U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 09:21 AM

10,290 posts, read 8,040,760 times

Advertisements

As I was reading some threads the last couple of days, I started really thinking from my own convictions where do I truly stand in my life with God? Is He my ultimate?
The scripture I was reading this morning prompt this in my heart.

Daniel 3:28
They trusted in Him and defied the King's command and were willing to give up their lives rather than serve or worship any god except their own God.

The question came to my heart do I or anyone live an outcome-based Christian experience? What I mean by this is, that are my decisions made based on the positive or negative outcome, not on absolute obediences!

You see Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego were three men who lived an obedience-based life. When King Nebuchadnezzar passed a law that said all were to worship his idol, these young men determined they would not worship anything other than God. You can be sure these men did not make this decision at the time of the decree. Their decision actually had been made years earlier. Their convictions were already in their hearts.

Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego were willing to die for what they believed. In this case, they were delivered from the fiery furnace. God used their faithfulness to impact a king, and they were promoted to higher positions.

Actually this started my thinking with the responses from the lieing thread.
I truly learned a great value! Was I going to obey God regardless of the outcome. The testing wasn't a test about am I going to tell a white lie about if someones hair or dress really looked good or not! It was a serious situation.

The real test I see now was who did I really worship? Myself or God?

See I always said and believe in my heart God would never permit me into a situation that went against His will. But He did!
Just like Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego who were they going to obey?

Food for thought:
Can lieing and so forth be considered a god? It is the way of the world right? Someone may say well they faced a fiery furnace and that's not the same. But isn't the worlds way the same as the Kings decree? Will God permit that fiery furnace in our lives to show us who we really worship and obey?

Are you an obedience-based Christian? Or are their situations that can move you based on the outcome? God wants to know that we will stand firm on the issues that are important to Him, no matter what the outcome maybe.

I believe this is the testimony the world is really looking for!

Am I truly committed to Christ? Jesus said, " If you love Me, keep My commandments. (John 14:15).

Whose life will be changed because of our love and obedience to God the Father?
This has really impact my life. What about your's?

Blessings to all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 05:04 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,303,726 times
Nice post Curly,

I tried to rep you but....

On Passion Sunday our priest asked, "will you follow the crowd or are you willing to stand for what you believe?" He was making reference to the crowd that had once followed Jesus, but was now hollering "crucify him".

May the peace of the Risen Christ be with us all...

<><weather...

Old 03-22-2008, 11:43 PM

756 posts, read 2,290,990 times
"obedience is better than sacrafice"

Old 03-23-2008, 12:05 AM

8,567 posts, read 14,518,646 times
Originally Posted by nay624
Quote:
"obedience is better than sacrafice"
The only one I truly obey is my conscience.
Disobeying my conscience would turn my life into a living hell.
Every time I obey my conscience I risk being cast out by the masses, since most of my decisions are unpopular because they do not support (short-term) commerce nor do they support (the popular opinion of) the masses.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:14 AM

265 posts, read 552,359 times
quote: "Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego were willing to die for what they believed. In this case, they were delivered from the fiery furnace. God used their faithfulness to impact a king, and they were promoted to higher positions."

what makes this point so wonderful, and true, is that most times unbelivers don't find our God to be real, until they see us walking around in the things that often kill others. when they find that our God does not need to always deliver us from the fire, but HE can take the heat out of the flames, then God's got their attention. it's not being cured from cancer that always draw the lost to God, but it's often living on with a sweet spirit, even when one has lost all the hair on their head. it's always the hottest fire that make men look. that furnace was heated as high as the king had commanded, yet the flames of hellcannot quench the love of Jesus.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:19 AM

3,798 posts, read 6,027,257 times
I hate the word obedience. Did I just say hate? OK I'll re-word it.

Obedience is probably one of the most overused words in religions. It simply is a form of control enforced by a particular "belief". Many fanatic's simply obey what they are/were told. Blind obedience is doing what we're told to do, without question, that's pretty scary if you ask me.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:14 AM

8,567 posts, read 14,518,646 times
I've just seen the 1st 2 episodes of the TV series Eli Stone, which is about a lawyer who is plagued by visions. It seems that Eli gets visions everytime he goes against 'his' moral compass. Because of these visions Eli is 'forced' to take on cases where he does not make rich people more rich (like he normally did in the past). If he doesn't obey the visions will haunt him more frequently.
I guess you could compare Eli to a modern-day Don Quixote who chooses (his personal) morality over reality.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:08 PM

10,290 posts, read 8,040,760 times
Blessings to all!
a snippet from Rev. William Marrion Branham, sermon.

"When you have a trial or test it shows Grace of God". You found favor with God, and God believes you'll stand the test. God has counted you worthy when you have a test. The more loyal, the more testing. Walk loyal to the Word, year in year out, and believe God. That's what Abraham did. When it looks like everything is going wrong...... Gods giving you a trial. He has confidence in you. You are a real Christian and it's to see what you will do about it. God has confidence in you, as He did in Abraham and Job. Fiery trials are more precious then gold. He knows you'll do it. He has put His trust in you. He says to Satan, "I can prove to you, He or She loves me. They believe that promise because I told them so".

1Peter 4:12-13
Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened to you; but rejoice to the extent that you partake of Christ's sufferings, that when His glory is revealed, you may also be glad with exceeding joy.

Last edited by Cyber Munchkin; 03-25-2008 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: added scripture

Old 03-27-2008, 04:17 PM

2,631 posts, read 4,832,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
I hate the word obedience. Did I just say hate? OK I'll re-word it.

Obedience is probably one of the most overused words in religions. It simply is a form of control enforced by a particular "belief". Many fanatic's simply obey what they are/were told. Blind obedience is doing what we're told to do, without question, that's pretty scary if you ask me.
i don't think that it has to be that way though. i think that the word 'obedience' has negative conotations now-a-days, mostly because of past domination. kinda like the word 'religion' has negative conotations now-a-days even though there is nothing inherently wrong with organized religion.

people's experience--and rightly so in many cases--makes them wary of ideas that have been so tyranical and bloodthirsty in the past.

obedience can be about fear, domination, sexism, racism, aristocracy, and many other horribly-flavored concepts. such is the realm of the abusive parent, the totalitarian dictator, the merciless religious leader.

but obedienc can also be about love, justice, respect, humanity, duty, hope, and courage. I think that this kind of obedience is what God wants. it is this concept that i think inspires people to sacrifice their own wants and desires for the good of another, for the good of a community, and for the good of their own salvation.

it is this kind of obedience that i believe we read about in the scriptures as our vision of true faith. through sincere, humble, willing (without coersion) obedience, i can learn to become more like Christ. i will be able to test the promises that God has made me, and learn faith.

for example, in the book of Malachi--among other places--God promises blessings to those who pay an honest tithe. He promises so many blessings that we would not even be able to receive them all. i could question that, ridicule that, be suspicious of that, and not ever do it, and i could still live a happy life. or i could try it out, pay a tithing, and await the blessings. if i obey, and receive the blessings promised, that strengthens my faith and my confidence in my God, and in His word. if i never obey that law, i never receive that blessing, or that faith-promoting aspect of mortal experience.

all of God's laws are like that. every law that we have been gven by God (note that God's laws come through mortal prophets, but that they are still God's laws, as opposed to laws created by men to serve their own agendas) serves to teach us more where He is, and how to get to Him. every law has the potential to teach us faith in Christ. i might not understand the laws right away, and sometimes not even years into my decision to obey them. but i do eventually learn the reasons.

this is important, because the gospel was created to be viable only through faith. i can never prove the existence of God to another. i cannot provide evidence that will empirically prove that Christ died and was resurrected. none of these things are possible, because God set it up that way. He made it so that we could only prove it to ourselves, and only by acting and witnessing the spiritual and temporal consequences of our actions. we would not need faith if tomorrow some scientist figured out how to call God up on his cell phone, and received directions to, and an invitation to the next celestail gala. faith will always be a part of our mortal existence, and therefore, obedience will always be a prescribed method to get there.

aaron out.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:33 PM

756 posts, read 2,290,990 times
for Trick D
"....To obey is better than sacrafice,...." I Sam 15:22b

"Sacrafice and offering you did not desire,....burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not require. Then I said 'Here I am, I have come- it is written about me in the scroll. I desire to do your will. O my God; your law is within my heart." Psalm 40:6-8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity