Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2018, 05:53 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Well this thread has gone far afield. The topic is why does Hollywood think Christian films won't make any money? This movie proves the do. The lesson should be to make more of them and do not dismiss the Christian audience that wants to see them.
Passion of Christ made a ton of money, as did "Moses". We can call Moses a Biblical film, although not Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 07:20 AM

1,183 posts, read 536,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Passion of Christ made a ton of money, as did "Moses". We can call Moses a Biblical film, although not Christian.
I think there many wonderful Christians films made recently that doesnt offend Christian sensibilities;
The Nativity
Ben Hur (remake)
Gospel of John
Paul Apostle of Christ (new!!)
Risen

Old 03-30-2018, 10:00 AM

88,570 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Well this thread has gone far afield. The topic is why does Hollywood think Christian films won't make any money? This movie proves the do. The lesson should be to make more of them and do not dismiss the Christian audience that wants to see them.
I know. I was laughing the other day thinking how the OP had started a thread that quickly went way off the rails from what she had intended.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:30 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
It’s time for anti-Christian bigots to stop mocking and start listening.

I thought the thread was about those who profess to be, but aren't?

Old 03-30-2018, 05:59 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
If that is my fate, so be it.

The truth of the cross is all are welcome to the table. My Father's house is big enough for all races, gender expressions, and sexual orientations. The truth of the cross is that ALL may come. The truth of the cross is that of Divine inclusion. The truth of the cross is that God doesn't hate f**s.

Do you know why the Gospel offends the world? Because it stands in direct opposition to power, privilege and empire. It exposes hypocrisy and self righteousness. The Gospel demands equality for all.

Christ could have devastated the whole of the Roman Empire with just a word. He didn't. He died for them, too.

Romans 10:13
"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."

Whosever means all, y'all.
I hope you like this geekigurl. Listen carefully to the words. It rings with the sentiment you wrote above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iets-qQ0Dns

Old 03-31-2018, 03:13 AM

18 posts, read 9,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
It's not, and I did not say I was offended. I said it "offends" [read: adulterates, degrades, pollutes] the meaning of the word love, which is the very nature of God.
[Hebrews 12:29] for our "God is a consuming fire."

Old 03-31-2018, 05:06 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,239 times
Hell has a consuming fire.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:05 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,709,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
If that is my fate, so be it.

The truth of the cross is all are welcome to the table. My Father's house is big enough for all races, gender expressions, and sexual orientations. The truth of the cross is that ALL may come. The truth of the cross is that of Divine inclusion. The truth of the cross is that God doesn't hate f**s.

Do you know why the Gospel offends the world? Because it stands in direct opposition to power, privilege and empire. It exposes hypocrisy and self righteousness. The Gospel demands equality for all.

Christ could have devastated the whole of the Roman Empire with just a word. He didn't. He died for them, too.

Romans 10:13
"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."

Whosever means all, y'all.
Bless you, geekigurl! I am so thankful for you. You are a huge blessing here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLDGVl8D5UU

Old 03-31-2018, 07:34 AM

18 posts, read 9,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Actually...love is only 1 attribute of God. He is also just, holy, and righteous. We get told daily here that the Biblical view of God is "barbaric". We get it. There are there those that are really offended by the idea of a sovereign God doing what he wants with his Creation, and punishing evil. So, people create a false version of God in their own minds that have nothing to do with the actual God of the Bible.
For at least the last several hundred years people have been going on and on -- head over tin cups -- with their various and sundry explanations about the "nature of God." Whatever that might be, according to most of them, God has a personality disorder and there's three people in there. Where did that come from? The Bible, they'd say. But that's only what they believe they think, or think they believe. Either way, a much broader context is demanded, meaning the whole thing, not just selected verses and random ideas without foundations. So I'm compelled to meet, just a little, the contextual challenge.

In the first place, at the Jabbok Ford, it ends up that the man with whom Jacob wrestled all night was God. He asked his name. God wouldn't tell him.

And then there's an Angel of the LORD. Manoah, the father of Samson, asked him for a name. He wouldn't give it, asking why he asked. So the man made a sacrifice. When the fire got going the Angel stepped into the fire, ascended in the flame -- and disappeared.

There are all kinds of strange stories about "the" Angel of the LORD. I don't think the determiner belongs in there because it suggests only one Angel of the LORD. The two angels that accompanied the LORD, and stopped by to eat dinner with Abraham, later went and brought down fire and brimstone on Sodom and Gomorrah. Two shoots down the idea of one (the) Angel of the LORD. (Does just any old angel have that kind of power?) The Boss visited with His friend for awhile and then went His way.

When Balaam failed to see an Angel of the LORD, the donkey did. Maybe cats can. What about **** ants? He did have a drawn sword in his hand. That reminds me:
[1 Chronicles 21:15-16] And God sent an angel to destroy Jerusalem. But as the angel was doing so, the LORD saw it and was grieved because of the calamity and said to the angel who was destroying the people, "Enough! Withdraw your hand." The angel of the LORD was then standing at the threshing floor of Araunah the Jebusite. [16] David looked up and saw the angel of the LORD standing between heaven and earth, with a drawn sword in his hand extended over Jerusalem. Then David and the elders, clothed in sackcloth, fell facedown. (NIV)
I'll mention that the place would become the site of Solomon's Temple.

In any case, a person able to read that and fail to become confused as a hog trying to eat a moon rocket, is a fool. We have God sending and the LORD bringing back. Who's who in all that?

The thing is, one SHOULD be confused. It was meant to be.

So here's the Patriarch again:
[Genesis 32:28] Then the man said, "Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel, because you have struggled with God and with men and have overcome." (NIV)

[Hosea 12:3-5] In the womb he grasped his brother's heel; as a man he struggled with God. [4] He struggled with the angel and overcame him; he wept and begged for his favor. He found him at Bethel and talked with him there -- [5] the LORD God Almighty, the LORD is his name of renown! (NIV)
Rather then admit confusion, the wicked promptly simplify the whole thing into the raunchy oblivion of human stupidity.

But guess what mark has been missed all along?
[Revelation 10:7] But in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he shall begin to sound, the mystery of God should be finished, as he hath declared to his servants the prophets. (KJV)
Most people are impatient. The idea of waiting on the LORD goes out the window and a longing for signs and wonders, and especially a "touch" from Gawd, takes over completely.

My friend says:

Let The Mystery Be.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:28 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Hollywood would not touch that movie, Mel Gibson had to finance it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity