Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 09:33 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,132,082 times

Advertisements

Each of us have many sins. It's one of the common bonds between us. It's obviously okay though, and we can move beyond them. It's those that sin and ignore them and forge ahead unchanged that we (and God) need to be concerned about.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 03-17-2018 at 09:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 09:40 PM

6,790 posts, read 2,896,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
This post is based off an idea I had, that I believe God gave me. We should help bear one another’s burdens and share in them. I’m going to ‘tee off’ first.

I am such a hypocrite. I talk a lot about patience, and I am one of those impatient people you’re likely to meet.

I am mean sometimes. There are people who knock on my door asking for things. I have incredible difficulty saying no, because I love giving to others, and helping them, but they take advantage. I know I should help them anyway, but I don’t, because I don’t have much myself, and if I run out of food, or money, or other things before the end of the month, I am in trouble. I don’t feel like I trust God enough in these moments to supply all my needs, I shouldn’t be afraid of being broke but the idea of being broke freaks me out.The thought of a negative account balance really freaks me out.

I allow my neighbor to gossip to me. That kind of thing bothers me a lot. But I don’t say anything.

I’m not as good to my body as I’d like to be. I smoke (which in itself isn’t sinful), which hurts my body (temple of the Holy Spirit). I don’t exercise enough. I tell myself that I smoke so I won’t be so mean haha. The truth is, I’m addicted, and would love to quit, but I’m not strong enough right now.

I feel jealousy. I see couples, and want what they have, that soul deep connection to another person. I also see Moms with kids, and while I love both, it is painful to know I will never have one of my own. I am deeply grateful that God has given me so much, but I still want what others have sometimes.

Sometimes I swear. You all should hear me when I lose something (several times a day, this one), Lord have mercy. (the progression is: lose my keys, or something else>then my patience>then my mind)While I don’t see that as necessarily sinful, it’s something that I don’t like in myself, and feel embarrassed when I do swear.

I don’t study scripture as often as I’d like to. I get distracted by other things.

I’m not as loving as I want to be. I’ve said some thing to my brothers and sisters here (and other places), and I regret being so harsh, I’ve probably come across as angry and bitter, and I’m not. I have trouble expressing myself from a place of loving kindness sometimes.

Those are the big ones I struggle with daily.
I don't often respond to these posts with anything less than a 500 word essay; however, in this case I say, "Pot, meet kettle" with regard to a number of your 'faults'.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:42 AM

9,688 posts, read 10,008,103 times
When believers get the baptism of Holy Spirit God will initiate and prune out a complete understanding of sin so to resist and reject sin so God spirit can dwell with the believer with power ....... So then power to rebuke the adversary spirit out so sin is gone and any legalism resisting of sin will also be gone by His spirit ..... So then repent and pray for others and God will bless you

Old 03-18-2018, 06:00 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
This post is based off an idea I had, that I believe God gave me. We should help bear one another’s burdens and share in them. I’m going to ‘tee off’ first.

I am such a hypocrite. I talk a lot about patience, and I am one of those impatient people you’re likely to meet.

I am mean sometimes. There are people who knock on my door asking for things. I have incredible difficulty saying no, because I love giving to others, and helping them, but they take advantage. I know I should help them anyway, but I don’t, because I don’t have much myself, and if I run out of food, or money, or other things before the end of the month, I am in trouble. I don’t feel like I trust God enough in these moments to supply all my needs, I shouldn’t be afraid of being broke but the idea of being broke freaks me out.The thought of a negative account balance really freaks me out.

I allow my neighbor to gossip to me. That kind of thing bothers me a lot. But I don’t say anything.

I’m not as good to my body as I’d like to be. I smoke (which in itself isn’t sinful), which hurts my body (temple of the Holy Spirit). I don’t exercise enough. I tell myself that I smoke so I won’t be so mean haha. The truth is, I’m addicted, and would love to quit, but I’m not strong enough right now.

I feel jealousy. I see couples, and want what they have, that soul deep connection to another person. I also see Moms with kids, and while I love both, it is painful to know I will never have one of my own. I am deeply grateful that God has given me so much, but I still want what others have sometimes.

Sometimes I swear. You all should hear me when I lose something (several times a day, this one), Lord have mercy. (the progression is: lose my keys, or something else>then my patience>then my mind)While I don’t see that as necessarily sinful, it’s something that I don’t like in myself, and feel embarrassed when I do swear.

I don’t study scripture as often as I’d like to. I get distracted by other things.

I’m not as loving as I want to be. I’ve said some thing to my brothers and sisters here (and other places), and I regret being so harsh, I’ve probably come across as angry and bitter, and I’m not. I have trouble expressing myself from a place of lovingkindness sometimes.

Those are the big ones I struggle with daily.
Except for the study scripture part even an atheist would like to change those things about themselves.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:37 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,842,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
So ya did it, geekigurl. Let me just say that once again, you've demonstrated the characteristic I most admire in other people--Courage!

I actually have posted on here before as part of a conversation that one of the reasons I continued to go to a church where the main message preached is "We show our love for God by loving our neighbors" is because that doesn't come to me naturally. I have to be reminded. Sometimes the ones who need love most are the hardest for me to muster up love for. I see their walls and their anger and meanness and react in kind, but that's not the right way. Something makes people put up those defenses. I am learning to detach and not take things personally.

Something else I am working on that I don't do enough is remembering to be thankful. I take too many blessings for granted.

I get angry and forget sometimes that the plans are not all mine to make, but that has taught me--painfully--to trust God more. Still have a ways to go on that one, too.
Thank you for saying I'm courageous. Being so open is pretty scary, but I hope I help others being that way.

I'm a lover by nature. I love loving, and being loved in return - but I can be such a - sometimes, I can be really mean. I always feel awful, because that isn't who I am now, but who I was. Taming and subduing my 'evil twin' is a constant struggle.

Being thankful can be hard too. I have so much to be thankful for, but as I said, seeing couples being adorable makes me want that too, and seeing Moms with their kids...ouch.

I think Anne Lamott wrote that if you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans.

Giving up control is hard!! I struggle with that too.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Amen sister! You seem to do pretty good as far as I can tell.

Geekie, I read your list of "sins" and not one thing on there changes my perception of you. If I get one sheet of paper to write down all the cool people I have ever met your name is going on there (and a few other people on this forum). I see you as one of the most patient and compassionate around, certainly more so than me. I really needed your post because I've been having a bad few weeks and when I get down on others I get down on me. It really is much ado about nothing. XOXO

I'm glad I helped you, L8! I admire you as well. You were excommunicated to, and persevered through it just as I did. If you need paper, I have some lol. I'm a better person having gotten to know several people here too, I can come here, and spend time with you and others and feel strengthened in my faith, which is one of the great things about this forum, we are here to encourage one another.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
You have much more patience than I..sometimes I wish I could develop that trait more.
Thank you, Z. I wish I had more patience too, especially when I can't find things I've lost track of. Actually, I think if I were better at time management I'd probably do better.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
Geekigurl,

What a courageous thread you've started here. I have plenty of struggles with sin myself. I have a short-fuse and so I am sometimes quick to anger. I think I have become more patient than I once was, but only after years and years of walking with the Lord. And even still, I am impatient about injustice. I sometimes feel furious at how much evil God appears to allow people to "get away with" - I'm talking here about those who murder people and all the people in power who take up our taxes and use the money to bomb innocent people all over the globe. I cannot think about this without becoming incensed, so I'm trying more and more not to focus on it. It has even affected my belief in Universalism - made me think, wait, why should God save such savage people?

I'm totally with you here, I'm very impatient about injustice. I try to remember that He will make all things right in His timing. I do wish He'd move a lot faster on these things. I'm also saddened by the loss of life due to murder, and what I see as improper use of our military, and the other shenanigans various governments get up to.

Quote:
I had a fight with my daughter a few days ago (she is 25). She and my 3 year old grandson live with me and I just blew up because of something she had done that I felt was very disrespectful to me. She left and is staying with someone and is not speaking to me. Now I feel sad about it and concerned about her. But I can't take it back.
I'll pray about this for you. Our God is a God of reconciliation. When I was disowned by my family, I never thought I'd see them again, my Mom makes it up once a year to spend time with me, and we text every couple of days now. I'm thankful God brough me and my Mom back together, I will pray that God will do that for you, that God will help her let go of her anger. Have you written a letter to her? You might try that. If she won't talk to you, maybe she will read the letter.

Quote:
I love to give to those in need, but if I lived on a very small and tight income, I'd probably be just as freaked out as you about having nothing in the bank, so it is only because I have extra money that it makes it easier for me to give to someone who asks. I like to give directly to people who are in real need and I also give to certain charitable organizations, but I scrutinize them for how much they spend on overhead because I want my giving to be helping people who really, truly need it.
I live on Disability, stretching that out is a pretty delicate balancing act without giving to others, but I feel compelled to do what I can for whoever I can.

Quote:
I'm overweight and I can't seem to lose weight. It don't even eat that much, but I don't exercise enough and so I just can't get rid of my excess weight. I know I would be more productive if I could just lose the weight. One reason I have trouble exercising is that I have been sick a lot on and off over the years. I have several chronic conditions and a seemingly weak immune system.
I'm not in the best health either, I have one kidney, and it doesn't work as well as it should. So I lack energy to exercise much. I do take walks, but sometimes I feel so drained I take a nap after. Coffee helps, but it's not very good for my kidney, so I try to not drink too much. But after a few illnesses that almost took me out, I'm so thankful to be alive at least. I'll pray for your health to get better.

Quote:
I am a pessimist. I tend to dwell on the "what ifs" which can lead me to worry. I try to give my worries over to God, just to take them back again. I find that being a mortal is difficult an uncomfortable. I am thankful for things, but probably don't tell God "thank you" as much as I should.
Being a mortal is definitely uncomfortable. I'm the opposite, I'm Pollyanna on steroids. I've crossed, and recrossed my "despair event horizon" so many times, that I've realized I have already been through the absolute worst life could throw at me, and by God's grace, got through it. Life can't get any worse for me, it can only get better.

Quote:
My biggest fear is grief. Having lost my dad at age six, I have a huge fear of losing a loved one. I pray and ask God to allow me to die before all of my loved ones because I have a huge dread of being grief-stricken.
My biggest fear is being 'outed' in public. The murder rate in the trans community is crazy high. I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid it will hurt. I don't handle physical pain well, for I am a weenie lol. I'll pray for God to comfort you.

Quote:
Well, I guess I really am a wimp in a lot of ways.
No, I think you are very strong.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:22 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
A daily life consisting of lying about who and what you are is not one who seeks repentance.
Then, you (figuratively and specifically speaking) should be on your knee's!

Old 03-18-2018, 08:32 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,418,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
Great observation!

Confessing only the things you wish to improve on yourself is not confessing your sins. A daily life consisting of lying about who and what you are is not one who seeks repentance
One thing geekigurl is NOT is a liar. You are casting aspersions again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity