Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 09:00 AM

19 posts, read 24,671 times

Advertisements

We all know that our currency says In God We Trust...and God doesn't approve of gambling.

We of course use God's money everyday including in gambling. With that said..

When churches hold Bingo games in a church do you believe that is gambling? Seeing that it's in a church
do you believe he would see it as gambling? Or would he consider it ok because the money goes towards the church?

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 09:09 AM

11,068 posts, read 7,135,481 times
It isn't "God's money". People / early Americans are the ones who decided to put "In God We Trust" on the currency. It wasn't God who instructed that. Let's not mix up God actions with man's actions.

God didn't just limit money as something of value; it's basically everything: our money, our possessions, our health, and even our lives, as well as the earth, oxygen, plant life and food, etc. Only man would limit things of value to just 'money'. That shows how short-sighted and foolish people are.

Of course money can be used for good and bad, healthy and unhealthy. The same goes with other material items, and even emotions. But again, that goes back to man, and man's ways. God isn't at fault when we screw up and use money (and other things) in unhealthy ways.

Not sure what the point of this thread is...

Last edited by Thoreau424; 03-23-2018 at 09:24 AM..

Old 03-23-2018, 10:07 AM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemyladybabykitten04 View Post
We all know that our currency says In God We Trust...and God doesn't approve of gambling.

When churches hold Bingo games in a church do you believe that is gambling? Seeing that it's in a church
do you believe he would see it as gambling? Or would he consider it ok because the money goes towards the church?

What do you think?
Actually, the Bible never specifically addresses the issue of gambling for money being a sin or something of which God doesn't approve. As with many things, if done in moderation and not allowed to become an obsession, there is nothing wrong with gambling just as there is nothing wrong with drinking as long as it doesn't become an addiction. If gambling consumes your life, if it causes you to lose everything you have, then yes, you have a problem. Otherwise it's harmless and not a sin.

Last edited by Michael Way; 03-23-2018 at 10:22 AM..

Old 03-23-2018, 10:11 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,725,162 times
Quote:

What do you think?
gambling is in the bible.. what do you think to "Throw LOTS" was? , every tribe and people threw lots.. when they wanted to find the will of God.. ?
yes he can control the dice.. bones or whatever it is you need an answer about .
now that was pre HOLY spirit , (in all saved)... but sure I sometimes need a quick answer and will throw up a quickie prayer about some odd thing I need ... to find an immediate answer about .. he always provides it ..

this verse is and always has been true!

Mat 7:11

If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?
how much more easy is it to ask for and receive an immediate answer to need for immediate direction.
you know I have seen him make everyone at a party or at church wear the same colors, 100 people wearing the exact colors.. and done it mulitple times for me and for many reasons... or say that one who isn't in the same colors probably wasn't his
or doesn' t have the holy spirit and now you know who you have to pray for .
or he uses those colors to give me other directions..
yes He can and does direct his people in many ways. including he used to do this by the "lots" ..
all thing are lawful to the lawful.. not all thing are beneficial.. losing your money for fun isn't benefit. but if he tells you to go that, then it is different.

right-eousness means doing things that are right with him when they are right with him..not when they are right with you.
and old testament he is begging the Israelites constantly to inquire of the Lord.. and condemns them over and over and over because they refuse to inquire about his will. they did that by useing lots sometimes . prayer always , prophets sometimes.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:27 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Actually, the Bible never specifically addresses the issue of gambling for money being a sin or something of which God doesn't approve. As with many things, if done in moderation and not allowed to become an obsession, there is nothing wrong with gambling just as there is nothing wrong with drinking as long as it doesn't become an addiction. If gambling consumes your life, if it causes you to lose everything you have, then yes, you have a problem. Otherwise it's harmless and not a sin.
This, and I don't even care for gambling.

Heck, when Judas hung himself, the remaining apostles cast lots to determine whether Matthias or Barsabbas would replace him.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:17 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,707,735 times
I personally do not like gambling, especially all the state lotteries because I know that disproportionately they take money away from the poor who would be better off to spend the money on food and other necessities. I have always thought gambling is sinful. Just look at Las Vegas - it's also called "Sin City". There is a huge problem with the love of money in this world.

For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. And some people, craving money, have wandered from the true faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows. 1 Timothy 6:10

Old 03-23-2018, 01:03 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,725,162 times
also in the feast of dedication / of the temple/ Channukah.
we play a game called draidle which is a gamling type game.. we do it with candy with t the kids.. but they learn the concepts of gambling with this game.
but it was a game the jews played when they were being controlled by Greece.

during those 8 days we usually have a poker tournament using candy to bet..
every person has to being a big bag of kisses or GOOD candy, so it is basicly 10 dollars apiece to play and everyone eats their weight in good candy those days!! but we don't do Halloween or Easter etc.. so it is our BIG candy and sweets holiday.. Channukah is my favorite, then Tabernacles are my favorite feasts. but we get to play poker and eat chocolate candy ..it is a win win...:P

So Channukah is our bug PIG out time..
my grandkids this year learned to make gutten free donuts... OH man they were so good!

Old 03-23-2018, 09:22 PM

19 posts, read 24,671 times
Post Gambling with God’s Money

I'm on the fence for and against it as being gambling... What do you think?

Old 03-23-2018, 09:26 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:

I think if there was such a thing as a capital "G" God, it wouldn't give a flying fig one way or t'other.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:29 PM

371 posts, read 287,648 times
Quote:

Where does it say God doesn't approve of gambling?
And who cares if the unbelieving world places IN GOD WE TRUST on their money?
Ceasars money used to be dedicated to him, remember?
The bible says nothing about it except render to Ceasars, what belongs to Ceasar.

We cannot prevent that, unfortuantely.
The unbelievers do nutty stuff, what can you say?
Let them be.
Witness to them.
Don't worry about sayings on their currency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity