Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2018, 06:52 PM

15,840 posts, read 6,306,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
Actually, there could be eternal flames in hell. I am not God.

Many think. that God is terrible and horrific if He sends people to hell for all eternity. They sometimes forget that is Man who is terrible, sinful, and messed up. Have you ever considered it is us, mankind, that is not thinking rationally because we are broken?

God says trust in Him.
Humans have the capability of some really horrific things, Yes. That still doesn't make that level of torture OK with me. I can't go against that because it speaks to my core values of mercy and you can't question it because it speaks to your core value about loyalty to God. I can respect that so I won't ask you to change your mind. You're not changing mine on this issue so it's only fair I show you the same consideration.

Now for some fun:
I got curious about the accuracy of my statement about an eternal flame being a metaphor for love(I assumed that because Joe DiMaggio had one burning for Marilyn Monroe). It turns out that's not right and the real explanation is way cooler.

Human-created eternal flames most often commemorate a person or event of national significance, serve as a symbol of an enduring nature such as a religious belief, or a reminder of commitment to a common goal, such as diplomacy.

So it can be used to memoralize someone who has passed on. How cool is that you used it to describe hell?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_flame

JFK

Perth

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 06:59 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,953,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I tend to lean with reincarnation of some type for most people.
You're not alone in thinking about reincarnation.
However, in Scripture it is only resurrection.
ALL the resurrections Jesus preformed were physical resurrections back to live life on Earth.
Jesus was giving us a small sample, a preview or a coming attraction of what he will be doing on a grand-global scale during his 1,000-year governmental rule over Earth. The 'majority of people' can have a happy-and-healthy physical resurrection with the opportunity to live life forever on a beautiful paradisical Earth as Eden originally was.

Only wicked people will be destroyed forever according to Psalm 92:7.
Please notice post # 1180

Old 04-29-2018, 07:06 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,257,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
You're not alone in thinking about reincarnation.
However, in Scripture it is only resurrection.
ALL the resurrections Jesus preformed were physical resurrections back to live life on Earth.
Jesus was giving us a small sample, a preview or a coming attraction of what he will be doing on a grand-global scale during his 1,000-year governmental rule over Earth. The 'majority of people' can have a happy-and-healthy physical resurrection with the opportunity to live life forever on a beautiful paradisical Earth as Eden originally was.

Only wicked people will be destroyed forever according to Psalm 92:7.
Please notice post # 1180
agreed. thanks.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:18 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
What makes you think we are animals? I'm not saying humans do not "look like" some animals perhaps, or that we do not exhibit some behavior that is called animalistic, but why do you think humans are animals. The Bible does say that Adam would return to the dust.
Genesis 3:19 - By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return.
Science, common sense, and a mirror.

What makes you think we are not?

Old 04-29-2018, 07:20 PM

3,796 posts, read 2,991,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Many of the clergy are counting on it
If they confessed and repented of what would be described as a "mortal sin" in Catholic terms, then they have nothing to worry about.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:54 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,270,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I tend to lean with reincarnation of some type for most people.
Me too. Can't believe i do, but if that is what it takes us to conform all to the image of Christ, then how can i object to it ?.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Science, common sense, and a mirror.
What makes you think we are not?
What animal worships_________
Yet people all over the Earth have been found to be involved with worship.

Animals go by instinct, whereas humans have, unless damaged, a conscience.
Some animals eat their young, but that is Not a common thing for people.
Eating another human is Not normal for humans.
Unlike animals, humans are usually morally responsible for their actions.

With some people they lack common sense because they look in a mirror and see their god.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:19 PM

1,183 posts, read 536,369 times
Quote:
I wonder to which hell are you referring because the Bible's hell is temporary.
Please notice Revelation 1:18 and Revelation 20:13-14 because everyone in ' biblical hell ' will be ' delivered up ' ( meaning resurrected out of biblical hell ) then 'emptied-out hell' is cast vacant into that symbolic ' second death ' for vacated hell.

It is Not eternal flames but eternal destruction for the wicked as noted at Psalm 92:7.
The executional words from Jesus' mouth will destroy (Not burn) the wicked as per Isaiah 11:3-4; Revelation 19:14-16.

As far as there being ' flames in biblical hell ' there is None.
The flames in hell teaching is a religious-myth teaching just taught as being Scripture when Not Scripture.
Can anyone think of anyone righteous who at death went to hell __________
According to Acts 2:27 the day righteous Jesus died he went to hell until his God resurrected Jesus out of hell.
Since Jesus taught 'sleep in death ' at John 11:11-14 then Jesus believed that while in biblical hell he would be in a sleep-like unconscious state. Jesus' teaching is in harmony with the old Hebrew teachings found at Psalms 6:5; 13:3; 115:17; 146:4 and Ecclesiastes 9:5.

The King James Bible translated the word Gehenna into English as hell fire and that is what put the flames in hell.
Gehenna was simply a garbage pit outside of Jerusalem where things were destroyed forever and Not burning forever.
So. Gehenna is a fitting symbol for: destruction, whereas biblical hell is simply mankind's stone-cold grave for the sleeping dead until Resurrection Day meaning when Jesus begins his 1,000-year governmental rule over Earth, then even ' enemy death ' will be No more according to 1st Corinthians 15:24-26; Isaiah 25:8.
No, you are confusing hell which is eternal and the temporal place after we die. No one is in hell yet until Great White Throne Judgment.

Many here used Hades as their argument to say hell is just temporary. No matter how hard they twist the verses, the truth never change; hell is real, hell is everlasting

Old 04-29-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
No, you are confusing hell which is eternal and the temporal place after we die. No one is in hell yet until Great White Throne Judgment.
Many here used Hades as their argument to say hell is just temporary. No matter how hard they twist the verses, the truth never change; hell is real, hell is everlasting
Since everyone in real biblical hell is ' delivered up ' (isn't that resurrected) out of hell before emptied-out hell is cast into that symbolic ' second death ' for vacated hell, then how can biblical hell be permanent - Rev. 20:13-14; Rev. 1:18

Wasn't dead Jesus in hell the day he died according to gospel writer Luke at Acts 2:27_______
If biblical hell was a permanent place then Jesus would still be in hell.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:56 PM

1,183 posts, read 536,369 times
Quote:
Since everyone in real biblical hell is ' delivered up ' (isn't that resurrected) out of hell before emptied-out hell is cast into that symbolic ' second death ' for vacated hell, then how can biblical hell be permanent - Rev. 20:13-14; Rev. 1:18

Wasn't dead Jesus in hell the day he died according to gospel writer Luke at Acts 2:27_______
If biblical hell was a permanent place then Jesus would still be in hell.
No. Once again, the dead is in a temporal place until Judgment. Satan himself does not exist in hell. That is hollywood theology.

Jesus went to Hades or Sheol, the place of the departed (souls).

Revelation 20:11-15 explains the two distinct places

Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. The earth and the heavens fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. 13 The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done. 14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. 15 Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity