of "stuff" that everyone else seems to have..It is very hard for a child to be raised without a solid homelife that consists of families making time to just be together and bonding,loving, accepting each other and assuring each other that it's okay to be different.. Whoever said it took a village to raise a child had it wrong imo. It takes a family.....

Old 12-10-2007, 05:50 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
Quote:
It takes a family.....
The problem is that often the most heinous crimes (like murder, rape and abuse) are committed by family (or by people the victim knows).

Old 12-10-2007, 06:00 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
The problem is that often the most heinous crimes (like murder, rape and abuse) are committed by family (or by people the victim knows).
My point, exactly...There are very few real families nowdays..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity