Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 03:31 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yes, if it was the "church" she was angry with, she would have shot someone other than her immediate family.
how do you know this dr.phil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You already know what I think of your opinion on religion, I'm sure.
ditto

Old 02-21-2018, 03:35 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
ditto

Old 02-21-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You could just say I was right about your motives and move on...

Or you could be honest with the truth and say that this is a practice of the JWs (which had a similar occurrence in 2001), or with that particular assembly and express some remorse that it happened. But you have to put it on the entirety of the church. That's just what you do.
you could just say evangelical interpretations are 90% error and 10% opinion and move on.

The woman decides that life ain't worth living, banished from her church, which probably included her immediate family, and she takes drastic action with tragic consequences and suddenly its all about ME??

Just like the Pharisees tried to discredit Jesus when he spoke truth they knew threatened their status and influence...

Old 02-21-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
But they don't so how should people react to you when you claim falsehoods?
get thee behind me evil...

Old 02-21-2018, 03:57 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
you could just say evangelical interpretations are 90% error and 10% opinion and move on.

The woman decides that life ain't worth living, banished from her church, which probably included her immediate family, and she takes drastic action with tragic consequences and suddenly its all about ME??

Just like the Pharisees tried to discredit Jesus when he spoke truth they knew threatened their status and influence...
You realize, of course, that the church in question is not necessarily an "evangelical" church, right? I mean..that really depends on what one calls "evangelical", I guess.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:45 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:

No... if she decides life ain't worth living, she doesn't commit multiple murders.

I made it about you because you didn't give all of the pertinent info because your goal is to demean the church. If you had mentioned they were JWs, it would make sense because that is a specific practice for them - which I believe is a misinterpretation of Scripture. And there are probably some assemblies that take it to an extreme level.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:52 PM

15,849 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Except that it wasn't "due to her being dropped by her church." She couldn't have been the only one to have endured this "shunning." Clearly, she had other issues.

And after reading about their tactics against detractors and defectors, they sound almost as bad as the "church" of Scientology--and I haven't heard of any of them responding as this woman did.
She's not. Plenty of people commit suicide because of the shunning practice. I'm on a recovery board for exJWs and there are suicide posts often. Some of those people get help and some we never hear from again.

She left a note. Maybe someday we'll have some more insight into what happened. The following is pure speculation on my part. I think she may have still been a believer and didn't understand what she had been exposed to. She may have tried to get away but if she didn't face the indoctrination head on she would have been at risk of it activating itself again if she came under stress. She may have thought by killing her family she was guaranteeing they would be "in the new system". In JW world anyone that dies this side of Armageddon is resurrected into the new system. There everyone will live 1000 years before they face judgement again. So, in a way, this is a win for her believing family that shunned her. Their intent was to bring her and her family back under Watchtower control because (besides dying) that is the only way to get into paradise.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:03 PM

23,126 posts, read 10,426,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
She's not. Plenty of people commit suicide because of the shunning practice. I'm on a recovery board for exJWs and there are suicide posts often. Some of those people get help and some we never hear from again.

She left a note. Maybe someday we'll have some more insight into what happened. The following is pure speculation on my part. I think she may have still been a believer and didn't understand what she had been exposed to. She may have tried to get away but if she didn't face the indoctrination head on she would have been at risk of it activating itself again if she came under stress. She may have thought by killing her family she was guaranteeing they would be "in the new system". In JW world anyone that dies this side of Armageddon is resurrected into the new system. There everyone will live 1000 years before they face judgement again. So, in a way, this is a win for her believing family that shunned her. Their intent was to bring her and her family back under Watchtower control because (besides dying) that is the only way to get into paradise.
You are right, it seems that people of faith can really be crazy, of course, I have first hand knowledge of being the most obsessive compulsive kooks around, I know what crazy is, and I know how faith can make a person crazy and loony, I just can't imagine a person of faith hurting anyone in anyway...........I know one thing, I know that I am certainly not any better than the woman who killed her children....I know that I am no better, found guilty.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:13 PM

15,849 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
You are right, it seems that people of faith can really be crazy, of course, I have first hand knowledge of being the most obsessive compulsive kooks around, I know what crazy is, and I know how faith can make a person crazy and loony, I just can't imagine a person of faith hurting anyone in anyway...........I know one thing, I know that I am certainly not any better than the woman who killed her children....I know that I am no better, found guilty.
What if you thought by killing your child they would receive everlasting life in paradise and if you didn't they would be destroyed by God? This religion, among others, denies certain medical procedures that cause themselves or their children to lose their "physical" life because their "spiritual" life is the only thing that matters. It's estimated about 900 JWs die per year refusing blood. This could be along the same line of reasoning.

I don't know if I would call it crazy or loony. These groups distort perception and reality. that's what they are designed to do to normal healthy people. She was raised in so she had no frame of reference to fall back on. Again, this is speculation on my part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity