Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 10:44 PM

371 posts, read 287,648 times

Advertisements

Trying to understand this story. Of God commanding Abraham to bear a child with his slave Hagar.
And did he really favor one child over the other? meaning the child he had with Sara vs the child he had with Hagar. Thanks so much !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 12:14 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Did G-d indeed command Avraham to do it?...

Old 03-30-2018, 05:03 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,008,103 times
Abraham lived some 500 years before Moses and the ten commandments which God gave which said ``do not commit adultery ``........ Then Abraham did not believe the Word of God here which God said He would have child where Him and his wife where in their nineties , so He took His servant and got a son through Her which was Ishmael.......... So would you believe God if He said you would have a child where you were in your nineties ? ...... See God had a plan and Abraham lived for One hundred and seventy five years

Old 03-30-2018, 06:38 AM

1,183 posts, read 536,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItIsWritten. View Post
Trying to understand this story. Of God commanding Abraham to bear a child with his slave Hagar.
And did he really favor one child over the other? meaning the child he had with Sara vs the child he had with Hagar. Thanks so much !

Where does God say take Hagar and commit adultry? That was Sarah’s idea. God says one man one woman.

Matthew

And Pharisees came up to him and tested him by asking, “Is it lawful to divorce one’s wife for any cause?” 4 He answered, “Have you not read that he who created them from the beginning made them male and female

Last edited by SumTingy; 03-30-2018 at 07:12 AM..

Old 03-30-2018, 09:01 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,725,162 times
I just truly don't understand why madkind always blames God first.. we all have done it and will do it FIRST.. very first reaction .. why ?

it can't be the 3 fallen people who are involved in the story (besides God) fault? why is it always His fault first in the fallen persons mind?
maybe because it is fallen and already in hell.
and we have to ask him to get our mind-body soul ( Heart ..our seat of emotions and logic ) to GET and bring those OUT of hell for us.
maybe that is what the cross was about .. Jesus reaching into hell and bring out those who want to live His LIFE .. and have his LIFE living in them.. could it be that simple.. having their heart ( mind body soul, seat of emotions) washed in the Word and in HIs truths.. so that we can LIVE !!

Old 03-30-2018, 11:33 AM

1,972 posts, read 1,934,965 times
Quote:

that's not adultery

Old 03-30-2018, 02:27 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,803,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
that's not adultery
Sharp.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:30 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
God didn't command him to do that. He just did it because Sarah and him were getting nervous that they were getting old and hadn't had babies yet.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:19 PM

371 posts, read 287,648 times
Thank you everyone for commenting. My eyes are getting so weak,born with many disabiities and my computers sound shut off. So I cannot listen to the bible anymore but watched a movie at work (while on the clock) and wondered how accurate it is.

Totally forgot the 10 commandments were given later so that makes sense. Without the law, there is no damnation. And even in the movie (which are often wrong) it shows Sara as being the instigator of it all.
So my wording God wanted it wasn't correct either.

My ebay order came today. Hoping when I plug in my blue tooth headphones it will allow me to hear the computer again. It's a macbook air, so not that old imho. Not ready yet to buy a new one but am saving.
Per our son, it's best to wait until Apple comes out with a new one.

Thanks so much everyone

Old 03-30-2018, 07:22 PM

1,183 posts, read 536,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
that's not adultery

Of course it was. Even Pharoah knew about God’s command about marriage.

Genesis 12 18-19
Why didn’t you tell me she was your wife? 19 Why did you say, ‘She is my sister,’ so that I took her to be my wife? Now then, here is your wife. Take her and go!”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity