Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 11:58 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,388,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I blame religious fundamentalism for this struggle with sin that those seek God have, for us in the western world the fault lies solely at the feet of bible fundamentalists. They have lauded sin or to be more precise what they(not God) perceive to be sin over the grace of God. If the seeker of the Living God knew that sin was not an issue with him/she or whatever you want to label God, all the struggles they had with what they think is sin would fall away without them even thinking about it, before you know it, you would be liberated from all that is subduing you whether it was sin or not. Go seek anything outside of bible fundamentalism(it is full of death anyway so what have you got lose?) that will cause you to be still and reflect for a few years and you will return to Jesus Christ not only stronger and healthier but never moved again by your own failings.

Am i saying go and do what you want so that the grace of God abounds of cause not ?. You"ll know when the shackles of fundamentalism have been smashed open.

So true. Being your average human who finds it easy to dwell on the ways in which I don't live up to who I want to be (and that being compounded by my many years in the "poor, miserable sinner deserving of God's wrath and eternal punishment" mindset perpetuated by the religious beliefs I was raised in), it is the most natural thing in the world for me to be able to make endless laundry lists of the all the ways I feel I fail.

What I am learning, by the grace of God, is how to focus on how God, in unconditional love, sees me for who I really am.

So, yeah, I still acknowledge the things I don't want to be and do, and that's an important step, because it helps me to become more aware that the reason I don't want to be and do those things is because that is not who I really am. But if I don't want to stay stuck where I don't want to be, then I have to continually shift my focus to who I am "in Christ" (to use Christian-ese ).

"Be transformed by the renewing of your mind." That passage, when I first became aware of it, was a guiding light that led me out of the fetters of the sin-consciousness which some religious doctrines exacerbate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 12:37 PM

1,183 posts, read 536,827 times
Cannot talk about sin on a Christian forum. Congratulations to your group for silencing the truth. The world thinks like you.

Talking about transgressions is not there as a weapon but to show you there is a wall between God and man. If you wish to play pretend by all means. It just you eternal soul after all.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:46 PM

Default Title of thread: “My sins are many”

In response, SumTingy says:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
Cannot talk about sin on a Christian forum. Congratulations to your group for silencing the truth. The world thinks like you.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:54 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
In response, SumTingy says:

I think Sum may have been responding to post #18.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I blame religious fundamentalism for this struggle with sin that those seek God have, for us in the western world the fault lies solely at the feet of bible fundamentalists. They have lauded sin or to be more precise what they(not God) perceive to be sin over the grace of God. If the seeker of the Living God knew that sin was not an issue with him/she or whatever you want to label God, all the struggles they had with what they think is sin would fall away without them even thinking about it, before you know it, you would be liberated from all that is subduing you whether it was sin or not. Go seek anything outside of bible fundamentalism(it is full of death anyway so what have you got lose?) that will cause you to be still and reflect for a few years and you will return to Jesus Christ not only stronger and healthier but never moved again by your own failings.

Am i saying go and do what you want so that the grace of God abounds of cause not ?. You"ll know when the shackles of fundamentalism have been smashed open.

Is that the gnashing of teeth i hear ?.
You’ll have to explain how this relates to Sum’s post Jimmie.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:42 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Thank you for saying I'm courageous. Being so open is pretty scary, but I hope I help others being that way.

I'm a lover by nature. I love loving, and being loved in return - but I can be such a - sometimes, I can be really mean. I always feel awful, because that isn't who I am now, but who I was. Taming and subduing my 'evil twin' is a constant struggle.

Being thankful can be hard too. I have so much to be thankful for, but as I said, seeing couples being adorable makes me want that too, and seeing Moms with their kids...ouch.

I think Anne Lamott wrote that if you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans.

Giving up control is hard!! I struggle with that too.
I'm an Anne Lamott fan. She tells the truth with so much humor.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:54 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,844,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
So true. Being your average human who finds it easy to dwell on the ways in which I don't live up to who I want to be (and that being compounded by my many years in the "poor, miserable sinner deserving of God's wrath and eternal punishment" mindset perpetuated by the religious beliefs I was raised in), it is the most natural thing in the world for me to be able to make endless laundry lists of the all the ways I feel I fail.

What I am learning, by the grace of God, is how to focus on how God, in unconditional love, sees me for who I really am.

So, yeah, I still acknowledge the things I don't want to be and do, and that's an important step, because it helps me to become more aware that the reason I don't want to be and do those things is because that is not who I really am. But if I don't want to stay stuck where I don't want to be, then I have to continually shift my focus to who I am "in Christ" (to use Christian-ese ).

"Be transformed by the renewing of your mind." That passage, when I first became aware of it, was a guiding light that led me out of the fetters of the sin-consciousness which some religious doctrines exacerbate.

I'm not concerned with God's wrath, and have no fear of eternal punishment. My purpose was to share the things that I feel burden me. I have had my mind transformed by Him, but I still struggle with the things I listed. We're supposed to share our burdens with one another, so we can strengthen and encourage one another. That's all I was doing.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:55 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I think Sum may have been responding to post #18.
Sumtingy is consumed with sin, primarily what he thinks is sin in others, what he does not realize is the sin he beholds in others is his own. He is completely rattled by the fact that sin is not blown up to the proportions that he does by posters on here, and he refuses to see the way out of a life of struggle and being subdued is focusing on the grace that super abounds sin. I just read a post where he said Jesus talked about more than anything, he believes that although that is not true because he is sin conscious, he actually spoke far more about his Father than the few times he did about hell. I'm sure now he going to start posting hell scriptures.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:00 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
I think this passage from the service of Morning Prayer (from the BCP/Book of Common Prayer) sums it up pretty well:

We have left undone those things which we ought to have done; and we have done those things which we ought not to have done.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
I'm not concerned with God's wrath, and have no fear of eternal punishment. My purpose was to share the things that I feel burden me. I have had my mind transformed by Him, but I still struggle with the things I listed. We're supposed to share our burdens with one another, so we can strengthen and encourage one another. That's all I was doing.
I know. Just springboarding off camp’s post and sharing my thoughts and experience. In no way was I disparaging yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity