Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2018, 03:21 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Pleroo,
But that's the message of the cross that Jesus preached which you're offended by. John 3:16-36 \ John 5:29
It's not, and I did not say I was offended. I said it "offends" [read: adulterates, degrades, pollutes] the meaning of the word love, which is the very nature of God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 03:25 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
It's not, and I did not say I was offended. I said it "offends" [read: adulterates, degrades, pollutes] the meaning of the word love, which is the very nature of God.
Actually...love is only 1 attribute of God. He is also just, holy, and righteous. We get told daily here that the Biblical view of God is "barbaric". We get it. There are there those that are really offended by the idea of a sovereign God doing what he wants with his Creation, and punishing evil. So, people create a false version of God in their own minds that have nothing to do with the actual God of the Bible.

Old 03-27-2018, 03:29 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Actually...love is only 1 attribute of God. He is also just, holy, and righteous. We get told daily here that the Biblical view of God is "barbaric". We get it. There are there those that are really offended by the idea of a sovereign God doing what he wants with his Creation, and punishing evil. So, people create a false version of God in their own minds that have nothing to do with the actual God of the Bible.
Explain holiness and righteousness and which one of the 2 did Jesus teach to abide in?. That's right neither, only in the love of Gpd can yoU BE holy as he is holy and BE righteous.

Old 03-27-2018, 03:34 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,320,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Nicky Cruz, the leader of a violent street gang, was very offended when he heard the words "Jesus loves you Nicky". He was so offended he assaulted the preacher.

What is so offensive about it?

"Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed."
I can't speak for Nicky Cruz but I have a story that may shed some light on it.

Backstory: Left home at 19 with $50 and told world was going to end. Also taught to be afraid of world, never make it on my, own ill prepared...Fast forward. I am 25 and I just bought my first house with the hubby. No help from my parents ever. I worked 2 jobs to be able to afford the down payment. Very proud of myself. Invite parents over to see it.

Story: So my mom walks in with a stack of Watchtower literature and hands it to me. She wants to talk about how the end is so near (1993) and that I need to get my butt back to the kingdom hall. I'm polite out of respect for her beliefs, keep trying to change the subject:

ME "do you want a tour of the house.It's not much but we can add an extra bedroom and bath downstairs when we get the money?"
HER: "Later, I wanted to show you this article I found particularly timely"

She reads from article. It's mostly about what the Watchtower says God wants from us. The whole time she is pointing out how "I'm displeasing God with my lifestyle (not being a Jehovah's Witness, going to meetings, preaching, married to "worldly" guy). I'm getting irritated by this lecture, the look of smugness on her face, just all of it but I keep my mouth shut. Then she says something along the line of "building up treasures in Heaven" over earthly possessions and how I basically gave up a year working all the time to have that house and I should have been storing up "spiritual treasures". Are you ****ting me? My face was red bu this time but I didn't say anything because why bother? Then she looks at me all motherly and says "You're upset right now because you know I'm right."

No plant, no bottle of wine, no fruit basket....just a "Let me take this opportunity to tell you how right I am."

TDLR:

It's not the phrase "Jesus loves you" that is offensive; it's your breath.

Old 03-27-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
For the umpteenth time, love IS the nature of God, and so all other attributes of God flow from that foundation. Otherwise, you are saying that the love of God is at war with the rest of what God is; a house divided cannot stand.

Old 03-27-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Ps. People SHOULD be offended by the idea that whomever is in power should be able to do to people whatever heinous thing they please. Otherwise, one becomes like a person shouting "Heil Hitler" and turning a blind eye to the evil that was committed in the name of "might makes right", lest you too suffered a horrible fate -- saving your own skin at any cost.

Old 03-27-2018, 03:46 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
He is also fair and merciful.

Old 03-27-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I can't speak for Nicky Cruz but I have a story that may shed some light on it.

Backstory: Left home at 19 with $50 and told world was going to end. Also taught to be afraid of world, never make it on my, own ill prepared...Fast forward. I am 25 and I just bought my first house with the hubby. No help from my parents ever. I worked 2 jobs to be able to afford the down payment. Very proud of myself. Invite parents over to see it.

Story: So my mom walks in with a stack of Watchtower literature and hands it to me. She wants to talk about how the end is so near (1993) and that I need to get my butt back to the kingdom hall. I'm polite out of respect for her beliefs, keep trying to change the subject:

ME "do you want a tour of the house.It's not much but we can add an extra bedroom and bath downstairs when we get the money?"
HER: "Later, I wanted to show you this article I found particularly timely"

She reads from article. It's mostly about what the Watchtower says God wants from us. The whole time she is pointing out how "I'm displeasing God with my lifestyle (not being a Jehovah's Witness, going to meetings, preaching, married to "worldly" guy). I'm getting irritated by this lecture, the look of smugness on her face, just all of it but I keep my mouth shut. Then she says something along the line of "building up treasures in Heaven" over earthly possessions and how I basically gave up a year working all the time to have that house and I should have been storing up "spiritual treasures". Are you ****ting me? My face was red bu this time but I didn't say anything because why bother? Then she looks at me all motherly and says "You're upset right now because you know I'm right."

No plant, no bottle of wine, no fruit basket....just a "Let me take this opportunity to tell you how right I am."

TDLR:

It's not the phrase "Jesus loves you" that is offensive; it's your breath.
Another example of the name of God and/or Jesus being "taken in vain" because the doctrines and behavior connected with the name are corrupt.

Old 03-27-2018, 03:52 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
He is also fair and merciful.
And Jesus Christ the exact representation of all that God is demonstrated that on every turn. Where are they seeing the condemnation then ? It's got to be in their own hearts. Every fibre of all that God IS was demonstrated through the son.

Old 03-27-2018, 03:56 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am sure the idea of pushing someone off a bridge warms the cockles of your heart.
Warning: Language may not be suitable for some people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOP6uMTYaM8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity