Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2018, 04:54 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,995,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
OK, that may be true, but faith should be based on understanding, and accurate knowledge as much as possible, with the power of rational reasoning, don't you think?
That quote is not true. All truly born again Christians have submitted their theology to a higher power, God. We admit that we can only understand spiritual truth if the Holy Spirit guides us into it. WE fully accept by faith alone, what God say in the Bible even if we don't fully understand it.

Without faith it is impossible to please God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 04:56 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
No incorrect quote is a good one.
Why say things are wrong without explaining why it is?. Only someone who thinks from a closed mind would make their case like that.

Old 04-28-2018, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
By all means present chapter and verse. So far on this rather lengthy thread we've been discussing something that has, as far as I know, been kept under wraps ...actual Bible passages that have led mainstream Christianity's teaching on hell as being a place of eternal torment for 'the unsaved'. If I happen to be on omega's ignore list, how about someone else who believes in 'eternal torment' step up to the plate with Bible verses ...?

Note: I know what those Bible verses are but I also believe them not to be taken literally so I am not making the case for 'eternal torment' to begin with. But, others are . . .
I don' put people on ignore.

I have posted what the Greek means in those verse Jesus said about hell , and I don' fee like doing it again. Since you have already rejected what they say, there is not point in trying to change your mind.

Why do you believe they are not to be taken literally? Let me suggest only because you don't like what they say.

Old 04-28-2018, 05:01 AM

Quote:
That quote is not true. All truly born again Christians have submitted their theology to a higher power, God. We admit that we can only understand spiritual truth if the Holy Spirit guides us into it. WE fully accept by faith alone, what God say in the Bible even if we don't fully understand it.

Without faith it is impossible to please God.
What's that got to do with this quote?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The man who has a certain religious belief and fears to discuss it, lest it may be proved wrong, is not loyal to his belief, he has but a coward's faithfulness to his prejudices. If he were a lover of truth, he would be willing at any moment to surrender his belief for a higher, better, and truer faith

William George Jordan
So what this is saying to someone like you is..... Ok, you believe the higher power gave us the bible, where in your bible
is the evidence that eternal hell exists,, where does it say we are saved from eternal hell, who goes there who doesn't and where is your evidence that once you are in it there is no way out of it?

Last edited by pcamps; 04-28-2018 at 05:11 AM..

Old 04-28-2018, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The fire is not without a beginning or end, therefore, it is not eternal.
If a fire is unquenchable, it will burn forever.

Old 04-28-2018, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Don't hold your breathe Romulus. The silence deafening. Omega saying "I could quote chapter and verse but i would be wasting my time because you won't believe it anyway" is just a huge cop out, never in the history of bible fundamentalism, has there been a fundy who will not take up the opportunity to quote the bible, that is what they are all about and their defense for everything in their world( i say world because it is certainly not life, being held captive by their own beliefs). It is extremely sad that they know what they believe is not in the scriptures but still believe it, while holding to the view "i won't believe it unless it is the bible".
It is not a cop out and I have quoted the verses more than once. I have even posted the Greek meanings of "eternal" and "unquenhable". It seems you even reject those words.

WE are all held captive by our beliefs. The difference is I can point to what God says. You can only point to your personal, unBiblical theology.

What is sadder is reading simple words and rejecting them

Old 04-28-2018, 05:11 AM

Quote:
You have yet to keep your side of the bargain. You said you asked for yourquestion to be answered first, i and others have obliged, why will you not answer the question put to you. You believe what is not in the scriptures, that is the only reason you cannot answer the question. I don't care whether you believe ALL the scripture or not, has someone who believes the scriptures i care that you add to it what is not there.

If God said what you believe about scripture where is it.
I have posted it more than once. I am not going to do it again for you. If you wan't to know what I said, backtrack until you find it.

Old 04-28-2018, 05:13 AM

Quote:
It is not a cop out and I have quoted the verses more than once.
Where have you answered my question with scriptures to support it?, at least be obliging enough to quote the post number.

Old 04-28-2018, 05:17 AM

Quote:
I have posted it more than once. I am not going to do it again for you. If you wan't to know what I said, backtrack until you find it.
Quote the post # then. You have not answered my question and you know it. Further proof that you know what you believe is not in the scripture but you still will not stop believing it, well did Jesus say that menlove the darkness of their own beliefs rather than come to the light. You love your own beliefs over the scriptures.

Old 04-28-2018, 05:17 AM

Quote:
That sounds word for word like a Baptistfundy comment
Yes you do. None of it was about going anywhere other than where Jesus pointed to......The Kingdom within, where all the treasures of heaven are stored.
That is because he is a true fundamentalist. We discuss everything in the Bible and most of what is in he Bible is not about heaven or hell. Most teaching in fundamentalist churches is ab out Jesus. Who He is and what He has done for us.

Most of your comments come from your ignorance of fundamentalism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity