Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 10:22 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Nothing about the cross then.

And, also, this was spoken to a group of people in a specific time and specific situation. Verses 5, 17 & 18: "These twelve Jesus sent out... Beware of men, for they will deliver you over to courts and flog you in their synagogues, 18 and you will be dragged before governors and kings for my sake."

When was the last time you were dragged into court or before governors or kings and flogged?
Thank you. Was just about to post something similar.

SMH at the hubris of people sitting at their computer desks in their large safe homes with comforts that couldn't have even been imagined by people 2000 years ago and laws protecting them from being persecuted for their beliefs imagining that those words are speaking to THEM.

I knew someone a few years ago who went with this organization to Northern Iraq to protect the Kurds during the "bombing season" when Turkey and Iran were fighting over the Kurdish and (and the U.S. was providing the bombing coordinates to Turkey because they didn't want Iran to win.) He had to sign a living will as part of the deal.

Do something like this, Christians, and then you can apply those quotes to yourself.

https://www.cpt.org/

"CPT places teams at the invitation of local peacemaking communities that are confronting situations of lethal conflict. These teams seek to follow God's Spirit as it works through local peacemakers who risk injury and death by waging nonviolent direct action to confront systems of violence and oppression."

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 03-27-2018 at 10:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 10:33 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Wrong. Jesus didn't say "everyone". He said that there will be those [i.e. some] who will dislike us on account of our belief in him. There's a big difference between some and all.
Fine. I think people understand "everyone" does not mean every single person.

Quote:
People didn't get offended in Jesus' time, because they were more mentally fit, and didn't need to rely on the childish approaches common these days.
They were offended to a point where they murdered Him.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:36 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,845,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Fine.

Because he exposed their hypocrisy and self righteousness, and he threatened their power and privilege.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:38 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thank you. Was just about to post something similar.

SMH at the hubris of people sitting at their computer desks in their large safe homes with comforts that couldn't have even been imagined by people 2000 years ago and laws protecting them from being persecuted for their beliefs imagining that those words are speaking to THEM.
Finn thinks Jesus said that the truth of the cross is offensive -- (Paul, not Jesus, said that). But Paul said that the cross was offensive to one group of people: certain Jews (probably the same Jews who Jesus called white-washed tombs), who thought that they were special and chosen and that God was angry with everyone else. But the message of the cross was (and still is) that God was not holding the sins of the world against them. That was offensive to some of the Jewish people. If that is still offensive to ANYone in the here and now, it's a few "chosen" Christians.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:39 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Quote:
They weren't offended. They considered him a liar and heretic because he claimed to be the son of God, and part of God. They were speaking out on behalf of God - the one and only in their minds. They only saw the possibility of God (the father) alone, and took it upon themselves to rid the earth of anyone and anything that conflicted with that belief and view. They didn't have to take it personally, or get their feelings hurt. They were coming to the defense of God (the father), as they thought they needed to do. They also completely ignored all the signs and miracles of Jesus.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:39 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Because he exposed their hypocrisy and self righteousness, and he threatened their power and privilege.
So it's good to offend and expose hypocrisy and self-righteousness? Is that what you're going with?

Old 03-27-2018, 10:42 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
They weren't offended. They considered him a liar and heretic because he claimed to be the son of God, and part of God. They were speaking out on behalf of God - the one and only in their minds. They only saw the possibility of God (the father) alone, and took it upon themselves to rid the earth of anyone and anything that conflicted with that belief and view.
They were very offended, and made up the 'liar and heretic" accusations in order to have an excuse to murder Him.

Matthew 15:12 "Then the disciples came to him and asked, "Do you know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this?""

Old 03-27-2018, 10:45 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Quote:
They were very offended, and made up the 'liar and heretic" accusations in order to have an excuse to murder Him.
They didn't take it personally. The only one would could get "offended" would be God. But even that didn't happen.

They didn't "make up" accusations. Jesus clearly and boldly spoke who he was. All one had to do was repeat his statements, and then claim blasphemy. If God in heaven is the "only one", and Jesus comes along and says he's the son of God, there would be a conflict. But again, they ignored his signs and miracles. So without those, and only repeating his claims, to them Jesus was a fraud who "signed" his own death sentence. They didn't create any claims of their own.

We see the same nonsense these days, where people purposely (or not) leave out important details that change the accuracy of matters. And just as with then, it is a cowardly and deceptive approach for the purpose of personal gain or others' destruction.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 03-27-2018 at 10:59 AM..

Old 03-27-2018, 11:22 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
Quote:
"You will be hated by everyone because of me"

Why? Because people are offended.

Seems pretty clear to me, but clearly it is gibberish to you.
People are offended by the cross (1 Corinthians 1:23) for the reason Jesus put on it ... it wasn't because Jesus was a sinner. People are offended because it make us admit:
"All my righteous acts are like filthy rags"

"I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. What a wretched man I am!"

I am a miserable sinner deserving God's wrath and punishment both now and in eternity.
People are offended because the message teaches about God's wrath concerning sin and unrepentance ... not just that "God IS love"
"Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life,
but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them."

"The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be
known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them."

"Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God’s wrath comes on those who are disobedient."
------------------------------------------------------
People are offended by cross because
Galatians 5:24
Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10
Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

People are offended by the cross because Jesus just didn't say: "My Father's house is big enough for all races, gender expressions, and sexual orientations."

rather Jesus said:
“Go now and leave your life of sin.”

Old 03-27-2018, 11:26 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,569,508 times
“Did God actually say, ‘You shall not eat of any tree in the garden’?”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity