Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 10:21 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,777,841 times

Advertisements

Khendra, you need to relax. Rest in Jesus-He already did the heavy lifting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 10:31 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,591,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
If you serious about your inquiry I Would go to Gotquestions.org. Explanations are far better than what I could do...

(15 questions)
Well, I am really not the wiser.

It states that

4) Archaeological findings support the history recorded in Scripture. Though many unbelieving people throughout history have tried to find archaeological evidence to disprove what is recorded in the Bible, they have failed. It is easy to say that Scripture is untrue. Proving it to be untrue is a different story. It has not been done. In fact, in the past the Bible contradicted the current “scientific” theories, only to be proven later to be in fact true. A good example is Isaiah 40:22, which declared that God “sits on the circle of the earth” long before scientists claimed the earth was flat.

In fact, archaeological finds do none of the sort. As example, there is no evidence of millions of people camping out in the Sinai desert, even though there have been many attempts to find the Moses trek and evidence there of.

It then says, to look at the Bible as proof of the Bible. That is circular. It tells us to consider the following passages: Exodus 14:1; 20:1; Leviticus 4:1; Numbers 4:1; Deuteronomy 4:2; 32:48; Isaiah 1:10, 24; Jeremiah 1:11; Jeremiah 11:1–3; Ezekiel 1:3; 1 Corinthians 14:37; 1 Thessalonians 2:13; 2 Peter 1:16–21; 1 John 4:6.

So, your suggestion got me know where.

Can you perhaps put it in your own words. After all, you did make the assertion initially, so I can only guess you would have an answer to that.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:56 PM

11,070 posts, read 7,139,669 times
Very simply, no, it's not a major challenge to be a Biblical Christian. Christians tend to have parts of the Bible that resonate with them, and other parts that don't. There's no problem with that. I personally gravitate to the Gospels, and Acts. There's plenty there that's useful for daily living.

As far as differences, so what? We're all different and have different tastes and different ways of seeing life. The Bible is rich enough to meet those differences. And differing opinions don't matter either, at least for me. I know what I believe and really don't care what others think. We're all each personally responsible for our own walk in life. It doesn't matter what others are doing or thinking.

This thread is much ado about nothing, IMHO.

Old 03-16-2018, 02:54 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,009,914 times
It may seem hard at first , as Christianity does require a lot of prayer , but People must get the baptism of Holy Spirit which comes with the promise Jesus said ``come on to me all you that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest..... take me yoke upon you , and lean of me , for I am meek and lowly in heart , and you will find rest in your souls , for My yoke is easy and my burden light `` Matthew 11:29-30 .................. See through the anointing which come through the baptism of Holy Spirit can destroy the yoke of the world and the invading spirits of this world , were believers will be free of works of the devil ..... As the devil can fill hospitals and jails and depression and discord and illness and deformities of the body , but Jesus has the power to be free of this were people can live long lives with health , but this does require a lot of prayer which the Spirit of God has

Old 03-16-2018, 06:52 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,162,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khendra View Post
I'm just going to come out and say it.

It is a MAJOR challenge to be a Biblical Christian.

It's the hardest thing there is.

Indeed, there is a MASSIVE difference between popular, contemporary, cultural Christianity, and actual Biblical Christianity.

The average Christian doesn't really know much about the Bible other than some of the most basic concepts. They might know that homosexuality is viewed as sinful, but they don't realize that adultery and heterosexual fornication is viewed as equally bad, and that those who practice such won't inherit the kingdom of God (1 Corinthians 6:9-10). Given that some statistics indicate that nine out of ten Americans have sex before marriage, that means most won't be going to heaven, unless they actually repent from what they've done ("as such were some of you," "go and sin no more," etc.).

Cultural Christians will also repeat saccharine cliches like "it's a relationship, not a religion." This is a false dichotomy. God is our Father, so there is a relational element, but we are also to follow His commandments (John 14:15). To be a true Christian, you have to have a relationship, AND follow the commandments Jesus gave us. You can't have a relationship with no boundaries (or else adultery would be ok, for example), and faith without works is dead (James 2). Most of today's Christians are so fearful of becoming Pharisees (legalists) that they have become the opposite (given to license).

There are also many challenging Biblical topics that people like to evade, such as the condoning of slavery and the command that slaves are to be submissive even to cruel masters (1 Peter 2:18), the subservient roles of women and the disputes of whether we are male property or should work at all, the stringent regulations on sexuality (can't even look upon a woman or else committing adultery in the heart; "let there be not even a hint of sexual immorality" Ephesians 5:3), the requirement of female head coverings (1 Corinthians 11), trying to explain many of the strict Old Testament laws...there is SO MUCH to try to figure out. Merely believing in Jesus is NOT enough, or the New Testament would have ended with the four gospels, and Paul wouldn't have had to write so much. Even the devils believe in God (James 2:19), so you need more than just faith. Continually trying to dodge the difficult topics, while saying "just believe in Jesus," isn't going to cut it. There are many regulations to observe in addition to believing in Jesus. You can't just say you believe, and then continue to fornicate, or wear short hair in the church (if you're a woman), and so forth. These are mandates in the New Testament.

I wonder if I'll ever be able to figure it all out, reconcile all of it, or live up to it.

At times, I have the quiet peace of faith...but honestly, most of the time, I'm still struggling with all these things, and more.

A lot.

Khendra.....quit looking at you and put your trust and faith in the one who IS perfect.....the christians work is to BELIEVE and trust in Christ. Your works don't save you.......the blood of Jesus does.

5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved
6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:
7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

The law should convince you that you can't keep it, and you need a Savior.......

GRACE saves people today....unmerited favor......you will find all you need to know in Paul's writings......

Old 03-16-2018, 10:24 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,019,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Khendra.....quit looking at you and put your trust and faith in the one who IS perfect.....the christians work is to BELIEVE and trust in Christ. Your works don't save you.......the blood of Jesus does.

5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved
6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:
7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

The law should convince you that you can't keep it, and you need a Savior.......

GRACE saves people today....unmerited favor......you will find all you need to know in Paul's writings......
G-d abhors human sacrifice and He states that no one may die for the sins of another, that each man shall die for his own sins...

Old 03-16-2018, 10:25 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,019,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post

I have no trouble keeping the Law...Why do you?...

Old 03-16-2018, 10:32 AM

1,183 posts, read 536,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Well, I am really not the wiser.

It states that

4) Archaeological findings support the history recorded in Scripture. Though many unbelieving people throughout history have tried to find archaeological evidence to disprove what is recorded in the Bible, they have failed. It is easy to say that Scripture is untrue. Proving it to be untrue is a different story. It has not been done. In fact, in the past the Bible contradicted the current “scientific” theories, only to be proven later to be in fact true. A good example is Isaiah 40:22, which declared that God “sits on the circle of the earth” long before scientists claimed the earth was flat.

In fact, archaeological finds do none of the sort. As example, there is no evidence of millions of people camping out in the Sinai desert, even though there have been many attempts to find the Moses trek and evidence there of.

It then says, to look at the Bible as proof of the Bible. That is circular. It tells us to consider the following passages: Exodus 14:1; 20:1; Leviticus 4:1; Numbers 4:1; Deuteronomy 4:2; 32:48; Isaiah 1:10, 24; Jeremiah 1:11; Jeremiah 11:1–3; Ezekiel 1:3; 1 Corinthians 14:37; 1 Thessalonians 2:13; 2 Peter 1:16–21; 1 John 4:6.

So, your suggestion got me know where.

Can you perhaps put it in your own words. After all, you did make the assertion initially, so I can only guess you would have an answer to that.
There is a plethra of resources. I am confident that you have already found “evidence” that fits your mindset and your beliefs. Good luck with that.

(15 questions)

Old 03-16-2018, 10:33 AM

29,540 posts, read 9,704,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Psa 115:16 The heavens are the LORD's heavens, but the earth he has given to the children of man.
Reminds me of something I often like to reply...

"Heaven and Hell are right here on Earth."

Old 03-16-2018, 10:38 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,591,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
There is a plethra of resources. I am confident that you have already found “evidence” that fits your mindset and your beliefs. Good luck with that.

(15 questions)
I'm going to repeat, as I think you missed it:

I asked: "How do you know that the Holy Spirit is the inspiration?"

That is a legitimate question, and I think you are deflecting, as you point me to a site that gave me no answer. How would YOU answer the question. That would be helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity