Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 11:43 PM

709 posts, read 375,160 times

Advertisements

18. Every one that putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and he that marrieth one that is put away from a husband committeth adultery. (Luke 16)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 12:15 AM

32,530 posts, read 21,861,394 times
So, does the woman commit adultery also?...

Old 03-12-2018, 07:39 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,252 posts, read 4,280,974 times
I'm not sure why Mikko feels the need to quote scripture here with no start of discussion. I really don't need that from him, because I know the scripture. My thought is he is self medicating. I also suspect he's very judgemental, and there's several versus for that as well. "Do not judge, or you too will be judged' Matthew 7:1 NIV."

Keep in mind that wifes "putteth away their husbands" from time to time too. There are circumstances too broad to sum up in one line of scripture, and the topic is certainly more complicated than that.

Jesus also chose to forgive those that sinned and were repentant which is the more important lesson.

Last edited by LakeLifePA; 03-12-2018 at 07:51 AM..

Old 03-12-2018, 08:20 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,580,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
I'm not sure why Mikko feels the need to quote scripture here with no start of discussion. I really don't need that from him, because I know the scripture. My thought is he is self medicating. I also suspect he's very judgemental, and there's several versus for that as well. "Do not judge, or you too will be judged' Matthew 7:1 NIV."

Keep in mind that wifes "putteth away their husbands" from time to time too. There are circumstances too broad to sum up in one line of scripture, and the topic is certainly more complicated than that.

Jesus also chose to forgive those that sinned and were repentant which is the more important lesson.
Good thing you’re not judgmental

Old 03-12-2018, 08:29 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,252 posts, read 4,280,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Good thing you’re not judgmental
I call BS when I see it, and I'm not making a broad generalized judgement against and entire group of people. If you don't see the difference, I feel sorry for you.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:16 AM

10,955 posts, read 7,015,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Ainasoja View Post
18. Every one that putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and he that marrieth one that is put away from a husband committeth adultery. (Luke 16)
Loveth the wonderfulth Oldeth Englisth languageth. Thatth isth the onlyth wayth to talkth

What would Jesus say about being made to sound like this? LOL

I agree with Robert20170. What's the point in starting a thread and discussion with just one verse plopped down with no other words or points/questions behind it? I wonder if there is a CD rule about threads like this.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 03-12-2018 at 11:37 AM..

Old 03-12-2018, 11:32 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,817,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Loveth the wonderfulth Oldeth Englisth languageth. Thatth isth the onlyth wayth to talkth

What would Jesus say about being made to sound like this?!? LOL
Aye, so doth I. Tis just the way they did speak in those days.

He probably would have said "كتبوا بهذه الطريقة لأنك لم تستطع أن تفهمني بدون مساعدة بخلاف ذلك"
(translation "They wrote that way because you couldn't understand me without assistance otherwise.")

Old 03-12-2018, 12:08 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,692,812 times
Quote:
what we forget and what the Lord is working with me about too.. is that his laws are true..
so what we have to remember is first we can be forgiven eternally for adultery.
but his laws in this life are still in effect.
if you steal you can go to jail, pay fines etc.. and rightfully so .. in some countries you can have your hands cut off.. if you repent His eternal forgiveness doesn't change you going to jail for breaking his law and the laws of the land and or the laws of his love for your neighbor because you stole some physical property from them.

so there is two kinds of laws and two kinds of forgiveness.
he offers eternal forgiveness for adultery..
he asks us to have mercy for the physical laws such as adultery when you yourself have been forgiven or have access to forgive . but mercy doesn't mean there is NO repercussions for sin in this life !

but we have to remember it clearly states LOve covers a multitude of sins..

now who is willing to pay the physical repercussions of a sin unto your death for that one you LOve ? and you better mean it.. because that is what he did it for us .. who is willing to do that for the adulteress and his self? because there will be physical repercussions in this life for sins unto death ..

and in the next, unless you ask HIM for eternal forgiveness..

Now if you married a woman who was married(had sex) before she was a Christian and(if legal was divorced) when unsaved, then when new in Christ and in the physical you are made all New , she is not an adultress now .
so verses like you quoted are stating a concept or level of God's law. either a physical or spiritual law. we have to ask him how to apply that law or condition of the law to this life or the next . there are HIgher laws in effect . but higher laws Cost something.. like repentance or forgiveness or sacrifice

I will add a verses here and why the son of David died , he died then rose again.. his house condemned for love's sake !and yes his love covers a multitude of sins!

Sng 8:6

Set me as a seal upon thine heart, as a seal upon thine arm: for love is strong as death; jealousy is cruel as the grave: the coals thereof are coals of fire, which hath a most vehement flame.

Sng 8:7

Many waters cannot quench love, neither can the floods drown it: if a man would give all the substance of his house for love, it would utterly be condemned.

His house condemned for our sake.... well my sake anyway! there is an offer on the table for all who wish to enter in can enter in by faith in the one who's house was condemned for our sakes.. his love covers a multitude of our sins.. both known or unknown sins.

but God won't be mocked, sins unto death .. means that. something is going to die for it! who is willing to pay it for that loved one?

Sampson was and David was and Jesus was,.. and how many of our soldiers go to war for their families and their loved one's sakes? yes, their love covers the sins of those that they love. we all also enter in and live in peace because of their sacrifices for their loves!

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 03-12-2018 at 12:32 PM..

Old 03-12-2018, 02:49 PM

9,670 posts, read 9,938,192 times
Jesus died on the cross which God made Him the redeemer , so Jesus is worthy to redeem all sin including the sin of divorce and adultery .... So people need to forgive and pray for people they divorced and repent of these sins , and Jesus will forgive them , but the children will have to be taken care of as curses against divorced peoples children will have to be broken ..... See the more that you could do in they eye of God as people don`t divorce every day , but you can get Gods attention .... In some condition God will get the divorced people back together and remarried to the ex, as God can do all things

Old 03-12-2018, 03:20 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,075,915 times
Quote:
Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye. (Matthew 7:5)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity